The food thread

hmm, what we get here as Cilantro is very similar to Corriander, but more delicate (physically thinner, smaller, softer), with smaller, rounder leaves. flavor and aroma also is slightly less pungent. it might just be a matter of breeding, but ive seen both from the same supplier, but slightly different.

Last edited:
here Cilantro is more associated with European cuisine, Corriander with Asian/Modern Australian (which is somewhat similar to Californian, but with less French). Corriander is basically the new parsley here, people are mad for it and use it where it is IMO, not appropriate. I feel it really needs to go with big bold, fresh flavors.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
I used to love the fact they were basically a discard item and that you could get a boatload for a few dollars. Always has been my favourite chicken meat.

Not my thing. A lot of effort to eat so little, greasy hands plus I'm no fan of chicken skin. Way cheaper than breast over here, or so I think - I don't do much shopping.

qusp - Comparing Jamon Serrano to Italian prosciutto is an offense. A major offense but I'm no radical. Serrano was illegal in USA and that's when I first tasted prosciutto. It sucks.

EDIT: This was posted before I saw the above additions.

cilantro here either, lots of coriander though, very similar
Interesting. Around here Cilantro is the leaf and Coriander is the seed.
I cant stand hard eggs, stinky things, poached soft FTW!
Hard eggs are a waste, aren't they?
eggs benny <snip> by someone who cares nothing for the food they produce;
Too often the case. It's a job, not a love like the people in this thread.

here Cilantro is more associated with European cuisine, Corriander with Asian/Modern Australian

Interesting again. Here the leaf aka Cilantro is the asian parsley and used as such. Coriander, the seed, is used in curries, pickling, soup stocks,that sort of thing.

'white man curry powder'

Coriander
Cumin
Turmeric
Chilies
Salt

And yes, I am well aware that Curry has nothing to do with the flavour. My Goan friend set me straight on that one. :)

Not my thing. A lot of effort to eat so little, greasy hands plus I'm no fan of chicken skin. Way cheaper than breast over here, or so I think - I don't do much shopping.

qusp - Comparing Jamon Serrano to Italian prosciutto is an offense. A major offense but I'm no radical. Serrano was illegal in USA and that's when I first tasted prosciutto. It sucks.

haha, sounds like you got the neutered version, I agree it sucks, it lacks the deep sweetness of Jamon AND good quality and until recently illegal prosciutto. it doesnt all suck, but no doubt, no matter how similar it wont be the same for a native; I get that, but i'm culturally neutral in this case, my allegiance is to the food!.

I have Jamon in the fridge, but I will use Parma ham or prosciutto of good quality if I cant get Jamon. I got some great Parma a few weeks ago with lovely deep salty sweetness and small salt crystals forming inside, superb i'm sorry. perhaps I need to DBT? :D

Cassiel said:
I'm no fan of chicken skin..
:eek:

WTH! you ARE human right? ;) I use crispy chicken skin as a garnish on soup. I thought everyone loved chicken skin:confused:

EDIT: This was posted before I saw the above additions.

Interesting. Around here Cilantro is the leaf and Coriander is the seed.

its quite possible this is just a set of circumstances that meant Corriander became the more common known name and farming resulted in the strains I know as Corriander, being selected with larger, pointier leaves, longer, somewhat more parsley like stems and more pungency vs Cilantro. i'll have to look into it, Cilantro is a pretty rare sight, but the herbs section at Coles has it from memory.

Hard eggs are a waste, aren't they?
more than a waste, its a sin! if I get distracted and my eggs get overdone, they either go in the bin after much swearing, or cooked to fully hard, passed through a sieve and used in a dressing. the waiter hears about it pretty quickly if my eggs are overdone.

Too often the case. It's a job, not a love like the people in this thread.
yep, fortunately its not all purveying and some chefs/cooks/suppliers still love food and strive to bring good food to the world, or just their street as the case may be. at the same time, some people eat only because they are hungry and/or to survive.

Interesting again. Here the leaf aka Cilantro is the asian parsley and used as such. Coriander, the seed, is used in curries, pickling, soup stocks,that sort of thing.

'white man curry powder'

Coriander
Cumin
Turmeric
Chilies
Salt

here its used for all,

Corriander (the whole plant)
Corriander Seed = Corriander seed (toasted before use to release the oils, then used just as you do, for pickles, pastes, dry rubs etc.
Corriander root = Corriander root (washed and pounded for use in Curry pastes, marinades, soup bases etc)

And yes, I am well aware that Curry has nothing to do with the flavour. My Goan friend set me straight on that one. :)
I have a small 'curry leaf' tree, love the stuff. drop a handful of fresh leaves, dried chili and some black mustard seeds into hot oil and serve on flatbread cooked with some of the oil and season with seasalt for scooping up 'curry'

Yes, western culture associates curry with the powder you buy, when curry is actually a type of cooking. Most often curry is the equivalent of stew as it's served as a sauce dish and usually put over rice. If it's dry it's called a dry curry and that's when you're likely to see the white man curry powder used. I think that powder dates back to the days of British rule in India.

My Goan friend refers to Coriander and Coriander leaf, not Cilantro and she's been cooking with it longer than me, so she wins. :)

The curry leaf tree seems to need a warmer climate than we have here so I guess that's out for us.

I've not heard about using the Coriander root but I will this year as we can grow it here rather easily. Thanks for the tip.

My Goan friend refers to Coriander and Coriander leaf, not Cilantro and she's been cooking with it longer than me, so she wins. :)

Maybe because they don't speak Spanish in India? Though I am surprised since Goa is highly Portugese influenced. I'm sure a botanist could sort this out but there are probably many sub-species with slight differences.

The word traces back to ancient Greece, we are generally talking about the same thing.

Yes, western culture associates curry with the powder you buy, when curry is actually a type of cooking. Most often curry is the equivalent of stew as it's served as a sauce dish and usually put over rice. If it's dry it's called a dry curry and that's when you're likely to see the white man curry powder used. I think that powder dates back to the days of British rule in India.

yep, that 'curry powder' is usually quite horrid and insipid stuff, that adds more colour than flavor. lots of Turmeric to make it yellow (god knows it doesnt have a lot of flavor, even when fresh) to give the fake Saffron appearance.

Yes Curry is a type of dish, we use the word here to describe dishes from India, Pakistan, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Nepal

it took ages for me to ever actually see Cilantro in the 'flesh'.

I had mainly only seen it used on cooking shows from the USA and assumed at the time it was just a wanky European name for Coriander, but its use in modern American cuisine seemed quite different to me to how we and the rest of Asia use it and when I saw it here and tasted it to find it was more delicate, it made a little more sense. I still dont like it in anything that isnt spicy, or bold/fresh, otherwise I do find its strangely dominant, bringing out notes of Lavender, soap.

The curry leaf tree seems to need a warmer climate than we have here so I guess that's out for us.

yes it does, its an interesting one, not overly strong and possibly not as versatile as Bay Leaf (which I also have growing) which can be used quite successfully in fruit poaching liquids and light syrups. but I do enjoy its distinctive taste

I've not heard about using the Coriander root but I will this year as we can grow it here rather easily. Thanks for the tip.

man, you dont know what you are missing! the root has superb flavor, somewhat deeper and erm.. more earthy I guess for lack of a better term.

For me its at least as useful and rewarding as the leaf and I will always save it in the freezer even if i'm not using it right then. Its good whole (after cleaning) as part of an Asian bouquet garni, for Laksa, fish broth/poaching liquid/stock as well.
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...=8khZJ3eAV1luHphTPUADig&bvm=bv.46471029,d.aGc

it took ages for me to ever actually see Cilantro in the 'flesh'.

I had mainly only seen it used on cooking shows from the USA and assumed at the time it was just a wanky European name for Coriander, but its use in modern American cuisine seemed quite different to me to how we and the rest of Asia use it and when I saw it here and tasted it to find it was more delicate, it made a little more sense[/URL]

It's heavily used in Morrocan cuisine, which might explain the Spain to Mexico connection. What I had in China was essentially exactly what we have here but it was not used that often in Beijing or Shanghai. I was intrduced to it via our Cantonese based Chinatown in the 60's and then a couple of non-TexMex Mexican restaurants that put mass quantities in their salsa. I remember a new employee from California in 1975 that told me I was an idiot for thinking mole and seviche were real Mexican food.

its pretty well traveled isnt it?! i'd guess its providence is Asia though. thats true, Morrocan cuisine does use it quite a bit. with orange juice and ginger with couscous and a little preserved lemon it makes a good vege or chicken Tagine. its most strongly tied to Thai here, at least in my memory, but now its everywhere, no houesewife is without her tube of minced green Coriander poop.

its pretty well traveled isnt it?! i'd guess its providence is Asia though. thats true, Morrocan cuisine does use it quite a bit. with orange juice and ginger with couscous and a little preserved lemon it makes a good vege or chicken Tagine. its most strongly tied to Thai here, at least in my memory.

I'm watching "Bizzare Foods" in Baja right now. Andrew is chowing down on blood, brain, and tongue tacos, with plenty of cilantro. :) Looks like what we use here. On to the squid stuffed with bull's balls...

Does this show make it down under? We have one or two Aussie food shows that gets shown here rarely in some cities.

EDIT - Of course Graham Kerr was a regular here for years...just spotted the 32 oz. bottle of Heinz in one of those out of the way authentic local restaurants.

Last edited: