Joined 2005
my new knive creations
still needs final polishing
but work very well as is

Attachments

• IMG_7354.JPG
    IMG_7354.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 93
steel is from any kind of scrapped woodsaw.
That's usually some pretty good steel.
to the question of 'sharpening'
wet sandpaper work nicely ;)
C'mon man. Go get yourself a 3 stage diamond wheel electric unit. A little pricey but once you use it, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
btw, I got a bit tired of big knives
and now always try to use smallest knife possible for the job
Interesting. I have always been a fan of larger knifes. I have only one so called paring knife, 'cause you can't de-stem a tomato with a cleaver. :D

Me too but I am now hooked. Nothing, I mean nothing gives you an edge like it. I fancy myself a fine honer but I can't compete. I would think that you as a man who has built his own knife might really appreciate what it can do. I paid 200 CAD here in Canada but it was worth every penny my friend. After using every other type of sharpener known to man, I finally broke down on the advice of a friend and I am so glad I did. This is the one got:

Chef's Choice 120 Diamond Hone 3-Stage Professional Knife Sharpener,Chrome: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining

It gives you a complex bevel, something you can't really do by hand.

honba zuke

I am glad you brought that up. I can see the potential in theory but I am yet to realize the value either in lateral or tapered slicing. I assumed that was done for the rookies, those not well versed in using knives, not for the old dogs.

Mind you I am much less knowledgable than you Jacco so I will stop talking and listen now. :)

Cheers.

The last couple of days I was in south-west Nova Scotia, and on the way home had to pass by the town of Digby. Digby is famous for one thing: deep sea scallops, the sweetest you have ever tasted. So I had to pop into the town, down to the wharf where the scallop fleet ties up, and bought a couple pounds of super-fresh scallops, landed this morning. Packed them in an ice-filled cooler for the drive home, then stopped for some fresh Annapolis Valley corn on the way (from my fave farm market at Greenwich, NS). Got home and fast-sauteed the "petoncles" in olive oil, and served them with steamed corn on the cob and a fresh home-grown tomato. August heaven!