The food thread

chicken soup.jpg
Organic FR chicken and organic veggies soup, made with love by my GF :cool:.

Dan.

Last edited:
Tuesday veggie soup with leek and lemon, added some mushrooms and parsley. Very good combo leek and sour!
Yesterday thaistyle fried veggies ( whatever i found in the deep space of the fridge) and a nice peace of sirloin with thairice.

The veggies were prepared within 25 min, absolutely tasteful.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    709.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    488.5 KB · Views: 90
View attachment 519822
Organic FR chicken and organic veggies soup, made with love by my GF :cool:.
Dan.

If you can get it in your part of the UK, try a kosher chicken -- really tasty -- for compliance with the religious law the birds are not bread for maximum weight, and the processing is different from the industrial farms.

Probably easier for you (than me) to get a bird from Bourg-en-Bresse, which we've had over there. They are also wonderful, £1.60 /100g

and the processing is different from the industrial farms.

I've been pleased with the interest Aussies and Kiwis have in non-industrial farming. Here I have a dozen or more choices of family run farms that raise animals in small quantities, though our own CSA was enjoined from doing on site slaughter by the FDA and the farmer quit raising chickens lest he have to "stress" them with the trip to a certified location.

The wine they can keep.

Last edited:
Brian, you're asking for a spearing for that comment! The Australian race goes back 40,000 years and they're extremely vocal about reminding us newcomers.

Hey Scott, surely you're tasting the wrong wines? We reputedly produce some of the finest. I had a 1997 Penfolds Bin 389 the other week that I'm certain any red wine drinker would have to love...

Thanks Stuey,

I do realise that you are correct and apologise to those ignored above. What I could have said - and with more truth - would have got me shot rather than speared!!

I've read most of Peter Carey's novels and believe that I have some feeling for the Country...even if from a one-view perspective. I even have friends living there....in weird sounding places such as 'Upboy Creek'. (No comment required Jacco - please! )

P.S.I was going to link a utube song concerning a wayward boomerang (by Charlie Drake), but see that it is banned in Aus, so better not to pour fuel etc.

Last edited:

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Discovered another trick. One of the difficulties in making good artisan bread at home is the lack of steam. Steam is paramount in developing the right crust and industrial ovens have steam injection done properly. Famous bakers like Chad Robertson found that baking in a preheated dutch oven is the closest you can get to an industrial oven. Which works great, except when you want to bake a bread that's larger than it can fit in a dutch oven. I finally got a solution for this problem and the result is very good, as you can see in the attached photo. It's a large boule, larger than my largest dutch oven. Baked this last night. The ingredients are only preferment (sourdough starter), unbleached white flour, rye flour, whole wheat flour, water, salt.

Attachments

• IMG_8035.JPG
    IMG_8035.JPG
    546.2 KB · Views: 64
lack of steam. Steam is paramount in developing the right crust and industrial ovens have steam injection done properly.

Amen

I put a tray with warm water on the bottom shelf of the oven, preheat to 375 or 400, then pull the heat down before the dough is put in.

When wifey and i go to FR on vacation, we always stop at a boulangerie after landing at CDG on our way out (last time to Brittany) -- get the rent-a-car full of crumbs.