The food thread

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Gimp,

The same is true for jams/jellies (high sugar content). Again a matter of semantics. Hot packing should be called "hot packing" since it is completely different than canning. The broad application of the term "canning" to both (and other?) preservation methods carries the danger of people assuming all options are appropriate in all circumstances.

I preserve cured, home grown herbs, pipe tobacco and various other things in Mason jars with no application of heat whatsoever. Shall I call this "canning" as well?

The English language (all versions of it from what I can tell) can be incredibly imprecise. I don't know a whole lot of German, but I would bet there is no doubt about the difference between "hot packing" some jam and canning some fish/meat in German.

Last edited:
I guess it is a matter of local attitudes. Here in the south anything that is preserved in a mason jar for storage greater than a week or two using heat is considered "canning".

Pressure cookers here in the US come with a FDA approved list of heat/pressure/time for various foods, including hot water bath canning tables for foods which it is applicable to.

Darwin gets those who don't heed the suggestion.

Today;

Breakfast, Fresh squeezed orange juice, three egg turkey omelet with mild cheddar cheese and pepperoncinis. Really good.

Lunch, Smoked turkey leg, small salad and a glass of coca-cola.

Dinner, Turkey corn soup thickened with barley, made in a Crock Pot! Turkey sandwich with lettuce, tomato, a bit of fresh spinach leaves and of course a touch of mustard on a bun made from sweet potato bread dough, side of buttered peas and mineral water.

Last edited:
Mmmm. Elk. Last time I had any was 1987.

My dad shot one in 1954 in Wyoming while he was stationed in Colorado Springs. He used a sporterized 03-A3 chambered in Winchester .243 with a Herters 105gr spitzer softpoint. Distance was less than 100 yards. The advantage of the Winchester .243 over the 6mm Remington was twist rate. The .234 could stabilize the 105gr bullet while the Remington could not. I have the rifle and some of the remaining 105gr bullets. Haven't shot it since my dad passed away ten years ago.

Here's my Blue and Cran berry breakfast bread. A slice (or two) of this with a fried egg is breakfast at my house. Made it with the GM flour yesterday.

Attachments

• DSC02624.JPG
    DSC02624.JPG
    837.8 KB · Views: 72
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Gimp,

Elk sure is a favourite with most people around here!

My daughter won a draw for another elk up north in Jan/Feb. I'm really looking forward to the trip, whether we come home with hundreds of pounds of meat or not. She'll be using her .270 Win with 150gr Speer Grand Slams, hand-loaded fairly "warm" by her dad. I've also got a nice new Bushnell Elite 3500 as a scope upgrade for her - hoping the RainguardHD coating will mitigate against her habit of fogging her scope with her breath at that critical moment. I'll need to mount that up and sight it in some time this month.

Scott, around here Aldi sells the Butterball (oil injected) turkeys for $.89 per pound. The local chain Giant Eagle offers Honeysuckle White (brined) at the same price. Local turkeys go for $.69-.79 per pound. Most chains around here ordered smaller birds expecting fewer large family meals.

They are sold as leaders to get folks in to the stores. After Thanksgiving the leftovers have their prices go back up. Turns out most of the leftovers are the larger birds.

Of course if you have a member tracking card, the bird can be free if you bought enough!

Now that it has been a week, today's breakfast was hot tea with cinnamon toast. Lunch/dinner, pooged pizza. The GE house brand pizza has a great crust and toppings thin enough to see through. So I put on sauce, pepperoni, cheeses and then top with pepperoncinis. Results are quite tasty and very easy. I do rate the crust above the Boboli and others.

Last edited: