The food thread

Joined 2010
Paid Member
@Cal Weldon

Living in SoCal... Orange County, has its benefits. Food of most ethnicities is plentiful. My daughter did the shopping, I provided the sake.

For mother's day I just grilled the salmon cheeks, the sashimi was prepared by my daughter and wife... I just sharpen all the knives at home.

Yeah, I screwed up the wagyu but it still came out great. I'd say it tasted like very good "fried" meat. Next time I'll let it come to room temp, add some salt and maybe we'll eat it outdoors on a table grill.

Yep, we do eat well.... I'll PM you the pictures and details of the lomos as they age... the "red" ones were rubbed with spanish smoked paprika and smoked over apple chips for 6 hours.

Attachments

• 20230602_113801.jpg
    20230602_113801.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 38
Normally I get the uncooked shrimp from Costco.
I won the lottery and I also make 10 million a year but can't afford to shop at Costco. Especially their seafood.
I added the shrimp, frozen, just before I put the macaroni tray in the oven.
You are my brethren.
I had to throw some bread away last night.
You don't have a plant mister? aka spritzer? 10 minutes in a bag and voila! If it's too far gone they call it crouton starter. If it went moldy then you have another kind of starter. Threw it away? Sacre bleu!

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I won the lottery and I also make 10 million a year but can't afford to shop at Costco. Especially their seafood.

You are my brethren.

You don't have a plant mister? aka spritzer? 10 minutes in a bag and voila! If it's too far gone they call it crouton starter. If it went moldy then you have another kind of starter. Threw it away? Sacre bleu!

It was some "pan con tomate"... in essence french bread rubbed with garlic and tomato and sprinkled with salt and olive oil.

We had a "tapas" charcuterie dinner on Monday and we had left over bread. It's very tempting to have it around as a snack and we forgot to put it in the fridge -where it will last over a week without getting stale.

The prices are Costco have skyrocketed. I used to buy the Canadian salmon steaks, the ones wrapped individually in vacuum bags- for $16 bucks, that was like four years ago. Last year it was $27... this time around it was $35.

One thing about Costco prices... they are not sticky. I've noticed that they go down as well as up. The manager acknowledged that I was not seeing things. For example, their white eggs 48 pack was up to $7 bucks two months ago but now it's back down to a more normal $4. The vacuum bag of rotissery chicken white meat was $11 last year, then it peaked at $19 two months ago, two weeks ago it was "down" to $17. The half and half went from $5 last year to $8 and now it's back to $7. The heavy cream is still at $12 but at least they got a steady supply.

Even so, I only buy stuff on sale. I am not "cheap", I'm just a "value" shopper.. that's why I got the fridge and freezer in the garage. ;-)

I give them away to friends and family, drop the rest at the food bank distribution place, and of course use some for fall and spring …….doesn’t cost me anything but some dollar store envelopes.
You want some? It’s Ethiopian kale (Abysinnian mustard) very mild mustard/collard green flavor……also makes a great raw salad. I can mail some in a letter for anyone who wants to try (its easy to grow) just PM your mailing address.

Sweet and spicy mango pickles...

The unripe mangoes were washed, chopped, dried, coated with spices and jaggery, and left to dry for a couple of days, then coated with boiled and cooled corn oil.
There were two varieties of mango, so the left and center jar have two slightly different pickles.
The right side jar is a sweet preserve of shredded raw mangoes.

The pictures are not in sequence, sorry about that.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• 20230611_175543.jpg
    20230611_175543.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230613_071523.jpg
    20230613_071523.jpg
    517.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230614_073054.jpg
    20230614_073054.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230614_214351.jpg
    20230614_214351.jpg
    527 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230616_134141.jpg
    20230616_134141.jpg
    490.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Seeking meatball recipe advice. Application is spaghetti and meatballs with tomato sauce.

1. Ricotta cheese in the meatballs, yes or no?

2. Cubed bread in your meatball panade? Or dried breadcrumbs?

Seeking input especially from inhabitants of the land of Amerigo Vespucci (Italy) or the land of Tony Soprano (New Jersey). Thank you!

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Half ground beef, half ground pork is common around here.
Regrettably, around here, ground beef is 80% lean + 20% fat, but ground pork is 92% lean + 8% fat. So meatball cooks are forced to employ --- ugh --- algebra to calculate how much extra fat to add in order to achieve an 80-20 blend for the entire mix. You can imagine how terrible everyone feels about this ugly development.

I don’t add cheese to my balls. I don’t use a panade. I don’t use egg. What I do is to add my seasoning to liquid for at least an hour before mixing with the meat. This works best if you grind your own. Store bought ground is a bit too moist to begin with and you don’t control the coarseness. I like to use a combo of fine and medium grinds.

Last edited: