The food thread

Me and mamselle visited Parma and Bologna about 6 years ago -- i think the city has two adjectives (pardon my Italian) "la grassa", or "la dotta".

Same trip got a EUR125 ticket for driving in the bus lane in Milano.

I know Bologna as 'La Rossa' (the red one) because of the colour of its buildings but mostly because they have had a communist council for a very, very long time. I have been told that they vote communist because it is the only party that is anti-catholic and the pope invaded Bologna some 500 years ago. Bologna's communist city council was famous in the EU for being the best and most efficiently run city in all of Europe.

Since its pretty cold now, i found a nice soup from leek and lemons would be a good idea, also a a thai style omelette with some chillies.

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    794.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 99
Mrs K is visting daughter and granddaughter in Windy City and I have to spend almost a month home alone, including Xmas and NewYear-eve, but i don't mind really.

This is my X-mas supper (slightly traditional):
Various pickled herrings, the smoked eel :)lickface:, many dislike it because of its close appearance to long legless animals that tend to hiss), meatballs and small sausages made from boar and browned cabbage to go with the palls and sausages. At the castle shop where the sausages comes from I bough some special whiskey mustard.
To get all the goodies down: Oppigårds Amarillo (a beer with distinctive taste a little like IPA) and New Holland's Bierschnapps.

Had visited three X-mas smorgasbord just before X-mas so this was enough for me.

Attachments

• 041.JPG
    041.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 042.JPG
    042.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 80
I love smoked eel!

Excellent snack to go with a traditional 'Herrengedeck' (a beer and a korn).
My dad had a method of catching eels with a long stick, strong wool, worms and a paddling pool but no hooks.
here is another, even less tasteful method:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNvbYtUA3MY
Eels are getting rarer these days, numbers of elvers are down over 90% in the UK. Not sure if it is pollution or the slowing of the Gulf stream. Probably both...

Last edited:
Too much fishing and powerplants that chop up the eels in pieces are the biggest threat.
Over here fishermen bring eels from lake Venern (Sweden's biggest lake), past the power dams to the ocean and back and in return they get a quota they can keep and smoke.

Eel is a very fatty fish (lots of Q3 for my heart) that, as you point out, goes perfectly with various fluids that help solve the fat.
The traditional Swedish X-mas bord contains loads of yummi food that needs quantities of beer and schnaps.

In this restaurant a real Swedish bord is served. You are suppes to make it in 5 plates, starting with herring, the fish, the cold meat, the warm platter and finally the sweet.
http://www.emwine.com/julbord/

I also have to stress that Christmas is the point of year when most heart attacks and stones in the gall bladder occur ....

I love smoked eel!
Eels are getting rarer these days, numbers of elvers are down over 90% in the UK. Not sure if it is pollution or the slowing of the Gulf stream. Probably both...

Check out "North Atlantic Oscillation". Also (many German professionals) elvers have been hammered for many years in the UK.

Last edited:
Shoveled the driveway (125 yards plus two parking lots) with the son today. We had about 6" of snow, temp didn't get above 28F (-2C) all day. It is going down to around 7F (-14) tonight.

I made navy bean soup with Andouille, purple cabbage and home made sourdough bread for dinner.

Baking helps keep the house warm.

Attachments

• DSCN2941.jpg
    DSCN2941.jpg
    740.1 KB · Views: 112