The food thread

Tonight is cream of aspergrass (sic) soup and garlic buns. If I need meat there is a shipload of chicken.

Honey likes to get a large bag of drums, debone and flavour them. My job it to toss them into a grilling basket and cook over fire. Me like!
Can't say even the best fried or roasted chicken is as good as a smoky grill when the chicken is properly marinaded.

my days are so much more balanced and enjoyable relaxed anxiety is virtually gone
You'll have to stop there my man, you're starting to **** me off.
Guys your age aren't allowed to be this happy.
Mind you, if I was on a diet of nothing but my three favourite food groups, meat, salt and certain liquids, I'd probably be happy right up until I died...

...a few weeks from now.

Reactions: 1 user
Very late meal for me tonight, had to meet someone to sell my project car after work. Didn't feel like take out, so kinda winged it.

Gumbo-ish in an hour.

Dark roux, onions, celery, carrots. Didnt have any bells for a holy trinity. Dried guajillo and pasilla chiles. Smoked paprika, white pepper, garlic powder, chile powder. Chicken boullion, smoked sausage because I didn't have andouille. Bring to a heavy simmer and reduce by half.

Jasmine rice, seasoned with herbs de prevonce, butter and more paprika.

20240319_215222.jpg
20240319_221317.jpg
20240319_222415.jpg
20240319_223653.jpg

There are a couple rules when it comes to gumbo, #1 its always done with a dark roux. Like chocolate bar dark. #2 use holy trinity instead of mire poix. #3 NO TOMATOES!

Gumbo is served over rice.
Jambalaya is made with rice in it.

Both can be made strictly plant based, though andouille sausage is the key ingredient in both. I'm sure you have your substitutes. I don't know if you eat fish/shellfish but shrimp is an excellent choice, if so.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Sold my '66 VW bug to a friend.
Yeah those are great fun but always something to do on them to keep the tinworm out
There are a couple rules when it comes to gumbo, #1 its always done with a dark roux. Like chocolate bar dark. #2 use holy trinity instead of mire poix. #3 NO TOMATOES!
Some research suggests there are regional disagreements over tomato :p Anyway I will experiment first with the Roux then work out what I can chuck in.

If you like pickled asparagus, the stovetop method is fast and easy. It also tastes better than the stuff from a jar.

Water
Vinegar
Coarse salt
Pinch sugar.

Nest your fry pans to keep the stalks submerged.
Simmer on very low for about 10 minutes until desired tenderness.

Attachments

• IMG_0169 (1).jpeg
    IMG_0169 (1).jpeg
    311.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0168.jpeg
    IMG_0168.jpeg
    304.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Well, I guess it's time to make a gumbo. It's one of the recipes I still make full scale since the kids have grown up and moved out. The leftovers never go to waste. For anyone Cajun/Creole curious, John Folse and The encyclopedia of Cajun and Creole cuisine is a veritable gold mine. As a transplant from S Louisiana, it's my most used cookbook by far.

That's it Bill, thank you.

Actually the cook book I cherish to this day is the 'Women's Home Companion Cookbook'
Printed during the early days of WWII it is delightfully nostalgic.
Not only did they tell the lady of the house that she should boil Okra for 30 minutes, they also told her to put ashtrays on the table because the people were going to smoke anyways, so just deal with it.
It also told her how to make desserts with less sugar due to rationing, and how if you couldn't afford a nice sirloin steak, that there were ways to deal with rib steaks that would be equally appetizing.
It speaks to how the efforts were to be elsewhere in the world and it was up to her to ensure that during these times, she was the one to make her family nutritionally and taste bud satisfied.
It also mentioned things like when she was happy to see her husband at the end of the day, she was to be dressed into something pretty to greet him at the end of his long day. It also cautioned her not to do all that women speak stuff as what he really wanted was the evening paper, his slippers and a nice cocktail that she was to have ready for him in his easy chair. It again cautioned about getting him aggravated as men can become aggressive when pushed too hard.

This book is gold. I think I am going to personally do a reprint and distribute to anyone who will take one. ;)

Oops, did I say that out loud?