The food thread

We have an old hand-me-down cb from my wifes grandmother thats written like that... I didn't see it on the shelf but I did find one I've never noticed before... no, I didnt bother to open it.

wtf1.jpg

Visit a Walmart
Mark, appreciate your input but it is a bit behind the times.
Walmart is all over the place here. One is a 5 minute walk, the other is a 5 minute drive. There are many here.
Metro Vancouver is a big and very diversified city.
We have more parts of the world here than so many cities larger than us have.
We have what others don't. We are very lucky.
You would love to spend a week here and discover of what I speak, trust me.
No matter your heritage, whatever your tastes, you can get it here.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I thought one only went to Walmart to people watch?

I do love American chains. Places were you can go and get your heart medication, a live lobster, gun cartridges, hunting knife, booze and some real food hidden amongst the strange rainbow coloured sugar coated packets. Oh and vegitables that are wet to help them rot faster. (aside one supermarket tried misters and ripped them all out after less than a year as we are just not ready for them yet).

Of course no link between me living near a super K and putting on 12lbs in a year :)

I thought one only went to Walmart to people watch?

I do love American chains. Places were you can go and get your heart medication, a live lobster, gun cartridges, hunting knife, booze and some real food hidden amongst the strange rainbow coloured sugar coated packets. Oh and vegitables that are wet to help them rot faster. (aside one supermarket tried misters and ripped them all out after less than a year as we are just not ready for them yet).

Of course no link between me living near a super K and putting on 12lbs in a year :)
You do realize I live in California? We get out ammo behind a 7/11, lobsters from Mexico, "Hunting knife" at the gas station and booze from the boutique distillery/brewery in the fancy shopping district, served by androgynous humans that assure you it is ethically sourced grain and only the purest ground water available from the one spring left on the local mountain thats overrun with homeless bathing in it.

I kid, we load our own ammo. Just took 2nd place today at a 600y rifle match.

Good old greasy BBQ burger for lunch after, at the range.

Oh, Tony might appreciate this one, snagged a couple bottles from Chico, Sierra Nevada brewery my son brought home for me...

20240322_181706.jpg
20240322_181733.jpg

Joined 2014
Paid Member
You do realize I live in California? We get out ammo behind a 7/11, lobsters from Mexico, "Hunting knife" at the gas station and booze from the boutique distillery/brewery in the fancy shopping district, served by androgynous humans that assure you it is ethically sourced grain and only the purest ground water available from the one spring left on the local mountain thats overrun with homeless bathing in it.
I have been in shops like that. Santa Cruz is particularly full of them :)
As a lousy Shot even at close range I take my hat off to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Cal,

The fiberglass density is much higher when you use it as additional sound absorption. Where it serves is damping the longitudinal waves through the metal stud penetrations and the electrical boxes on each side.

Just to stay on the thread’s topic, what are the best pizza toppings?

Artichoke hearts, feta cheese, anchovies, salty Spanish olives, olive oil.

Sometimes, though, I'll go with Canadian Bacon, pineapple and mozarella.

Joined 2010
Paid Member

Good old greasy BBQ burger for lunch after, at the range.

Oh, Tony might appreciate this one, snagged a couple bottles from Chico, Sierra Nevada brewery my son brought home for me...

I've had that beer.... pretty good, for sure. Sierra Nevada makes some really good brews from top to bottom of their line.

I get my ammo in Huntington Beach... heck, today they were supposed to have a Parking Lot Sale but we had pretty heavy rain from 10AM to 1PM... so I didn't go. Another place is Cabelas, right off the 5, a little bit north of Shasta where they don't charge sales tax: (wink, wink)

"Wow, that's a lot of ammo... where do you live? {mumble, mumble}.. Aaah, say no more... here let me help you..."

Sure, like the buffoons in Sacramento want ammo with individual serial numbers, huh?

I know people who load their ammo, I just don't use enough of it so it's not really worth my time.

Burgers... sorry.... either I make them myself ( Have you ever tried making your own prime grade Ribeye burgers? Being freshly ground you can just cook them medium rare.... yum! ) or we just do In'N'Out.

Organic booze... like I said, I have no time to drink inorganic stuff. You can keep your inorganic alkaline solutions to yourself.

There was a fellow I knew who took his girlfriend to the pizza parlor where they met to show her the diamond ring and propose. But first he brought the pizza from the counter to their table. She saw the anchovies on it. She figured by now he should have known she absolutely hated anchovies, so as he sat down, she got up and left.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Mark, appreciate your input but it is a bit behind the times.
Walmart is all over the place here. One is a 5 minute walk, the other is a 5 minute drive. There are many here.
Metro Vancouver is a big and very diversified city.
We have more parts of the world here than so many cities larger than us have.
We have what others don't. We are very lucky.
You would love to spend a week here and discover of what I speak, trust me.
No matter your heritage, whatever your tastes, you can get it here.

No Walmart in my city.

Not at all, not welcome.

And we're a Big Enough City in the middle of a metropolis.

Come to think about it, I don't think there are any Walmarts West of the 405, for sure.. or Southwest of the 55 and 5.

Lots of Costcos though.

+++

I'll bet you don't have Vegetarian Muslim Manchu (sort of Chinese) restaurants in BC. Kid you not, there used to be one in Gardena... did awesome stuff with tofu. But we haven't gone there since '21.

How about good paella from a Valencian restaurant? I thought so...

Hawai'ian? Okinawan? Good Yudofu?

++++

If I had to choose only TWO places in the World to live and eat... it would be SoCal and West New Jersey ( Hoboken has fantastic food ).

Artichoke hearts, feta cheese, anchovies, salty Spanish olives, olive oil.

Sometimes, though, I'll go with Canadian Bacon, pineapple and mozarella.
You sounded like my best friend until you said pineapple. That is the worst thing Canada did to pizza and I would like to state publicly that anyone who considers pineapple on a pizza as acceptable is not welcome in my house. Tony, your daughter, the super chef, should smack you silly for this. If not, I am happy to take her place.

Last edited:
My honey promised me pizza tomorrow and I promised her to behave better than you. I might not have the beloved tinned anchovies on hand, but sure as gawd, the pineapple will be part of dessert.
Btw Tony, whats for din tonight?

Ours will be simple pork ribs, garlic toast and aspergrass. Honey will surprise me as she always does with dessert.

Last edited: