The food thread

Haggis is wonderful food and very tasty - you can't have 'nuggets' of haggis that's complete bollocks. The Aryans and Celts on the island as a whole like food with taste. Haggis has a lovely spicy taste.

Curry is the favourite food on the island, however a lot of the named curries have never been heard of in India or Pakistan. I got a PM by an Indian guy on this forum to do with audio , he came from the foothills of the Himalayas and when I asked him what were his favourite curries and mentioned - Roghan Josh, Jalfrezi , Pal and a few others, he had never heard of them.

This winter I'm going to try my hand at making 'bannocks' - small oat cakes to eat at breakfast. Oats as a winter breakfast can't be beat, very healthy and full of fibre. All the Kellogs breakfast cereals should be banned, all the fibre has been destroyed and they are loaded with suga, E numbers and salt.

If governments everywhere actually served the interests of the general public then a lot of crap masquerading as food would be banned. No added sugar or salt or artificial colourings and 'tastes'. I remember my first visit to the continent and the colour of strawberry jam, it was nothing like the bright red stuff back on the island. That's because it wasn't adulterated with artificial colouring.

Must finish here as I'm off to do some shopping 30K away. There is a street market and I buy lots of veg and fruit from one particular stall, excellent quality and mostly cheaper than the crap that goes off fast from the supermarkets and cheaper.

Don't the Scots serve haggis with whiskey to, how shall we say, "fix" the taste?

I eat haggis to fix the taste of scotch.

Seriously though Haggis is delicious even though I usually replace the neeps with kale because in northern Germany we have a very similar 'sausage', oats remain but all the sheep bits are replaced by the same bits from a pig which we serve with tatties and kale.
A little taste of home so to speak...

In Scotland I wanted to like black pudding for breakfast, but I couldn't put it in my mouth, or even stand the smell. It might have had something to do with the Old Pulteney after the concert the night before. Didn't stop us from going to the distillery for a tasting a couple of hours later after a long walk in the fog.

Also: in Scotland "regular" coffee means instant, ask for the "filter".

I love black pudding any time of the day. Again like haggis it is a reminder of German sausages although we call it more honestly Blutwurst (blood sausage).

Not a fan of Scotch though. Oddly enough something I have in common with all my Scottish friends but they did introduce me to the pleasures of Woodford Reserve and Knob Creek. ;)
However by far my favourite alcoholic beverages still are good beer and Tequila.
In fact Tequila is the only form of alcohol that gets me drunk without having to drive the porcelain bus.
With all other forms of alcohol I start throwing up and get headaches before I get noticeably drunk but with Tequila I can easily empty a bottle or two on a good night and just get happily wasted.

I love black pudding any time of the day. Again like haggis it is a reminder of German sausages although we call it more honestly Blutwurst (blood sausage).

Not a fan of Scotch though. Oddly enough something I have in common with all my Scottish friends but they did introduce me to the pleasures of Woodford Reserve and Knob Creek. ;)
However by far my favourite alcoholic beverages still are good beer and Tequila.

Mixed grill plate with black pudding & haggis I got on Orkney in the middle of nowhere.
It was quite OK after a long day of motorbiking. :)

I was mildly irritated by the fact that at least the first bottles just above the upper end of the picture contained Bourbon.

< 20150628_200456 | Grillteller Orkney Art. Nix fur Veggies. L… | Flickr >

cheers,
Gerhard

Last edited:
American scotch maybe but not the real thing - whisky. The only thing keeping sherry (jerez) alive was the market for sherry barrels which are used to age whisky. It is these barrels that give whisky it's taste.

If you want a cheap copy of young whisky look for Cuban/Dominican Republic rum, they use the same used sherry barrels.