The Greater Ottawa and Environs DIY Audio 2016 Get together.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This has nothing to do with planning our get-together (I will add to that discussion sometime later):

Ottawa-area guys, especially - check the Swap meet forum NOW!

Our good friend Owen (opc) is hitting the road, and I for one didn't know that was happening. Although he just posted that he is selling some items, he is leaving on Jan 7, so you only have about 2 days for Ottawa pickup. I don't usually check that forum, so I thought I should post the info here, as well - I know that we've seen some of these items at our get-togethers.

- Ron

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the shout out Ron!

As mentioned, I am unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it ;) ) moving to San Diego in a few short days.

I'm selling a huge pile of great audio stuff, and I would much prefer for it to stay in Ottawa if at all possible.

I would obviously prefer to sell most of this stuff, but if you think you could give something a good home for a few years, then I would also consider loaning some of this stuff. In particular, the B&G line arrays, the dual 10" subs, and the Behringer Truth speakers. I will likely be back in Canada in the next 2-4 years, so that's the rough timeline.

Priority is always given to local folks, so don't hesitate to ask about anything. Everyone is also welcome to come brave my incredibly messy basement to audition anything they might be interested in.

Link to the huge sale thread is here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/284734-moving-sale-speakers-electronics-amps-dacs-more.html

Thanks to all of you for being such an intelligent and enthusiastic group, and for providing countless hours of great discussion and listening. I will very much miss the DIY community here in Ottawa. Hopefully I will get to touch base with most of you in the coming days!

My direct "electronic mail" is my first name, [DOT] my last name (which is Columbus), at google's only email service. Feel free to send me a note directly if you need to get in touch!

Kind Regards,
Owen

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Also, related to the actual thread, I would love to join you guys for lunch on the 9th. We fly out on the 11th, but will be staying in a hotel over this weekend, so I'm sure I will be itching to get out!

If you guys settle on a time and place, let me know and I'll try to be there.

Regards,
Owen

I don’t know whether or not I’ll make it to the lunch planning session, but I wanted to post before it takes place… just in case the conversation gets around to planning (I’ve been there for other lunches & sometimes camaraderie is enjoyed without much planning).

If Pierre is willing and able to book it, and the General Burns location is available, I have a preference for that location vs. the Makerspace. General Burns has its flaws, but it is a standalone building with (limited) free parking and both a ramp and stairs for access. Unless I’m mistaken about the building/location for Makerspace, it is on the 2nd level of a 2-level building in which there is limited, if any “inside” access to the 2nd level from the 1st level. The 2nd level is typically accessed via a big ramp, but the parking is basically “drop-off”, since there are very few spots. The big parking lot is at ground level, but a lot of the spaces are reserved use, while the non-reserved are pay & display (at least on weekdays). Also, since it is a multi-use building, I don’t know whether or not we can “crank the volume”. Those who are more familiar with specifics about the Makerspace location can certainly correct me on the preceding; I just wanted to mention my concerns.

And, the best event date “for the majority” is another matter that requires discussion/planning. To get things rolling, I’m going to suggest that either March 5-6 or April 2-3 might be our “first choice” dates. If not those, then sometime in Feb, or later in April. We need to make a decision in order to reserve the location.

Fyi – I didn’t want to schedule for (1) March 12-13, through to (2) March 19-20 due to March break on the OCDSB calendar; March 19-20 is also Montreal Son & Image; (3) March 26-27 is Easter. There may be other vacations or such on other date, but the preceding are the usual “conflicts”.

And just in case I don’t get to the luncheon, I’ll again (I saw him on Jan 7) express my appreciation and thanks to Owen for his great contributions to our Ottawa DIY community, and to me. I still can’t forget when he showed us the “Wire” modules at one of our previous luncheons, and told me/us that it was an amp! For me - a guy who thought that for serious audio, an “amp” meant something like a silver Pioneer receiver or some other “heavy metal” A/B – he was introducing an entirely different approach. All the best, Owen.

- Ron

Last edited:
Thanks Ron.

A very strong arguement for keeping our current location.

Parking is a big one to be sure.

Access for one and all again a big requirement.

And the ability to make some noise without disturbing our neighbors to much a third big plus.

Add in two quasi separate venues and it is a hard place to beat.

Yes it does have a fee.

But it is a modest fee.

And the fee is spread across all attendees.

The more that make it to the event the lower the fee potentially. That is if we have a baseline number of confirmations of attendance.

I'm happy to help plan. I'll be there this lunchtime.

A great basic framework to discuss today.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Notes from the lunch at Mario's

We had a good turnout at the lunch today: Dave, Grant, John (bearberry), John (multisync), Justin, Mark, Pawel, and me.

After some deliberation, we agreed that the Ottawa DIY Audio 2016 Get Together will be held at the General Burns Community Center again. I will look into availability for two weekends: the 2-3 April or 9-10 April. Until I get a response (which may take a while) my recommendation is that we consider the four days as possibilities in the planning of our event.

Speaking of which, this time we will introduce some novelty in this planning. As some members expressed so well, we enjoy the informal atmosphere of our past events, but organizing a few things ahead of time would allow everyone more equal opportunity to showcase their creations, focus on listening to music, vary musical selection/requests by more participants, and ensure equipment in demonstrated systems are of better matched calibre.

So… Dave has kindly agreed to set up a Google Document that will be used for participants to sign-up on line the equipment that they would like to demo, and their preferred timeframe. After a certain cut-off date, Dave and team will put together and share a schedule of the event, giving specific time slots for setup, introduction of equipment, listening to music including special requests, and Q and As.

This Google Doc will capture also one or two “baseline components” systems to ensure we showcase the DIY creations of our participants in the best possible light in systems that are complete and matched from end to end. As in the past, if we have sufficient interest, we may use two rooms instead of one, and/or run the event for two days.

“The talks” were very popular in prior years and will continue. There are some good suggestions floating already. Again, these will be captured in the Google Doc.

It has not yet been decided whether there will be speaker measurements at the 2016 event. This popular “service” was graciously offered by our local experts Dave and Mark. Alas, force is to admit that this interfered with the listening to the gear which we want as our main focus. For now Dave will capture requests for measurement in the Google Doc, and advise on whether this will take place or not. If there are measurements, they would be “by appointment only” i.e. requested ahead of time and at scheduled times.

What else… John (bearberry) has agreed to publicize the event, and be our MC for a day. I will take over if there is a second day.

It was fun to see you all at lunch, and to welcome newcomers. We miss Owen already - who we guessed was too entangled in his move to join us. In any case, we'll be in touch ;). Thank you all!

Regards
Pierre

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.