The food thread

Tony, sorry, I know what you did and your capabilities.
It was for Bill....I have no idea of his profession, or his education.

Enough about that for now.

Apart from beef, what other tough meats are cooked using this technique (goat, lamb and chicken will disintegrate)?
Pork, venison, emu, turkey?
Game meat such as boar, and others?

All meat is good for the immersion cooker. It’s just not needed for softer meats like chicken as the big advantage to this cooking is that it can tenderize and not overcook. While I have done chicken a number of times, it was more for experimentation than anything else. If you like the Chinese style yellow chicken, it’s ideal but not for your average roasted or grilled style.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Mrs. J. is a huge fan of "pub style" burgers, which are 3.5" diameter, 1.5" thick, and contain 1/2 pound of 75-25 ground beef. (metric: diam=89mm, thickness=38mm, weight=227g, fat content by weight=25%). She absolutely LOVES them cooked sous-vide for 90 minutes, followed by 45 seconds sear per side in a ripping hot cast iron pan.

When she cuts her finished burger in half she wants the meat color to be red, about halfway between "Rare" and "Medium Rare", with no Gray Zone at top and bottom. The sous-vide plus sear cooking method above, delivers precisely what she wants. Best Burger I Have Ever Eaten, every time.

OBTW we're currently using (this) immersion circulator and (an EVC-12) water tub. We were lucky and found the circulator on sale for $59.

OAOMT very often we pre-form and pre-season the 8oz patties, then freeze them and vacuum seal in FoodSaver bags. Great for those happy occasions when you find 3 pounds of "American Wagyu" 75-25 ground beef for $13.99 at Costco. Partition the burgers out, seal them up, throw them in the garage freezer, and enjoy any time in the next 12 months. Naturally you can plop them in the sous-vide water bath straight from the freezer and merely increase the water cooktime by another hour. Simple.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
What temperature?

I've always read that pre-ground burgers need to be throughly cooked because the entire burger has come into contact with air.

When I cook burgers medium rare I grind my own. Get some rib eyes from Costco and grind them... add some spices... best burgers.... 135F for two hours, finished on a hot pan. Then put them on a bed of rice, add an egg and brown gravy....

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Perhaps you are thinking of the American food called "Meat Loaf" which is a mixture of ground beef, ground pork, and ground veal. The proportions vary widely and no two recipes agree. It's one of those grandmother heirloom recipes where everyone's grandma did it differently.

(This is an excellent cookbook) about meat loaf, and (this is the recipe I use myself, at home) when I cook meat loaf; as you can see, it's 27% ground pork sausage, 73% ground beef, and 0% ground veal.

Another possibility might be the American-Italian food called "Meatballs" which again are a mixture of ground beef, ground pork, and ground veal.

I would estimate that 95% of all restaurant burgers sold, are 100% ground beef. And I would estimate that 98% of all burgers made at home, are 100% ground beef. These are my own guesses with no statistical data to back them up. Guesses.

It was a book intended for young English ladies about to get married and start living away from a joint family, so they would be in charge of managing the home, including the kitchen.
Apart from this combination, hanging of slaughtered beef (up to 14 days, common in England), and the unusual advice of never scouring a frying pan..those I remember.
Frying pans had to be 'burned in' with fat, and then never washed clean, only water was to be used.
Peculiar.

I've always read that pre-ground burgers need to be throughly cooked because the entire burger has come into contact with air.
Again it comes down to increasing the time to account for a lower heat. Sous vide is an excellent means of having a red juicy burger without the worry. And yes you have to worry about burger for the very reason you mentioned.
Perhaps you are thinking of the American food called "Meat Loaf" which is a mixture of ground beef, ground pork, and ground veal.
And sometimes it has none of those. It is a very general term. I have had very good version of venison and an equally good lamb. Fats of domestic animals like pork are often added to deal with the lean meats but I didn't cook either of them so...
Apart from this combination, hanging of beef ( up to 14 days, common in England),
Or 21 or 28 depending on a number of factors. It's required to break down the meat and make it tender. That is for commercial butchering and is often wet aging. There is also dry aging.
and the unusual advice of never scouring a frying pan..
Once the pan has been seasoned ( a number of ways exist), scrubbing off that layer removes the coating that acts a little like a non-stick pan. Many will only wipe, no water at all.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member

I would estimate that 95% of all restaurant burgers sold, are 100% ground beef. And I would estimate that 98% of all burgers made at home, are 100% ground beef. These are my own guesses with no statistical data to back them up. Guesses.

Ture, but sometimes I will a touch of mild italian sausage with a bit of sauce.... or I might make a Japanese style ground steak (hambagu) with beef and a bit of Aji No Moto (yay!) for umami (*) and a touch of yaki soba ( or tonkatsu ) sauce.

The sky is the limit.

At her stores, my grandmother used to put garlic and parsley into the hamburgers. The customers loved it.

(*) ROTFLOL

Joined 2010
Paid Member
As promised.... Yaki Niku chez moi. We forgot the kim chi...

BTW, the tempura was cooked first so it cooled off by the time we brought it to the table, so we "reheated" it by grilling just a little bit.

We ate outdoors... great Sunday dinner.

Attachments

• 57976.jpeg
    57976.jpeg
    259.3 KB · Views: 40
and the unusual advice of never scouring a frying pan..those I remember.
Frying pans had to be 'burned in' with fat, and then never washed clean, only water was to be used.
Peculiar.
Not unusual or pecular for cast iron cookware to be seasoned with fat/oil, actually quite sensible. What would happen if you removed the cooked fat/oil layer? Clue, it's something to do with rust..

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yes it looks very good Tony. I see the 'Vietnamese' burner unit with the 'Korean' grill on it. Didn't know those were available to the public. Must go looking for one.
Cheers.

Huh? They're Japanese.

北海道の森の中で日本のエルフが作った日本製
Hokkaidō no mori no naka de Nihon no Erufu ga tsukutta nipponsei

We do have standards chez moi! My wife will overpay for stuff Hechas En Japon.

I go along because she doesn't complain on the money going into all of those amplifiers ( Two Iron Pres should be done by Christmas... ).

Last edited:
I read a cook book (English?) which said hamburger meat is 75-25 beef and pork.
Was it correct at all?

Or was it like a Piccadilly Western, a novel about the Wild West written by a person who never set foot in America?
Maybe a Pimlico Western?
Which cook book?. Please cite.

Westerns, what's that got to do with food (Cal)?. If it's one thing, you certainly have a well researched knowledge about all things fictional about the English. I wonder if John Wayne was a Michelin rated chief?