The food thread

Comically, due to life circumstances, we're doing the corned beef brisket tonight. Because no one is home to babysit (and it's a good technique for this), I've got it going all day at 175 °F in the SV circulator. Will do oven roasted cabbage + fixin's when I get home tonight to round out the meal.

Dad absolutely loves his corned beef whereas I'm a bit less enthusiastic. Hopefully the roast veggies elevate the meal a bit. We'll see!

It was time to do this salad with duckbreast again, a very light dish, one breast is enough for 2 or 3 persons and the whole thing is done within 45 Minutes max.

Attachments

• IMG_5919.jpg
    IMG_5919.jpg
    564.5 KB · Views: 123
Scandinavian pedigree.

I heard some audio recordings of older Shetlanders speaking, it's an unusual accent. Definitely Scots but a very noticeable Scandinavian inflection. Most of north eastern Scotland was ruled by Norse kings for a time and crawling with Vikings before that. When I was in Wick a couple of years ago we walked to the old castle ruin, the guy who built it was Scots on one side and Norse on the other. Probably built the castle to keep both families away!

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I'm part Scottish. My grandma on my dads side was Scottish. I have no idea what it means aside from what I know of Groundskeeper Willie and I wonder why he hasn't bashed the sod out of Homer Simpson for being Irish.

I also seem to have had a genetic likeness for various things Scottish such as plaid fabrics and designs (as a kid I used to like the plaid red pattern on various things like flasks and other things in old Salvation Army stores).

I also liked Scottish music and loved the movie Highlander and my father always had a mean temper.

I haven't yet tried Haggis or Scotch Whiskey, crime against humanity I know.

Who knew I would turn out to be Scottish after all.

Last edited:
It appears that duck (like rabbit) is way more popular in Europe.
Years ago I would once in a while see rabbit in the grocery store,
but no longer. (I can find a frozen duck, if I look hard enough)

Skip the rabbit even if you find it the Pel-Freez folks are as about as bad as it gets. It's sad that some alternative meats were actually available in the 70's from small farms but everything has gravitated to a narrow mainstream for economic reasons.