The food thread

Back in the old USSR days we used to get a lot of Russian/Soviet trawlers and freighters here (a port city). A local guy used to watch for sales at the cheap department stores and stock up on umbrellas, jeans, and briefcases. Then when the ships came in he would trade these things for caviar.

In high school a friend of mine worked at a local men's clothing shop near the docks, I remember him bringing us Russian and Cuban cigarettes. The were awful!

I (vaguely) recall making eggs like that when a kid-it was a sleeve put over the egg before boiling, boiling caused the sleeve to shrink to fit.

pisanki -- you can see some slavic roots -- it was done like cloissone enamel by one of the relatives who used wax threads to prevent parts of the egg from being colored.

there's another Polish tradition, swieconka, carried over here in the States (probably abandoned in Poland) in which a food basket is blessed on Holy Saturday morning. At brunch on Palm Sunday, back when my kids were in high school, mamselle announces: "We have to bring a basket of food to church on Saturday so that dad can get his kielbasa blessed." I thought the oldest boy was going to blow the waffles out of his nose it was so funny.

Hmmm ...

At the Russian Orthodox Church in London, trestle tables were set up outside the Church at Easter (2 weeks ago). People assembled with their baskets of food and special cakes for a "production line" mass blessing by the clergy.

The same in Mother Russia, I am informed, but the Poles are mostly Catholic ...

If you ever come to Portugal you have to taste this :

pasteis nata.jpg

- Pastel de Nata is a Portuguese egg tart pastry

recepie here :

http://www.syrupandtang.com/200811/pasteis-de-nata-portuguese-custard-tarts/

Last edited:
i have to translate the name of this for you :

Cod fish " gomes de sa " way

bacalhau.jpg

recepie :

Ingredients

1 1/2 pounds salt cod
1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 pounds waxy potatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick and cooked until tender
4 hard-boiled eggs
8 black olives
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves

Directions

Soak the cod in cold water to cover for 24 to 36 hours, changing the water occasionally, drain.

Flake the cod into small pieces, removing any bones. Set aside. In a large saute pan, over medium heat, add 1/4 cup of the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions and the garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until lightly golden, about 6 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Grease a medium ovenproof casserole dish with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper.

Spread half of the potatoes over the bottom of the prepared dish. Sprinkle half of the salt cod over the potatoes. Place half of the onion mixture over the salt cod. Top the onion mixture with more salt cod. Place another layer of potatoes over the top of the cod. Drizzle the entire pan with the remaining 1/4 cup of oil. Place in the oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden. Place on a serving platter. Garnish with the sliced eggs, olives, and parsley.

Last edited:
There is a Portuguese bakery near me in Mineola, NY that makes these. I think I'll try that before venturing off on my own.

Thanks for info.

trust me , you will like them , they are better warm with a bit of Cinnamon on top :)

and that codfish recepie is soooo goood , it´s one of the few ways i like to eat fish so it must be good :D

Last edited:
" Ovos Moles " Sauce

I got another easy one but very good :

Sugar and egg yolks alone are used to create this rich sauce called "ovos moles." It can be served by itself as a dessert, over fruit, or as an icing for a sponge cake or torte.

1/3 cup water
1-1/4 cups of sugar
8 egg yolks
In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, dissolve the sugar in the water. Allow to cool. In the meantime, separate the eggs, reserving the whites for another use. With an electric or hand-beater, beat the yolks until they are thick and light yellow. Continuing to beat them, slowly pour in the sugar syrup. Return the egg and sugar mix to the saucepan, and stirring constantly, heat over low heat until thickened enough to coat the spoon.

Do not allow to boil. It will thicken more upon cooling.

Attachments

• ovos.JPG
    ovos.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 67