The Hundred-Buck Amp Challenge

I recorded my clips by Konika Minolta photo camera. :D

A good low bucks mic that is well suited to recording guitar speaker cabs is this SM57 clone. The Sure mic is great but these are way cheaper really do sound pretty good. With good miss this cheap no need to improvise
GLS Audio Microphones - Orange County Speaker - Home of GLS Audio

The sound is close enough to the same but the build quality is only "good" while the build quality of the real Sure mic is "legendary" but at 4Xthe price.

See one of there take some serious abuse
‪Shure Mike's "Ultimate Drop Test"‬‏ - YouTube
‪SM58 vs. the Chicago Wolves‬‏ - YouTube

My OC Speaker clone would not take this

PB2, you wouldn't know what the Weber Sig 10F SVT is most like would you? I think it is a Ceramic but I'm not sure.

TKS

Seems that the Sig would be their Signature line but not sure what the SVT is.
Might it be VST which is just part of the Weber name, they have been called
Weber VST. The reports are all quite good for Weber, even for their Signature
line.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
No ambition to win.

And it may be a good thing. Good folks don't have much ambition, they're easily content. So far videos posted leave a lot to be desired - amateurish tag all over it. You want to win? Well you won't win with those. Seems wdcv is a luthier, here's another luthier from Madrid:

Luthier Marco Buitano Guitarras y Bajos Eléctricos

You can see he's got some ambition (wants to sell his guitars) so he doesn't post cheesy audio. Watch the first two videos. That's how things should be done - a decent audio quality. My God, this is an audio forum - NO MORE CRAPPY RECORDINGS PLEASE. And, if you can't play like that then hire somebody who can. LOL.

This is not about commercial sales, it is about a DIY competition.

You want to hire professionel guitarist to play?

Why don't we let the winner be the person with the most money?

Any more comments like this and I WILL POST A LINK to ME playing!:devily:

Last edited:
It's just that the sound of an amp can't really be heard on "noodling". How the amp responds to actual playing dynamics is everything. It's not going to fart out unless you make it work, nor is it going to thrill...

I don't care if it is "Smoke on the Water" or "Stairway to Heaven", I'd like to hear music played through the amp. Of course, if you're Joe Satriani and can just make something up on the fly, that's cool too. :cool:

...like $10,000/hour guitarist to play $100 amp? :D

Is there a $10,000/hr. guitarist? When a band shows up they typically are there from sound check till the last note. 6 Hours or so. Is there a band of 4 for 6 hours that gets $240k per show?

Estaban has his place just down the street. We do get visitors, some of who actually make a good living as musicians.

I think the proof is in how easy it will be for a semi-novice to build the design that also sounds decent, but not the best.