The food thread

I don't have any recipes that specifically use fresh turmeric, but it might be nice grated into some lentils ("red" lentils, which are yellow, also called "toor dal" or "tuvar dal"). Simmer the lentils in water, turmeric, and a little oil (sesame oil is nice), then add a "tadka" to temper when they are soft (fry some spices, chilies, ginger, etc to taste, and stir into the lentils so they sputter). Serve with rice and/or chapati. If you want add some vegetables while the lentils are simmering, like cubed potato, green beans, spinach, whatever, but nothing strongly flavoured like broccoli.

Other than that I assume it would be wonderful in any dish where you would use dried turmeric, but with more aromatics. I have never seen red turmeric, sounds interesting.

Ice cream

I was reading the previous posts about ice cream, and it brought back a memory from a few years ago. I had to drop off my wife in the town of Wolfville in Nova Scotia's Annapolis Valley for a few hours one hot summer day, and my daughter (maybe 7 at the time) was in the car with me, and I set off to kill some time driving around. We headed down the valley until I saw a sign for a place called Black Rock, heading off to my right towards the Bay of Fundy. So I took the right, drove towards the North Mountain (a ridge anywhere else), up a twisty road to the top then down towards the Bay and along the shore, exquisite views of Ile Haute and Cap D'Or, until we got to Victoria Harbour, then back over the "mountain" and into the valley. I headed for the town where my mother was born via small secondary roads, and as I rounded a turn at 90km/h I about flat-spotted the tires when a cardboard sign saying "Home Made Ice Cream" flashed by. Turned around, back to the farm gate, eventually an old woman came from the farmhouse. I bought some fresh green beans she was also selling, and my daughter and I enjoyed a couple of bowls of ice cream made with whole milk from their own cows, and local berries for flavour. Exquisite. The beans were some of the best I ever ate as well.

The next summer I brought my wife and found the place again, but her husband had had a heart attack and couldn't tend the garden, so there were no beans.

Last edited:
politically incorrect

Large beans sometimes have a flat width of close to half an inch, contain much more seed volume.
And the longer they are, the more concentrated the flavor is.
Crème brûlée for four takes a single bean, but has loads of flavor.

(Jizz means the "essence" of the bird, aka bean. Sounds tacky, and it's true, what more can one ask for)

Do share the 6'' explanation.

The Alchemy of Smoke and Meat
A road-trip guide to the temples of Texas barbecue.

RV-AK599_Bkrv_B_G_20130523134118.jpg

Book Review: The Prophets of Smoked Meat - WSJ.com

Joined 2007
Paid Member
The Alchemy of Smoke and Meat
A road-trip guide to the temples of Texas barbecue.

Now you're talkin'! Beautiful photo too! We headed to the original Kreuz Market in Lockhart. Their setup was similar but pits longer in length. It was the baptism of fire as you walked single file by the pit and the heat hit you. I was wise to go in the Spring and not Summer!:cool:

It's still open but now known as Smitty's.

We headed to the original Kreuz Market in Lockhart.
I thought Black's (?) was the BBQ in Lockhart?? Anyhow, Lockhart is a bit out of the way usually, but I rarely pass by Jerry Mikeska's* in Columbus without stopping. It's right off the interstate. As far as I know Jerry M. (at 90+ yoa) is still kickin'and running the show there.

*pronounced muh-kes-kee

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I thought Black's (?) was the BBQ in Lockhart?? Anyhow, Lockhart is a bit out of the way usually, but I rarely pass by Jerry Mikeska's* in Columbus without stopping. It's right off the interstate. As far as I know Jerry M. (at 90+ yoa) is still kickin'and running the show there.

*pronounced muh-kes-kee

man, we'll need to start a separate thread for best BBQ in Central Texas if we're going to open that can of worms! I've been to both and like both quite a bit.