The Hundred-Buck Amp Challenge

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
we may actually agree on something, well a little bit Hahaha!.

Hey, I can't believe it.:D R. Cray music sounds great. I can also get those sparkly cleans with my EL84 PP amp. Thing is, I'm trying to get fat sounds out of my telecaster, do you think this is possible? :D Oh that 50's Valco tone sure will help.

Did you build the ax84 6SN7 amp?

No, I built a Champ version with a 6SL7 and 6SN7. The 6SN7GTB doesn't work in a combo, when cranked up it starts ringing and doing weird noises. Slightly microphonic.

Is the 15 Watter you built your design?

I wouldn't call it my desing, I do a lot of copy and paste. :D But, yes, that's the amp I've been working on. The problem is that it's turning out to be too sophisticated for this challenge. I'm doing two differently voiced channels with a separate preamp. WDCW is right, the challenge is to make a great sounding low wattage bedroom amp. I have seen many Youtube clips and most of them sound awful. So now I'm interested in building a small one that actually sounds good. Not that easy. Wish this challenge would have ended sooner - it would have stopped me from attempting so many things.

I have been watching the live feed from the Lollapalooza festival and checking out some of the videos that have been uploaded from the first day of the show. Part of the reason is to check out what kind of music todays young people are making, and what kind of musical weapons thay use to make it. Some of the kids still rock!

I still haven't identified all the guitar amps that I saw yet, but this one stands out. I saw this being set up on the edge of the stage but couldn't make out the name. Someone posted a 1080P HD video from the audience and it is perfectly clear. As expected it sounds rather "metallic". The amp is from Dickinson and the cabinet is welded aluminum. Good view of the amp being spun around in the Youtube video. Hard to judge the sound on a video camera in the audience

Someone was selling a billet aluminum guitar a few years back called the Aluminator. It failed in the market because you couldn't keep it in tune as the temperature changed. The temp doesn't change much on a live stage does it?

Dickinson Amplification - Home

‪Knights of Cydonia - Muse @ Lollapalooza 2011 1080p‬‏ - YouTube

Hey, I can't believe it.:D R. Cray music sounds great. I can also get those sparkly cleans with my EL84 PP amp. Thing is, I'm trying to get fat sounds out of my telecaster, do you think this is possible? :D Oh that 50's Valco tone sure will help.

Yeah, Robert Cray has a good style--cool dude hey!

The only way I can think of that you can get a fat tone out of a telecaster is to get a chisel, hollow it out & glue in one of my guitars hahahahaha!

Seriously though, No I don't think you can hahahah!

While kicking the dog this morning thinking about you (joke) Haha I thought of a component I may be able to add into the signal path of these small amps so I tried it.

I got a strange type of tone with far to much signal pickup from the frets & it gives a strange tone. It picks up all the noise from the frets, strange sound.

Have a listen to it, yes it's me fumbling around on the guitar with a song I wrote this morning & am trying to work out.

I think everyone will pick what component I have used in the signal path from the sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2ukhvSwUKg

If I can sort it out I may have something, see what you think?.
The overdrive sounds sinful though & won't work at all yet.

Cheers

Please people, enough of these MSWOrd attachments!

I have to agree. I don't even bother looking. Not everyone reads this with a large desktop computer. Many corporate firewalls remove Microsoft format attachments as they can contain macros. Yes, they can be converted but it's best for the sender to do that once then to make each of several readers have to. The idea is to make it easy on your reader like when you edit away most of the quoted test and leave only what you are responding to.

I have been watching the live feed from the Lollapalooza festival and checking out some of the videos that have been uploaded from the first day of the show. Part of the reason is to check out what kind of music todays young people are making, and what kind of musical weapons thay use to make it. Some of the kids still rock!

Someone was selling a billet aluminum guitar a few years back called the Aluminator. It failed in the market because you couldn't keep it in tune as the temperature changed. The temp doesn't change much on a live stage does it?

Gday Tubelab,

I had a look at the link posted & a bit more, yes it's interesting to see what the young folks are up to.
One thing is for sure is that they have a wide variety of equipment to use these days.
What spoils it is all the el cheapo musical instruments from china etc, gone are the days where a guitar is called a musical instrument unless they are custom made or handcrafted.
It's heartbreaking!
I have had many cheap guitars in for repairs & or mods & some of them won't play above the 12th fret unless you use high gain pedals or amps, rubbish!

I had three acoustic guitars in just recently & some big name brands & when you look inside all three although different brands etc all came from the same Chinese factory made from the same el cheapo timber, plywood etc.
The same $3000.00 brand name guitar can be bought from ebay under a different brand name for $150.00.
Something is wrong with this world, besides people making huge money from crap equipment.

That's surprising about the aluminium guitars, the necks where very stable, more so than timber but lacked the tone of timber I believe, like the composite necks etc.
Nothing compares to old growth timber.

I may be wrong but maybe they where using Chinese tuners, these have a nasty habit of working loose or falling to pieces with vibration?

Cheers

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Someone was selling a billet aluminum guitar a few years back called the Aluminator.

They look funny but I rather touch wood.

SPECIMEN - Custom Aluminum Electric Guitars and Custom Aluminum Basses

I think everyone will pick what component I have used in the signal path from the sound.

Not me but it sure has mojo. Life is full of surprises - you seem a different person there. That piece of music has some life in it. Hahaha. I think you nailed it but whether it was alcohol in your bloodstream or a new component on your amp...I can't say for sure. :D Seriously, I liked it. Nice acoustic tone.

When you hear good music you are also in a much more forgiving mood about the background noise (again!).

It is easy to convert any printable file to PDF with a program like PDF Creator.

PDFCreator | Download PDFCreator software for free at SourceForge.net

Just print it, select PDFCreator instead of the printer and select a file name and location to save it.

I'm sure there are lots of other programs that will do similar things.

There was some talk about this converter and Malware but I have no experience with it. Some other options.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/787787

Best Free PDF Writer

Not sure how I got onto the Firefox convertor site, ignore the Malware alarm on PDF Creator. Sorry.

Last edited:
Not me but it sure has mojo. Life is full of surprises - you seem a different person there. That piece of music has some life in it. Hahaha. I think you nailed it but whether it was alcohol in your bloodstream or a new component on your amp...I can't say for sure. :D Seriously, I liked it. Nice acoustic tone.

When you hear good music you are also in a much more forgiving mood about the background noise (again!).

Gday Cassiel,

Yes, an Acoustic tone, it's one of the sounds you can choose from my guitars, my guitars have 8 different tone settings by using the two switches on the control panel & the pickup selector switch.
I'll attach a picture of the control panel.
The Acoustic tone is one of the settings as well as Blues, Heavy Metal etc etc.

Hahaha, No not alcohol, maybe some left over mind enhancing drugs from the 70's hahaha!
Like I mentioned once before unless there is some sort of sound from the amp that brings out the true guitars tone settings I get no inspiration to play at all.
I wrote that piece yesterday morning while watching some Wild Dear playing around at the back of my house.
I have added a lot more to it & am playing it better each time I try to play it.

That's more the style of music I play as well as Blues.

I did some more work on the amp last night & it has improved & doesn't sound as strange now.

Yes background noise, it's a very rough quick recording without any editing, to me the amp sound isn't good enough yet to get serious but i'm trying to beat these little amps into submission.
When I get them right I will record properly.
Until then you'll have to keep the umbrella at hand hahaha!
Normally if you don't hear background noise the clip has been edited that's why I leave it there at the moment.

Gday Gimp,
Yeah have to get it all sorted out first, I'm having a little trouble with some things, picking up a lot of fret noise at the moment but am making progress.
When I get it right i'll post a schematic.

Gday Printer2, costis-n
Yes, i'm working on it believe me, i'll beat it or it will beat me.

Cheers

Attachments

• Control Panel.jpg
    Control Panel.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 295
Started working on my chassis tonight. I have a lot of catching up to do.

Gday Printer2,

Cool, I've been wondering how you were going with it, keep us informed hey!

I've just started yet another design, I keep saying to myself, this is the one but I've said it a heap of times so far.

Years ago I listened to a small Gibson amp that I was impressed with at the time, I have been looking for a Schematic for ages & finally found one.

It's the Gibson GA-5T Tweed, this could be built with a solid state recitifier for under $100, getting a speaker that would sound the same would be difficult now I guess.

Here's the Schematic, anyone else hear these little amps before?

Cassiel, these little amps sounded good with single coil guitars, the speaker is the problem now.
PB2 or someone may know what speakers were used in these

Cheers

Attachments

• GA-5T tweed schematic.pdf
    37.7 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
I started playing around with a reverb tank tonight.

Danged if I can't find specifications for drive levels and output levels. I guess It's just play with it till it sounds right.

I suspect I'll have to add at least one gain stage and possibly two to make it sound right.

I'm sure it is over the top as far as the $100 limit goes but I want to try it anyway.

Busted the trem circuit by adding the reverb. Now I have to go fix that.

I bought enough red oak for the cab today. I guess I'll build a complete amp.

I started playing around with a reverb tank tonight.

Danged if I can't find specifications for drive levels and output levels. I guess It's just play with it till it sounds right.

I suspect I'll have to add at least one gain stage and possibly two to make it sound right.

I'm sure it is over the top as far as the $100 limit goes but I want to try it anyway.

Busted the trem circuit by adding the reverb. Now I have to go fix that.

I bought enough red oak for the cab today. I guess I'll build a complete amp.

Gday Gimp,

This link may help?

Don't drive them to hard & filter the output.

http://www.freewebs.com/valvewizard2/reverbdriver.html

Cheers

Where's Wavebourn & Tubelab????

I suspect they are up to something sneaky, there not the only ones though!!!

I lost the thread that used to be in the Tube forum; I thought it is dead already, but found it today here! I never visited Instruments and Amps, after some locals commanded me something like, "Go away from out forum, you know nothing about instruments and amps!" :D