The food thread

Thank you Ed. I am a long ways from getting back into it but what I can do affords me some good therapy.
Lamb bacon? I hope to try it one day, I bet it's delicious. Is there enough fat on the belly? Maybe show us a pic next time.

Cal,

You might actually know something! Plenty of fat, but it behaves nothing like normal U.S. bacon fat. Very tough to get it crisp without burning the meat. I find a two sided electric grill does the best job.

I did try it on a baking sheet in the oven. Using normal time of 12 minutes leaves it all burned. At 8 the fat doesn't melt. So I will stick to a temperature controlled grill.

BTY get well soon, dislocated shoulders really hurt!

Cal,
You might actually know something!
Uh... do I say thanks at this point?
BTY get well soon, dislocated shoulders really hurt!
I am learning on a daily basis.
You shoulda talked with my uncle who had 3 tours of duty in Korea.
By red cabbage, I was meaning the purple stuff. Just sauerkraut style with a little ginger. When I make Cal-chi I use Napa.

Speaking of ginger, today is soda pop day.

1kg ginger root
5 cups Stevia powder
1.5 cups lemon juice
1 Tbsp coarse salt
Remainder of water

The ginger is food processed then brought to heat in water but not boiled. Strained and then another heating water to get the most out, then pressed. Concentrate, and others added to the corny keg (19L) then filled with water and ice to chill before gassing at 60lbs.

Anyone ferment red cabbage? I hear about it but never seen and I would like to try it so I put a batch on. Anything in particular I should do or watch for?
You mean the one that you chop finely, like the white one, and ends up served with lemon oil, better if after letting the lemon and the salt bake it.
The red part is the same of other kind of vegetables having the red colour, which is antocyanate, I recall... Not the same as wine which is resvetrol...you know :)

The vast majority of the worlds population is completely oblivious as to what ginger beer really is. Blame the industrial revolution, combined with creative advertising.
GBP used to a relatively common household "pet". :)

If you make proper ginger beer with actual GBP, you can fine dial the alcohol content between 0.5 to max roughly 5% easily. I think it's best under 1.2%, the kids like it a lot, impossible to get drunk on it. Cough syrup and artificial sweeteners are more dangerous.

Last edited:
The vast majority of the worlds population is completely oblivious as to what ginger beer really is.

Count me in. I had made the assumption that it was nothing more than really strong ginger ale. TBH, I really like what I make and it tastes a lot like the real stuff to boot.

Goes well with homemade bacon. :lickface:

Attachments

• IMG_1566.jpg
    IMG_1566.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1562.jpg
    IMG_1562.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1558.jpg
    IMG_1558.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 91
When I was a kid it was called Ripple, after all the sugar who would know where the buzz came from.

The fave beverage of Grady in "Sanford and Son" -- which was based on the UK sitcom "Steptoe and Son"

couldn't put that on TV today, still regularly on cable.

In the US, all the states had to adopt rules for consumption after Prohibition was repealed. In my native state, OH, they screwed up so you could drink low EtOH beer from birth.

In hindsight, that may not have been so much a screwup.