The food thread

Autocorrect. He often send messages to the late Stephen Jay Gould of Harvard, who wrote so many popular books on biology. Amazon Link. And so his computer / phone / tablet simply autocorrected to the commonly used word Gould.

LOL! No it was Glenn Gould, he did wonders with Baby Bach Ribs. Or maybe I meant Eliot Gould from Catch 22 Ribs.

But no, fat fingers and an aggressive iPhone turned good to Gould.

The irony being most of the ox tail these days is really generic cow tail.
I have not ever had ox tail, as far as I know, it's always been beef. I thought Ox was just a rumour like 'hot dogs'.
to the extent that they have become fashionable especially pork belly.
I know. Still a dish I will avoid until I cure it and turn it into bacon.
LOL! No it was Glenn Gould, he did wonders with Baby Bach Ribs.
You owe me a keyboard cleaning nezzy.

Top foods to avoid for gout are turkey, bacon, mackerel and beer. Best food to eat to reduce the issue are cherries.

For some reason in the U.S. doctors see more gout right after Thanksgiving.

Of course there are medications that will treat it. Normal first sign is in one's painful and swollen big toe.

It is one of those ailments where you do want to go to the doctor! Little possible downside and fairly fast relief.

I found a really nice way to deal with pork belly.

Get a piece a bit larger than your roasting dish and quickly roast it 20 minutes or so at a high heat until it shrinks a bit. Hope fully it now fits the roasting dish perfectly.

Fill the dish with a mixture of sliced apples, onions, sage and cider put the belly skin side up on top and slow roast until tender.

Is that an oxymoron? :)

I have had what I believe was real oxtail, and just tonight saw "ox tail" in the store that was very meaty and >4" across. How big would real oxtail be? I suppose it depends which end of the tail.

Hard to tell, the stuff in some of our Asian markets is never more than 3 or so inches at times. I was going on something one of the foodie pundits posted, I do remember my grandmother cooking some that were easily 6" across. This is probably one of those things that much is made about over little.

Pork sandwiches tonight, barbecued and smoked the loin that had been marinated in a bunch of garlic and other stuff, sliced it thin and added some roasted/blackened red bell peppers (w/balsamic vinegar and salt), and put it on toasted ciabatta. Was going to add some provolone but I think it’s ok without it.

Tastes extra good after a 13 hour work day.

Ed, do you have any personal experience with gout?

Yes, very occasional flare ups now that I know how to avoid it. Pills fix it in under a day but the practice is three days to be sure no damage lasts. Other effect is small white bumps on my nose that actually contain small yellow crystals of uric acid.

If I feel like something is begining to happen I just eat some cherries.

I use the old fashioned treatment pills that are made from orchid flowers. The Egyptians apparently used them as a treatment millennia ago. There are newer and stronger pills now available.