The food thread

Have you tasted the difference between Brown red lobsters( what we call american/canadien lobsters) and blue lobsters ( we call them bretagne/ norway lobsters); is there a difference,
Over here big price difference

No, only warm water ones sans claws and they certainly can be good. I have to say ours vary season to season, right now they are shedding. I find them best when the water is very cold and the shells very hard. BTW 1 in 2M of ours come out blue and it causes a sensation.

If as the French claim theirs is superior why at one restaurant was the ADDER on the prix fix 100 Euro for Maine lobster. My references say Norway lobster is a langouste distinct from Bretane (a true clawed lobster).

The local lobsters also sometimes (rarely) come in white. Once I accompanied some school kids on an outing to BIO (Bedford Institute of Oceanography) and saw some interesting live ones. There was one which was evenly divided down the length of its body, one side bright blue, the other pure white. Very rare. Didn't get to taste it.

Audresselles

(ou Auder'sele en Belgicais :clown: )

Yes that must be what JPV meant, scant references. The color thing in Canada and the US is interesting apparently there are 3 pigments red, blue, and yellow so several combinations are possible including albino. One reference said pure red is the rarest. The pure blue is brilliant and not as navy colored as the Audresselles.

Yes that must be what JPV meant, scant references. The color thing in Canada and the US is interesting apparently there are 3 pigments red, blue, and yellow so several combinations are possible including albino. One reference said pure red is the rarest. The pure blue is brilliant and not as navy colored as the Audresselles.

I meant the normal european one which is dark blue and comes from the north sea and the channel. I don't know if the real audressie is a variant. I was told that some will not turn red after cooking but I have never seen it. Some seem to be paler and grayer than the breton.

èèn ?

Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis - extrait n°3 - YouTube

Gotcha ! :clown:

(you should know that long time ago, it used to be a somewhat Belgium/Belgica area, and that folks still talk French à la 'Flamande' overthere. Hence the Belgicais joke. Auder'sele-Odersele)

Gotcha !

I was puzzled by belgicais. In France it is common to say ' accent belch ' or en belch. They ask you to speak belch when they mean flemish.
Do they still have a local dialect mix of french and flemish that is called belgicais ( like français) overthere?

Belgicain is used to refer to old mentality of dominating french speaking belgian bourgeoisie and nobility

Odersele make sens.

èèn ?

Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis - extrait n°3 - YouTube

Gotcha ! :clown:

(you should know that long time ago, it used to be a somewhat Belgium/Belgica area, and that folks still talk French à la 'Flamande' overthere. Hence the Belgicais joke, Belge is for the French. Auder'sele-Odersele)

Some in depth analysis:p

Along the border of France and belgium they speak two main local dialects related to the two main languages of belgium.

In the southern part they speek chtimi wich is cousin of walloon in belgium.
Walloon is one of the many old dialects ( langue d'oi ) from which the french dialect from Paris took over; Walloon is very different from french but with same roots.

In the north, close to the sea, it was originally a flemish region speaking one of the flemish dialects from which dutch (dubbel:D) took over.

So in the movie, the accent used to say un (one) has nothing to do with the way in which you say een ( one ) in flemish.

We are interested in non linear distortion aren't we ?

my "French"

The garçon from Paris may have been of the same opinion. :clown:

Back in the old days, where I grew up, TV reception had a choice of 8 channels.
The 2 national Dutch channels (above the river), 3 German ones, 2 Belgian, 1 French.
German channels were NDR (= North Germany), WDR (= West), and ZDF (South).
Belgian ones were BRT (= Flemish spoken), and RTBF (= Wallonia )
Number eight was TV5, mix of Parisian news items and multi-cultural.

Means one got to practice auditing Bavarian dialect one day, Antwerp slang Flemish on the second, French dialect on the third.
English inbetween (plus all other languages), Dutch and Flemish channels only broadcast original versions with subtitles in Baslandais, no dubbing.

Reason for a few to do near flawless British English at age 12, with a fairly decent posh accent if so required.
(or an attempt at an Irish, Scottish, Canadian, Oz, nasal Kiwi, SA, Cajun, York, or Welsh tongue, plus a fair bit of Cymraeg and old Gaelic)
Dutch channels to this very day, are too boring to watch (and alien), merely good for news items.
The 3d, cultural channel, sometimes broadcasts something foreign and/or fun, as e.g. the Ch'tis.

All gone with the advent of multi-lingo DVD's, Faecesbook, and League of Legends.

(most appealing American tongue is by some Canadian Hollywood actrices, imo, English with just a dash of exotic fragrance)

Last edited:
Coming back to this blue lobster stuff i am still confused. The european lobster is dark blue ( so is the bretagne lobster).
But I read in a book on regional cooking ( la cuisine du terroir) that they serve lobster in bretagne and also the king of lobster the blue one. Is it that there are two blues and the rare one is considered as the king. It is seems not to be unique to Auderselle perhaps more frequent there; I have no idea why it was called blue from auderselle. Auderselle is not far from Bretagne with Normandy in between and Normandy is as famous for their lobsters. In fact, they take the name from the fishing port where they were cached and sold. I beleive that we have here in Belgium ( we are very close to auderselle) lobsters from Scotland or Norway which are the same but perhaps more abundant allthough the french like to say that they have the best. I believe they overfished it.

Coming back to this blue lobster stuff i am still confused. The european lobster is dark blue ( so is the bretagne lobster).
But I read in a book on regional cooking ( la cuisine du terroir) that they serve lobster in bretagne and also the king of lobster the blue one. Is it that there are two blues and the rare one is considered as the king. It is seems not to be unique to Auderselle perhaps more frequent there; I have no idea why it was called blue from auderselle. Auderselle is not far from Bretagne with Normandy in between and Normandy is as famous for their lobsters. In fact, they take the name from the fishing port where they were cached and sold. I beleive that we have here in Belgium ( we are very close to auderselle) lobsters from Scotland or Norway which are the same but perhaps more abundant allthough the french like to say that they have the best. I believe they overfished it.

Yes, I tried a marine biology site it is Homarus Gammerus vs Homarus Americanus. They are found from Norway on down, probably over fished. A French tourist site identified it as Homarus vulgaris and I can't find any scientific reference to that differentiation.

BTW they do turn red when cooked (so they said), so all the pictures of cooked ones are hard to tell apart. I suspect the colorations can vary causing some confusion.

I remember Gordon R. going berserk when he found Canadian lobster being served as Maine lobster in New York. I assure you we have the same dispute here over essetially genetically identicle "bugs". Good sized ones were at $3.70 a lb on the dock last week (you have to give the fish monger his cut here). They say the European ones are 3X our price.

Last edited: