The food thread

Slugs can be dealt with if you have a raised bed with a surrounding support wall, two thin bare wires and a 9V battery.

You don't even need the battery or the second wire since snails and slugs will not crawl across copper. It reacts with their slime.

Garden centres sell sticky-backed copper tape to keep them out of pots, planters or raised beds.

I had a bountyful crop of roma and san marzano last year unfortunitly half of them developed a end rot blite.
This year im trying some different types, my planters are raised completly off the ground and i use a regular super soil and mushroom composte plus rock dust, finely crushed egg shells in the bottom of the holes and courser shells on top to ward off critters. A seaweed fertalizer and some worm castings around the plant.
Im looking for some large shallow containers to bottom water with some rope wicks fed up into the soil. I also use basil as a companion plant to help against critters.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Just a 50/50 mix of top soil and mushroom manure and some granular fertilizer sprinkled over the top.

I'm using the recommendation in the (great) book "Epic Tomatoes": a 2.5-to-1 blend of the lowest price potting mix* and composted steer manure. Two weeks after planting, sprinkle a capful of Osmocote on top. Done. I augment that procedure by also tossing in a half cup of fish meal, bone meal and worm castings per plant, as done at Love Apple Farm in Santa Cruz.

*a/k/a Miracle-Gro

Last edited:
Its what i red there maybe some folklore in there but tomatoes basil chives peppers marigolds are some companion plants said to help each other.

I know that Marigolds are a good thing to plant among carrots because the carrot fly doesn't like them.

Garlic is supposed to deter some pests too. Just never heard it about Basil but if you manage to grow basil outdoors in the UK you're a better gardener than me anyways! :)

But Basil is the King of Herbs and they say if you got enough space to grow one herb, grow basil. If you have enough for two, grow more basil!

Last edited:
I had a bountyful crop of roma and san marzano last year unfortunitly half of them developed a end rot blite.
This year im trying some different types, my planters are raised completly off the ground and i use a regular super soil and mushroom composte plus rock dust, finely crushed egg shells in the bottom of the holes and courser shells on top to ward off critters. A seaweed fertalizer and some worm castings around the plant.
Im looking for some large shallow containers to bottom water with some rope wicks fed up into the soil. I also use basil as a companion plant to help against critters.

Blossom End rot? This is caused by a calcium deficiency. Try calcium chloride spray when the blossoms start to show.

Blossom end rot: how to identify, treat, and prevent it

Calcium Chloride is a simple salt, no reason to fear it.

Otherwise, add lime to your soil.

I have clay soil and lime each year with 40# of Dolomite lime, but still get blossom end rot late in the year and have to spray with CaCl.

The only way I see basil deterring pests is if it's used as a getter; I've always found my basil attracts all the critters! Being half Italian means I cannot get enough of basil and tomatoes though.

Jokes on the UK much like here in the Pacific northwest, but a sunny window will grow basil indoors through the winter. Otherwise I just freeze leaves laid flat for sauces etc.

Marigolds are one that is known for deterrence, not sure what else.

For slugs you can use a copper based slug bait. It works or at least the one I tried did. I tried another slug bait, non copper and it did not seem to make a difference. Also, try cutting up copper wire and sprinkle the cuttings in the pot. That also works. Slugs and copper do not mix.

Blossom end rot is is caused by a Calcium deficiency it is always written. Two things. If you believe it is wholly caused by a Calcium deficiency then spray your plants early and regularly with some Calcium enriched solution.

In my experience thats not the issue however. Calcium is pretty hard to avoid in soil and in many / most fertilizers / additives, IOW its already present. The issue is its transportation within the plant - the Xylem and Phloem do this.

The answer is constant moisture. Do not let the media the plant is in dry out and do not over water either. Try to keep the moisture level in the media constant and always moist, - not wet. Roots need air as well as water. If you use a media with good water retention then less watering is needed, conversely a very well draining media will need more moisture more often.

If you want to be one with your plants and you have the time then a watering can is all you need. If you want a little automation then use a reservoir and pump with a timer. In the pots you can use droppers or sprayers to deliver the water.

Remember for your nutrient, Tomatoes or any other fruit bearing plant will require more phosphorus and less nitrogen, unless you want a really green lush looking plant with little fruit :)

Andrew

Last edited:
You don't even need the battery or the second wire since snails and slugs will not crawl across copper. It reacts with their slime.
That may be true but the sadistic side of me loves watching them hit that second wire.
Blight is our nemesis here too. We use a wetable copper powder sprayed starting the first week of August and can often save most of the crop that would otherwise go by the way of the dodo. It makes you :bawling: to see those beautiful plants succumb to that nasty fungus.

Blossom End rot?
Not sure what Paul is referring to but up north here, blight is common. When the plant gets rained on too much, it can spell the death of your labour.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 9.04.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 9.04.05 AM.png
    613.1 KB · Views: 93
I may have to rethink my watering stratagey, my planter is the south wall of my shop and gets full sun. They are around 16" deep and i had to water them everyday in good weather otherwise they would start to wilt. I assumed i was watering deep enough but maybe not.
And i was referring to bloom end rot.
The one i made up for my daughter with the same dirt in a single large pot did not get any.

I read somewhere that Epsom salts is (are?} good for tomatoes.

As for companion plants and basil: I also find basil attracts every creepy crawly in the book, even when grown in a pot on my deck it just encourages the slugs and snails to climb up to the deck. A couple of years ago I got a seedling of epazote (at Canadian Tire no less); it grew like the weed that it is, and bugs and slugs seemed to hate it. Best year for basil ever, the basil was in pots next to the epazote pot. The epazote is wonderful in beans (red or black), but it's one of those flavors that needs to cook for a bit. The fresh leaves smell like gasoline or maybe mineral spirits, I'm not kidding, but once they simmer for a bit they produce a very nice but unique flavor.