The food thread

Boxed mac with powdered agent orange. You guys are kidding right?

You can powder your own cheddar, there are non-Kraft brands with real cheese. Most of the bagged pre-shredded cheese is real by legal definition only. Ironically many from scratch recipes use the trick of starting with the Kraft yellow cheese matter because it contains the magic ingredient to get the rest of the cheese you add to melt properly.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Pasta carbonara is the closest I get regularly to mac'n'cheese, and I've taken to whisking powdered milk in with the eggs. This abomination adds a lovely bit of mouthfeel and texture as it tends to keep the eggs from clumping as you stir them in to the bechamel.

Have yet to try sodium citrate to cream up the Parmesan, but I'm all about modern horrors in the kitchen. Edible science! :D

This guy reviews military MREs from all manner of locales and time frames. His channel is oddly addictive - "let's get this out onto a tray"...

YouTube

I liked the C rations from the early 70s when I was in the NAVY. I was on Flight Crew and most flights had to take my own food. I would drop by the PX and pick up C rations as they were easy to deal with.

My son likes modern C rations. We bought two cases last year and have only finished a quarter of them.

Attachments

• 20200413_134846.jpg
    20200413_134846.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 106
If ' n you want gooey .............

( My Mom ' s Approach )

Use brick cheese cut into strips ~ size of french fries

Boil the pasta

Drain the pasta and immediately put back into ( hot )
pot

Add cheese and stir .....

The size of the cheese pieces and pasta temperature
will cause it to melt into softened strips without
permeating everything .

( Also works well with rice dishes ( My Mom called
it Spanish Rice ( Grandma called it Goulash ) )

Joined 2014
Paid Member
hitsware -

My Mac n' cheese ain't comin' out of no steeeeeenking box.

Ingredients:

cooked pasta
1/2 doz eggs
2 cans condensed milk
grated gouda and sharp cheddar
finely minced garlic
finely minced onion
finely minced seranno chili
finely minced red bell pepper
red pepper
paprika
baby spinach leaves

The spices and minced whatever go into the eggs/condensed milk mix. This gets folded in with the cooked pasta. Cheese is grated on top and folded in. Finally, I push in as many trimmed spinach leaves as I think the traffic will bear.

Oven at 350F until browned on bottom (and a bit on top).

The stuff that comes out of the box may be suitable for pasting posters on walls, not much else...

Over here that would be called a pasta bake!

@Scott: because I don't bother with the onion infused milk I find a white sauce easy to knock up. Oh and I cheat with the stick blender to speed things up and remove lumps.

To all: at what stage did edible cheese become widely available in the states? I had huge trouble finding something that wasn't either suitable for suspension components or the same colour as animals use for a warning not to eat them. I even drove through wisconsin and didn't see a cheese shop. This was 25 years ago mind.

To all: at what stage did edible cheese become widely available in the states? I had huge trouble finding something that wasn't either suitable for suspension components or the same colour as animals use for a warning not to eat them. I even drove through wisconsin and didn't see a cheese shop. This was 25 years ago mind.

More than 40yr. ago it was known as importing. Back then there was not much more than a passable Asiago made in Fond du lac WI and someone here made traditional Limburger (grandma wouldn't touch it). The foodie movement made the number of tiny farmhouse cheeses here explode but I don't know the history. Now you can find washed rind cheese as stinky as any. I do find Humbolt Fog was around in the 70's which makes sense since Alice Waters and Chez Panisse were getting going. Right now there is a central place offering proper cave aging/marketing for small producers in Vermont lots of good stuff, Cheese — Jasper Hill Farm

You must have missed these guys Mars Cheese Castle - On-Line Store - Cheeses. Back in the day they at least had some passable cheddar now they even have 13+yr. old stuff in the shop only, and of course they are our cheese curd source. :)

Cabot in Vermont makes some very aged cloth bound cheddar and (I swear they pay shills) would tell you that is all you need.

Last edited:
someone here made traditional Limburger (grandma wouldn't touch it). The foodie movement made the number of tiny farmhouse cheeses here explode but I don't know the history. Now you can find washed rind cheese as stinky as any.

Limburger features in the Our Gang comedy (I think) "Bear Shooters" in which Chubby applies limburger to Wheezer (instead of goose grease.)

YouTube

They'll never make a short comedy like that again.

One of my high school friends bombed the school in selected locations with Limburger a few days before graduation. With the hot Florida weather, there was quite a pong...

I've daydreamed about popping the hood on an enemy's car and rubbing Limburger on the exhaust manifold, but I don't hate anybody quite enough to go to that level of trouble.

On a more palatable note, I added some cumin seed to the mac recipe last night. I think I'll do it again next time around, though not quite as much as I threw in last night. Cumin seed is one of my favorites for Indian dishes.

Last edited:
Limburger features in the Our Gang comedy (I think) "Bear Shooters" in which Chubby applies limburger to Wheezer (instead of goose grease.)

Correct, I missed many opportunities as a child I guess, a washed rind goat cheese, stunning. After a little further reading they have been making "brick" which is a classic German farmhouse cheese since the 1800's I also never came across this until 25yr. ago in upstate NY at a small German influenced farm.

In the US, it was first produced in 1867 by Rudolph Benkerts in his cellar from pasteurized goat's milk. A few years later, 25 factories produced this cheese. The Chalet Cheese Cooperative in Monroe, Wisconsin is the only American company that makes this cheese. It is also manufactured in Canada, where it is a German-Canadian cultural marker, by the Oak Grove Cheese Company in New Hamburg, Ontario.

This sandwich remains very popular among the descendants of Swiss and German immigrants in the Midwestern United States, in places like Wisconsin and Ohio. However, it is markedly less popular among the descendants born after about 1960, mainly because of the permeating smell and the inconvenience of going to specialty cheese and sausage shops to obtain it.

Last edited: