The Frugel-Horn Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
germpod said:
I do not know if there is a different Harvey for the fe127 in the works but personally I did not like the fe127 in my harveys. I am about to start building some other fe127 designs to see how much better they will sound. I am very happy with my fe126 drivers in my harveys. My harveys are the originals from the frugel-horn site and maybe the updated design will sound better with the fe127 drivers.

can you summarize your dislike for the FE127 in the Harvey to 25 works or less?

have you tried the Fonken yet? The FE127 sings very nicely in those (particularly with the Planet10/Enable mods) :worship:

loninappleton said:
I have not cut wood yet so the Chang is also a possibility.

Or not.

I don't know as how there's Chang for the FE127e configured.

The Fonken uses a lot less material than any of the bigguns, and if WAF is a factor at all, they have lots of that

regardless, best of luck

and when you're in the shop, don't drop heavy things on your toes :cuss:

cheers

To me the 127 lacks the magic of the 126 and can does not get basic instruments correct such as an accoustic guitar. The 127 also does not seem to have the dynamics of the 126, classical music lost it "oomph". The 127 did have better bass and less shout but not nearly eneough so to make up for the other stuff.

Frugel Horn Up and running...finally!!

After a false start they sound GREAT.

Source: Mac Book Pro
USB/DAC builtin the The DC Darling...
750ma. Output

Its only got 20 or so hours but boy am I happy with this setup!

I finished the Horns with a varnish, stain sheen.
The supra baffles are removable so if one of you guys comes up with someting more better, I'll have ago at it.

The Digital DC Darling will not drive the 126's to ear splitting levels but it will not be used that way.

I an shocked by the sound stage...W I D E and D E E P.

Thank You for making the cab...I do Love it

Phil
Santa Fe

Attachments

• dsc_0002.jpg
    dsc_0002.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 653
Crossblade said:
.... the corner loaded BVR sounds very promising! I'd personally like to see one for 8-inchers, which would eventually replace the Frugels ... :eek:

Scott, any alternative to the Replicon? :) and as other Spawns, usable with a variety of speakers ? :angel:

I guess you mean a single-mouth box, right (as Harvey, Iris & Bruce are basically double-vent boxes in the Replikon style)? Possibly. Just done one of the Chang style; this is the area I'm putting most of my attention into at present.

A larger corner-loaded BVR should be possible -I'll keep that in mind for future development.

How Low Can You Go?

I have no idea...but shall find the Chesky Test CD and see if that will do the job...or I maybe I'll haul in the signal generator and see exactly whats what. I hate using test equipment on audio gear except for power supply problems.

That Apple airport link has always been a big question mark I my mind and I'm glad to have a result that was so clear. I am a bit puzzled since John Swenson used a wireless system with his USB/DAC and got very good results. He was saying the it "decoupled" the computer from the DAC/ Amp and that was a good thing to his ears.
But not for me.

Does the Mac Pro laptop sound better on battery power or AC?

Got go let Miles out of the room...think He has been in there all day tooting his horn.

Phil
Santa Fe

New Mexico, just like old Mexico
only cleaner.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: How Low Can You Go?

Phil Townsend said:
I am a bit puzzled since John Swenson used a wireless system with his USB/DAC and got very good results.

Doesn't the Express need optical SPDIF to work with a DAC? The USB port is for a printer.

Does the Mac Pro laptop sound better on battery power or AC?

Don't know, my wife won't let me borrow hers and my iBook is so old the battery doesn't last that long so i leave it plugged in (but it cost almost nothing)

dave

Airport

In my main system the signal goes from the USB port to my USB/DAC then to the preamp.
I was using the main computer in its wireless mode to send the sig wirelessly to the Mac Pro laptop. Then taking the USB sig from the laptop to the USB/DAC in the Digital Darling.
I have tried the optical output from a Airport brick but the optical/analog output was just so so. I ripped open one of the Apple Airport bricks to see what was going on...it was not good. Well truthfully it was good for background music.
And try as I may I could not get the Apple Airport Brick USB port to send a signal to my USB/DAC. That would have been very cool.

Attachments

• digital dc darling.jpg
    digital dc darling.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 962
I put some putty around the magnet structure last weekend on my FE108eS drivers. I didn't go whole hog but just filled in the flat surfaces that might reflect sound. The effect was pretty dramatic. It increased the midrange resolution by quite a bit. I hooked the A/B switch up and could definitely hear things like the singer's mouth opening and closing, their breathing, etc., in greater detail between the modified driver and the other. I did need to remove 1 cubic inch of volume from the CC to compensate. I'm really happy with how this tweak turned out.

Doug

Doug,

Are those the one's you had at the meet? You know, we needed a longer day to give a good listen to all the gear.

What did you use for putty around the magnet?

One other thing, have you tried a felt "hat" yet? After Dave saw mine, he tried it on a driver and said that there was a small measurable improvement. The hat trick may be somewhat dependant on the cabinet as far as degree of improvement. Mine helped, others may not have the same experience, but I don't think it hurts anything.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.