The food thread

Turns out I have the 8" Omcan cleaver not the 9".

Put it on the scale to find it weighs a whopping 885 gr. Notice the 6 fingers slots on the handle.

Attachments

• IMG_0778.jpg
    IMG_0778.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 72
Turns out I have the 8" Omcan cleaver not the 9".

Put it on the scale to find it weighs a whopping 885 gr. Notice the 6 fingers slots on the handle.

That looks good, toe weighted? Looks very economical too. The user reviews say it's fine for beef but the manu does not recommend it. That's my problem since I joined this local meat CSA which does not break down things. In hindsight I can't avoid getting some kind of saw too since you can't break down shanks with a cleaver.

EDIT - A Weston 22" bone saw is only $23

Last edited:
Fellow food technicians:. This past weekend I brined and roasted a turkey. (Also stuffed it, despite all warnings.). Not my first brined turkey, and it was supposed to be a fresh (not frozen) bird. It turned out OK, and the breast meat was nice and moist, but the dark meat was really salty. Way over-salted.

What happened?

I have a couple of theories, which I will keep to myself for now, but I really want to avoid salty turkey in the future, so looking for your inputs.

Last edited:
You're not alone over the last couple of decades I've been present for inedible saltlick turkey that was store bought at least twice. In one case they refunded all customers who bought one whether they complained or not (they figured they should have).

That was my theory #1: the bird was already brined or seasoned in some way, or even previously frozen, and treated with some sodium compound, but labeled fresh.

Yoy already know the answers but...
Fellow food technicians:. This past weekend I brined and roasted a turkey.
Good
(Also stuffed it, despite all warnings.).
Bad
It turned out OK, and the breast meat was nice and moist, but the dark meat was really salty. Way over-salted. What happened?
You already know.
I have a couple of theories, which I will keep to myself for now, but I really want to avoid salty turkey in the future, so looking for your inputs.
If you want to roast the whole bird at one time use half the salt and leave it twice as long.

There's more to it than than but from what you're telling us...

Since there is just the two of us, and we don't need the nice presentation of a whole bird, I usually remove the wings and drums after one day in the brine and leave the breast and thighs for a second day before roasting.

Back in the day I used to cook for 45-60 and believe it or not Julia Child's deboned turkey was a big hit. Basicly you spatchcock it and lay it on a pile of stuffing and roast it. The opportunity to make a real gravy from all the bones was not missed (no stock cubes allowed).

I need help.
I have some UFC Tamis Anghang and I admit to being confused. Maybe you guys can help. It's bright red just like other ketchups but doesn't taste anything like banana nor does it have anything in it to make it red other than chili. What gives?

The history book says it's dyed red just to look like the big K and was intended as a substitute in times of need.

Recently I've been wandering through this umami thing and how complicated it actually is. Many cultures discovered it by accident and there are many examples of sources. Most web discussions of MSG are so full of emotional content that they are useless. Many cultures have been brewing up these sauces for 100's of years as flavor enhancement, oyster sauce, fish sauce, Ketchup, soy sauce, miso, mushroom sauce, Worcestershire, etc. but one common denominator is the presence of free glutamates.