The food thread

There is now sold "Russian Imperial Caviar." Looks like the real stuff, fairly large as in the good stuff, tastes somewhat like it, but as far as I can tell contains ingredients like beef! Completely fake but at modest prices will fool many. It is actually better than many of the real and equally priced bad stuff.

There's Pescaviar (faux caviar) made in Spain, but I can't find any faux brand that calls itself caviar. Farran Adria's chemical spherification techniques opened up lots of possibilities. The South Koreans are getting $4000/k for farm raised stuff, eggs are milked not killing the fish.

So the cliche about red hot is wrong, that is actually one of the coldest steel heats.
Except that by the time it glows red, it's bloody hot. Red hot in fact! :)
Then we could talk about a "boilermaker" drink. That is whiskey with a beer chaser.
I think a traditional Boilermaker is where you drop a shot glass of whiskey into a 3/4 full beer mug and consume post-haste.

Fake stuff on eBay who'd a thought. A year shelf life without refrigeration too? The eggs are far smaller than the best BTW, but Beluga is now banned from open sale.

EDIT- just got my "you might be interested in" email hilarious.

The same product brand used by Russian politicians (Medvedev, Putin and others), businessmens (Abramovich, Prohorov and others)

No Gimmicks ! No 'Caviar style' type !

Fresh, Tasty, ORIGINAL, no other oil products inclusions or any imitations !
DEAR VISITORS, please be pation. Date on the can is a production date. (According to the Russian technical specification)

Last edited:
Definitely time for me to get out more often. I'm learning something new everyday.

Quote:
There are a number of ways to drink an American boilermaker:
Traditionally, the liquor is drunk in a single gulp and is then "chased" by the beer, which is sipped.[4][5]
The liquor and beer may be mixed by pouring or dropping the shot into the beer. The mixture may be stirred, if desired.[4] If the full shot glass is dropped into the beer glass, the drink is known as a depth charge.
The liquor may be poured directly into an open beer bottle or can after removing some of the beer.

Not heard the term depth charge before. I feel enlightened. I think I will go make it each way and come back with the results. :)

Definitely time for me to get out more often. I'm learning something new everyday.

Quote:
There are a number of ways to drink an American boilermaker:
Traditionally, the liquor is drunk in a single gulp and is then "chased" by the beer, which is sipped.[4][5]
The liquor and beer may be mixed by pouring or dropping the shot into the beer. The mixture may be stirred, if desired.[4] If the full shot glass is dropped into the beer glass, the drink is known as a depth charge.
The liquor may be poured directly into an open beer bottle or can after removing some of the beer.

Not heard the term depth charge before. I feel enlightened. I think I will go try each way of making it and report back. :)

Please report back which technique works best for you, after careful study.

Draft cider and Calvados. Now that reminds me of a few headaches experienced.

bubles are dangerous when mixed with something else ! Base of physic laws we learn to our teenager here :D !

yes all the fruit alcohol in fact, though I find the calvados being ok ! The "vieille Prune" (plum brandy) is although as dangeous for headaches than it is good to drink !

Oh man all the bubles wines you have in North Italy, I'm jealous :) !