The food thread

The only solution is to go back to local personal sourcing.
Sure, IF you can get it, BUT you are still relying on TRUST exactly like the mothers who fed their children infant formula containing Melamine FFS.
The fact is all of us rely on processed/prepackaged foods to some extent and we are at mercy/victims of dishonest practices by food suppliers.
This truth platform is all about halting dishonest practices, enforcing consequences to transgressors and ensuring food security.
Sure this is not going to be universal by next week but it will happen and China is driving this and from the very highest level.
There are huge business opportunities for pioneers of defining the rules for every food industry and other industries, this platform is all about 'sticking it to the man' and giving power back to the consumer the likes of you and me.
Whoever wants to be pioneers of locking down the rules of industries in your country, if so you all have my contact.

Testing like DNA testing for mislabeled fish costs lots of money, no one is going to pay the difference. The only solution is to go back to local personal sourcing.

They regularly DNA test Basmati rice here to make sure it is the right strain and comes only from the officially accredited area in India or Pakistan but they don't test every sack.

There are huge business opportunities for pioneers of defining the rules for every food industry and other industries, this platform is all about 'sticking it to the man' and giving power back to the consumer the likes of you and me.

I don't know where you are getting this impression, their site talks about protecting brands from fakes etc. not the consumer.

If the consumer wants protection they have to be willing to bear the cost. I would be wonderful if someone bankrolled, for instance, a service to provide DNA testing of fish inviting diners to submit samples from their meals to keep a registry of restaurants that repeatably substitute farmed tilapia for the far more expensive red snapper. The problem is it's the restaurants that want to cheat, it's easy to be trained to identify whole live caught fish but the frozen at sea portion controlled product is all they want to deal with.

EDIT - To tell the truth I don't see how anyone would establish a business plan where the food industry pays the tab to protect the consumer.

Last edited:
When I go to any major supermarket around here they all sell Cosman & Whidden honey (Cosman and Whidden Honey - Pure Nova Scotia Honey). I know where it is made, I know where their hives are placed, and I know what is in the honey.
Snip: In May, most of our beehives pollinate the orchards of apples, pears, plums, and cherries in the Annapolis Valley.
Riiiiight, so you are eating honey from crops that get nuked regularly with pesticides/fungicides, thanks but no thanks, I prefer to know that my honey comes from pristine national park forests far away from agriculture and with a digital assay certificate to confirm that it is most definitely what the label says it is.
There are smaller local producers as well which I can visit (like "The Buzz" at Wood n Hive Honey - Pure Nova Scotia Honey - Alex Crouse on Starr's Point .
Both web sites are cute, family, feel good etc but there are no proofs of quality whatsoever, just their word.
The last thing I need is RFID to tell me where my honey comes from.
Enforcement of these standards varies by country. In United States there is no inspection or enforcement. Honey may carry the USDA seal, but there are few federal standards for honey, no government certification and no consequences for making false claims. This is directly from the USDA Rules and Regulations, “…honey does not require official inspection in order to carry official USDA grade marks…there are no existing programs that require the official inspection and certification of honey…
Honey is a relatively high value item and is prone to adulteration and blending from unnamed sources and as such cannot be entirely trusted, same with a million other foods we put into our bodies.
If you were to pay top dollar for the best Manuka honey would you insist on authenticated supply chain, I know I would.
Same goes for a million other products.....given authenticated informed choice would you choose slave free coffee or slave free running shoes or clothing for example over 'suspect' brands...again I know I would.
Informed authenticated choice and social media gives us the consumer the power to halt the wrongs of 'dirty business' and bring about change and benefit for our fellow man, I see that as a profoundly great thing.

Dan.

Last edited:
If you were to pay top dollar for the best Manuka honey would you insist on authenticated supply chain, I know I would.
Same goes for a million other products.....given authenticated informed choice would you choose slave free coffee or slave free running shoes or clothing for example over 'suspect' brands...again I know I would.
Informed authenticated choice and social media gives us the consumer the power to halt the wrongs of 'dirty business' and bring about change and benefit for our fellow man, I see that as a profoundly great thing.

Dan.

Dan where do you get the idea that that new business has any interest in any of this?

I don't know where you are getting this impression, their site talks about protecting brands from fakes etc. not the consumer.
Directly from the horses mouth so to speak.
If the consumer wants protection they have to be willing to bear the cost. I would be wonderful if someone bankrolled, for instance, a service to provide DNA testing of fish inviting diners to submit samples from their meals to keep a registry of restaurants that repeatably substitute farmed tilapia for the far more expensive red snapper. The problem is it's the restaurants that want to cheat, it's easy to be trained to identify whole live caught fish but the frozen at sea portion controlled product is all they want to deal with.
Sure, so industry develops an economical DNA testing method and makes it accessible....what are the current costs and delays of such assay testing ?.
Word is China will have a three strikes policy giving chance for 'reform'....break it and you are executed. :eek:.
EDIT - To tell the truth I don't see how anyone would establish a business plan where the food industry pays the tab to protect the consumer.
The consumer pays, business as usual BUT the consumer has choice according to authenticated information.

Ethnic communities?

What do they have to do with it?

It is pretty much always a struggle to get the USA to agree that certain foods come from certain areas ie the normal procedure is that the EU puts a place of origin protection on something and the next thing that happens is that US trade delegates protest it or simply ignore it. Been like that most of my life.

Ethnic communities?

What do they have to do with it?

They import what they want with little actual oversight, we are probably talking about different issues. If you go into a market here aimed at the Indian community the produce is what you would find in a market in India just as if it was loaded onto a freighter and unloaded here. There is no evidence of any obeisance to the general population.

Last edited: