The food thread

Pasties!

Yooper Soul Food!

Invented by the Cornishmen; Perfected by the Finlanders.

Fits right in with the 2" - 3" of snow that fell in St Louis region today. Served them to my daughter & her family for her birthday dinner.

Dale

Attachments

• Pasties_Unbaked_Feb2016.jpg
    Pasties_Unbaked_Feb2016.jpg
    978.8 KB · Views: 103
A little story for you:

Bought me one 'o' them there indoor grilly things. It's like the George Foreman but it's a T-Fal Optigrill and it's a little more advanced. It has different settings, and things that happen automatically as long as you follow the instructions. I went online to a food kind of forum and it had great reviews, all 4 and 5 stars. Brought it home, read the instruction thoroughly and spent all Valentine's day cooking with it. We did beef, chicken, burger patties, bacon, bread, zucchini, potato, onion and asparagus. Great little unit, did everything really well and super fast.

This morning I decided to look at another forum to see how other's liked theirs and was shocked to see most everyone giving it 1 star. Everybody took theirs back or just put it on a shelf and didn't bother with it again. They all seemed to have the same problem. The darn thing started out ok but kept going into manual mode and simply would't go back into auto mode no matter how many times they lifted the lid and fiddled around with the buttons.

I'm glad I read the instructions as mine did the same thing but at least I knew why. I had thrown off the sensors by opening the thing and poking around (kid with a new toy) for too long that the sensors had to convert to manual mode as it wasn't able to overcome all that farting around with it. Basically the thing was telling me - Look if you want me to cook it, I will. If you want to keep opening the lid, I don't stand a chance of getting it right so you may as well take over.

Anyone reading this, understand that it seems to be a dandy little grill and far superior to the George Foreman one that seemed to get the ball rolling with these things.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
A little story for you:

Bought me one 'o' them there indoor grilly things. It's like the George Foreman but it's a T-Fal Optigrill and it's a little more advanced. It has different settings, and things that happen automatically as long as you follow the instructions. I went online to a food kind of forum and it had great reviews, all 4 and 5 stars. Brought it home, read the instruction thoroughly and spent all Valentine's day cooking with it. We did beef, chicken, burger patties, bacon, bread, zucchini, potato, onion and asparagus. Great little unit, did everything really well and super fast.

This morning I decided to look at another forum to see how other's liked theirs and was shocked to see most everyone giving it 1 star. Everybody took theirs back or just put it on a shelf and didn't bother with it again. They all seemed to have the same problem. The darn thing started out ok but kept going into manual mode and simply would't go back into auto mode no matter how many times they lifted the lid and fiddled around with the buttons.

I'm glad I read the instructions as mine did the same thing but at least I knew why. I had thrown off the sensors by opening the thing and poking around (kid with a new toy) for too long that the sensors had to convert to manual mode as it wasn't able to overcome all that farting around with it. Basically the thing was telling me - Look if you want me to cook it, I will. If you want to keep opening the lid, I don't stand a chance of getting it right so you may as well take over, so into manual mode it goes.

Anyone reading this, understand that it seems to be a dandy little grill and far superior to the George Foreman one that seemed to get the ball rolling with these things.

Good insight there Cal! I've had several such grills and was never happy with the results. Got to the point that I truly believed that no good grill can be made without a real bbq. Then I came across this method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hT_NuR3X48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmC9SmCBUj4

For me at least, the results were quite amazing. I like my steak juicy and nice and pink in the middle but with a nice crust.

A little story for you:

Me too. Bought a top of the line Electrolux Fridge and the ice maker froze up solid every few days. Luckily we bought in home repair. The guy came and said we have too many people in our household and the fridge was being opened too often and just left. Turns out a month later they declared a replacement to anyone who wanted one with a new redesigned unit.

That's good customer service. Rather expensive too I imagine.

I think the only thing T-Fal did wrong was to not point out why the machine was doing what it was in Big Bold Letters to get the attention of those too lazy to read the manual. On that one forum alone, I can't imagine the damage done to the reputation of the machine let alone the costs of the return of perfectly good units.

where I demolished everything with my bad hot temper, and now have to fix everything with patience.

(later this week I have to paint-over the kitchen walls, didn't think through that it was half-full and red before I hit the side table with the wine bottle yesterday evening. Unfortunately, the fragmentation splatter & glass splinters also easily reached half of the dining room)

Attachments

• Hick-Up.JPG
    Hick-Up.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 88
where I demolished everything with my bad hot temper, and now have to fix everything with patience.

(later this week I have to paint-over the kitchen walls, didn't think through that it was half-full and red before I hit the side table with the wine bottle yesterday evening. Unfortunately, the fragmentation splatter & glass splinters also easily reached half of the dining room)

I've only done that with a blueberry clafoutis when an annoying guest started to whine at me that it was burnt on the edges.

Empanadas?

Pasties!

My grandmother was one of those Finns, raised in a boarding house in a northern mining town. Corned beef and potato pasties are comfort food in my family. I wish I could make a crust as good as my mother's.

Empanadas would have been be my other grandmother's territory. She was born in Nicaragua, but grew up with staff to cook and clean for the family so cooking was not her strength. It was my Italian-born grandfather that did the serious cooking in their house.

Bill

Good insight there Cal! I've had several such grills and was never happy with the results. Got to the point that I truly believed that no good grill can be made without a real bbq. Then I came across this method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hT_NuR3X48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmC9SmCBUj4

For me at least, the results were quite amazing. I like my steak juicy and nice and pink in the middle but with a nice crust.

I've been using variations on this method for steaks or chops:

How to Cook Frozen Steak - Nathan Myhrvold Frozen Steak Recipe

Basically, meat straight from the fridge or freezer, sear both sides in a *HOT* skillet, then finish in a low oven. Nice medium rare right through, no 'grey band', with a nice sear outside. Simple and reasonably forgiving.

I also tried the opposite with a boneless leg of lamb - a couple of hours roasting at 275 to hit about 128 degrees, a half-hour rest to get the meat to a nice pink all the way through (135 final temp in the middle), while resting the roast crank the oven to 500, then pop the roast back in for 10 - 15 min to brown up the outside and render out the fat cap. Yum.