The future of analogue sources

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
At my favorite local haunt, Been Around Records, the twenty-somethings head for the vinyl shelves (three walls floor to ceiling - worth a visit if you're in the middle of nowhere USA) and also scarf up any old record player in sight. The ones I've talked to seem pretty knowledgeable and keen to learn more of the care and feeding.

Whatever the reasons, it's really happening.

Thanks,
Chris

Have you listened to a demo of the Smyth Realiser? I'm very much not a headphone person, but if I were, this would be at the top of my list.

I have not heard it yet (but will do if I find a dealer in Vienna); for "top of the list" the
price is a bit prohibitive 3190,00 € :-(

Congratulations gk7 for getting 'proper' headphones. I use much the same thing to evaluate changes.

Thank you John, 'proper' is almost an understatement they are really impressive, I wish
I could afford speakers who do only 80% of those, if they exist...

fashion audio world

Modern digital times call for smartphone digital nastiness and would label it inaudible, based on sophisticated aural research ;)

Attachments

• smartphone.PNG
    smartphone.PNG
    120.9 KB · Views: 128
Actually I have met a few that do just this right here in the Boston area.

The tone was more of folks filling the lobby at Virgin waiting for the latest.

I support these local folks (Salem MA) they even import a REGA setup. Has anyone tried the REGA phono to USB? This rig has to be better than the things I see at Costco/Target. OTOH if you check their catalog it is definately not pop music, but lots of cool stuff. :D

Important Records

Have you actually looked at real music w/wo the 22.05kHz brickwall filter? The usual demos are with impulses or squarewaves. Music does not in general contain sudden discontiuities.

So why test with it ...?

And the 65dB or so max S/N, assuming perfectly noiseless vinyl and turntable (which don't exist).

There's a reason that ALL mission-critical data recording and playback has long abandoned analog methods.

Depends on the mission ...

A few examples where I had numbers on hand:

Best: Ortofon Rondo, -80dB
Kiseki Blue Goldspot, -79
Lyra Atlas, -69
Miyajima, -70
Audio Technica 150MLX, -62
Denon DL103, -69

So I'll grant you -70 as a good average number for high end cartridges.

Thanks , generosity duly noted , anything on listening room noise floor ...?

Aha now 70 dB is an "average", first you claimed " 65 dB max."

post #158 "65dB or so max S/N"
post #166 "Best: Ortofon Rondo, -80dB"

Just 15 dB ...

Take it ...:)

It's a very common observation, and as the years have passed, many folks (including me) also almost always prefer an earlier to a later CD version of the same music. Very strange, since the hardware for conversion just gets better; so shouldn't a newer "remastered" version be inherently better, rather than almost always worse?

There are exceptions (Columbia, for one) but the general rule seems to be that modern (post maybe mid 1990's) remasters of older analog material are being made by deaf idiots, not to put to fine a point on it. They're compressed, often digitally clipped, wierdly eq'ed, you name it - it's being done. No reason other than stupidity, as I see it.

All of the hootin and hollerin about analog vs. digital is apples and oranges without a lot more control than is ever mentioned. Yeah, Internet.

All good fortune,
Chris

I can agree with most of this ....

Same here (50's), but I let myself free of using some emoticon(s), or not.

Chris, where do you see analogue sources say, twenty years from now?

Same as toobs , Sy uses toobs , so we know they are special like analog LP and of course not used on missions anymore ...

:D

And even digital storage is analogue
Thats not what I meant, do not confuse things.

- the underlying physical 'bits' are extremely tatty analogue 'things' in many cases, which require a great deal of processing and digesting - as a hidden, low level carrying on - before one can be 100% confident in them as digital data.

Sorry, that´s nonsense.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.