The food thread

All done:

Duck gizzards in pastry shells

Lotus root with bean curd and cuke salad

Fried Chinese Yam

Chicken feet on grated potato fry and a slice of green radish.

Roasted dinosaur bones

Now > off to the old place to listen to high volume tunes and get a real appreciation for the diy side of things. I hear there's a beer keg there. Will let y'all how it turns out.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_3628.jpg
    IMG_3628.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_3630.jpg
    IMG_3630.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_3632.jpg
    IMG_3632.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_3635.jpg
    IMG_3635.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_3638.jpg
    IMG_3638.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 162
Cover the bottom of a deep casserole dish with onion rings and scatter in some chopped garlic. Cover to a depth of 2 inches or so with scallops, inch cubes of monkfish and black pudding in about equal quantities. Season with salt and pepper. Cover all with sliced boiled potato. Throw in a large glass of vermouth and fill with single cream till it shows through the potatoes. Daub with blobs of butter and bake in the top half of an oven preheated to 180C until the potatoes show brown, but not so long that the fish gets tough.

Serve with your choice of veg, probably including tomato for a bit of acidity.

w

I dunno if you guys can get black pudding, it's a sausage about 2 in. dia. made with pigs blood and pork fat, doesn't sound too hot but it just works in this application... sorry... recipe.

Cover the bottom of a deep casserole dish with onion rings and scatter in some chopped garlic. Cover to a depth of 2 inches or so with scallops, inch cubes of monkfish and black pudding in about equal quantities. Season with salt and pepper. Cover all with sliced boiled potato. Throw in a large glass of vermouth and fill with single cream till it shows through the potatoes. Daub with blobs of butter and bake in the top half of an oven preheated to 180C until the potatoes show brown, but not so long that the fish gets tough.

Serve with your choice of veg, probably including tomato for a bit of acidity.

w

I dunno if you guys can get black pudding, it's a sausage about 2 in. dia. made with pigs blood and pork fat, doesn't sound too hot but it just works in this application... sorry... recipe.

We called it Blutwurst, I find it hard to believe scallops just right and browned potatos are compatible. I usually do scallops for about 2min on a side.

EDIT - the pre-boiling probably does it, didn't notice that.

Last weekend was a 'men's shed night' at my place. We made a smoker and smoked 3 very large chickens and some snags (sausages in Australian) BBQd them and enjoyed em immensely.
The smoker was made from a new galvanised rubbish bin 50L I think with a length of old 6" flue attached to the lid. A piece of 3" storm pipe directed smoke from a pressure cooker to the bottom of the bin. The pressure cooker was $8 at a secondhand shop. We cut a 3" hole in the side and a 3" hole in the side of the bin too. The idea is that the smoke created when heat is applied to the bottom of the saucepan/Pcooker doesnt get to the main smoking cabinet. This means that you can smoke as little or as much as you want without danger of over/undercooking the meat. Steel rods 3/16" were shoved through the chooks and inserted into holes near the top of the bin then a litre of sawdust (created by running a piece of sheoak through the thicknesser) was put into the cooker and the lid screwed on that was stood on a Primus gas stove and heated till copious amounts of smoke ran up the drainpipe into the bin and out the chimney.
It only took an hour to make the smoker and another hour to smoke the chooks. Then they were jointed and BBQd. Yum Yum
Ive wanted to smoke chicken for a long while and it is definitely worth the effort.
Ill take some pics and post them if anyone wants to try it.
The chooks were salted in a brine for 4 hours (1 cup salt, 1 cup sugar to 4 L water) before smoking.