The food thread

Not even gin will get rid of the taste of garlic or onion powder.

Maybe SY could enlighten us on the transmutaion of chemical composition that makes garlic and onion powder so noxious.

As for Parma, better than Maumee. The operative word for me is Kraft, I have no problem with honest cheese made for folks with a different taste than mine.

Last edited:
Always begs the question of what the "authentic" Cajuns did before the spice industry. These lines of inquiry never made friends amongst the hipsters of the day, any day.

Yeah, an old friend of mine (used to be chief scientist at Nicolet) is part of one of the multi-century lines in LA. Cousin of Paul Prudhomme. A trip back to his home town was a real educational experience: food, music, history, linguistics. I don't think anyone there got the concept of "hipster," nor had any exposure to that subspecies.

Okra soup in the Dutch Antilles goes by the name Guiambo. (okra, stock, scotch bonnet, fish and/or meat)

And as is general knowledge, the trade from Africa had logistic stop/stack-overs in the Caribbean. :clown:
(most Cajuns were not into keeping slaves, btw, likely a main reason for the cuisine to be relatively authentic and not totally creole)

Cajun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most of the spices were already available in southern Louisiana. The rest were brought in from Africa with the slave trade.

I was thinking in the context of the industrially produced powdered garlic/onion and spice mixes. I personally don't find them very appealing and doubt they taste like anything ate in the 1860's, though of course I'll never know.

Remember Justin Wilson and his margarine flavored salt on oysters, I don't know if that was a joke or what?

Anyone use this method of cooking? Is it a fad or what?

Been around a long time actually, I was taught as far back as 1974 to poach things in a butter bath at the desired final internal temperature.

Quite trendy with restaurants these days, imagine cooking your steak to exactly 130 degrees and holding it there for as many hours as you want and at the last minute pop it out of the bag and torch the outside. Instant removal of the need for skilled line cooks.