The food thread

50 bucks (provided the artistic position is risqué, but minus a durian)

During the cook break yesterday, I had a worn-out puppy deep asleep on the floor in front of the oven.
As not to wake the rug, I opened the door of the oven just a few inches for a peek from above, to check the crisp of the Roseval potatoes.
With a combi steamer oven at 400F, that was not exactly a smart move.

A mere 54F outside, and my face is already burnt, what a glorious start of the season.

Noel 1949

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    690.7 KB · Views: 105
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I would like to put in a plug / recommendation for a sous-vide marinade recipe that works quite well, in my kitchen anyway, on those wonderful Costco-purchased filet mignon steaks in the blue USDA PRIME packages.

Recipe: Faux Dry-Aged Steak (marinade) for sous vide (scroll down a ways)

We had these for dinner tonight and they were spectacular. Hope you enjoy the recipe too! As the trendy websites like to say, it's a Umami Bomb.

Mark Johnson

Last edited:
Have just made a batch of pizza dough which is proving outside for a few hours. Nice warm sunny day here so it's perfect for the dough.

My kids have friends coming over later and we're getting them to roll out the dough (with supervision) then make up their own individual pizzas.

I'm setting up the projector in the lounge and later on they can have 'Movie Night'

Got to find something suitable for a pair of 6 year olds and a pair of 9 year olds.. :)

Unfortunately those look not legal for export to the US. We had several Thueringer wurst available when I was a kid in Milwaukee, I don't remember them well enough to compare to the original.

Boerewors is available in the US or at least in NYC and San Diego.
https://www.jontyjacobs.com/

Thüringer don't travel well. Indeed they don't keep well, you have to cook them on the same day they are made. I think it is because the recipe calls for fresh milk as an ingredient.
Even in Thüringen the sausages are patchy: About half are just regular decent bratwurst but the other half is sublime and you can't get a really good one in the rest of Germany either. Indeed I had no idea how good they can be until I visited a friend in Weimar.

Have just made a batch of pizza dough which is proving outside for a few hours. Nice warm sunny day here so it's perfect for the dough.

My kids have friends coming over later and we're getting them to roll out the dough (with supervision) then make up their own individual pizzas.

I'm setting up the projector in the lounge and later on they can have 'Movie Night'

Got to find something suitable for a pair of 6 year olds and a pair of 9 year olds.. :)
Nice.....interesting is what they select to watch.

Dan.