The food thread

There was some truth to it in the mid '80s.
For reasons unknown to me the US$ was grossly over valued compared to most european currencies ($1 bought 3x as much in Germany than it did in the US).
Consequently US tourists who at home could only afford McD found themselves in Michelin starred eateries in Europe.

It is surprising how long prejudices persist.

Never had anything but good experiences in starred restaurants in the 90's, a simple talk with the maitre'd and a discussion of appropriate wines was enough. The exaggeration of $5 happy meal to 3 star experience is not necessary.The folks with Hawaiian shirts, shorts, and cameras did not tend to feel comfortable in such experiences and they were never at that price level. The worst ugly American anecdotes I have heard from chefs were from the 50's and 60's where American industrialists were hopeless bores culture-wise.

And I like steak and kidney pie, and haggis.

Last edited:
Just this weekend i cooked some asian street food for some guests
You can see the thai *Phak boong fai däng*, they call it also the morning glory,
taste was very good, pretty close to the origin, but i can not do it with a fireball in my small kitchen, which add this special smokey taste.
Another dish is a kind of pork meatballs fried in lemongrasspieces, accompanied with sweet sour cucumber/onion relish, this is street food in Laos.
They enjoyed it a lot, nothing left over.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    760.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    744 KB · Views: 102
You can have my seat at the annual St. Andrew's Society Dinner in NY. Haggis is made worse by the liberal application of scotch whiskey.

I figure my contribution to culinary history should be a fine sauce to raise haggis to high cuisine. Or maybe a molecular dish "virtual haggis".

Unfortunately I hear sheep lights are not legal for commercial sale here, will have to it from scratch. EDIT - Oh boy the ban has been lifted.

Last edited: