The food thread

Joined 2007
Paid Member
The Peruvian is more spiced and varied than ours, which is more traditional and derived from Spanish cuisine...yet I bet our hot-dogs will please even the inventors...
https://www.google.cl/search?q=hot+...sI4rQ9ATyjIGwAg&ved=0CEIQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=845

Yes, when I was in Lima, I was very surprised at the various hot dogs and sausages that could be found in the market, plus the difference in taste. They were quite good! In fact, my first meal shared with my wife was at a hot dog stand inside the market in Lima. Good times!

Yes, when I was in Lima, I was very surprised at the various hot dogs and sausages that could be found in the market, plus the difference in taste. They were quite good! In fact, my first meal shared with my wife was at a hot dog stand inside the market in Lima. Good times!

I am glad to make you bring back memories :D
It was very shocking to know that people eat only bred-and-sausage...here, nobody would eat it with at least a pound of avocado paste, he, he.

shot of kirsch?

Bit of a shame.
Even with the classic Franc-Comtoise and Savoy, one needs a steady hand with that stuff, imo.

(for the audience : Alpage merely means it's from mountain grazed, both French and Swiss side. There's also a Swiss cheese brand called d'Alpage, bit of a stinker. In France, Beaufort/Comté types and Emmentaler are dirt cheap, btw. But the Swiss still have the lead, at a cost)

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Made it to Fromagio today and it turns out I would have to pay for an entire Cabrales if I wanted one.

It has just occurred to me the reason why they won't touch the cheese. Once it has been cut open everybody at the shop would get the **** out ASAP. Massive stampede, I can imagine. It would be like opening Pandora's box. Haha I'm being very nasty with that cheese - a sort of revenge.

About cheese, I now remind that from time to time I receive as a gift fresh cheese from rural sites. Once I was asked by family members to get rid of the odor: I wrapped the cheese in alu sheet and conceiled it inside a drawer and forgot it for a couple of months...when it was evident that something was going on :D we searched for the cause...and found a beautiful camembert-like cheese. :lickface:

Next time I received country cheese, confident about my newly acquired cheese producing skills, I repeated the treatment and ended with...a good and tasty casu marzu :D

Experiment, guys! Just like you do for audio...

Alpage merely means it's from mountain grazed, both French and Swiss side. There's also a Swiss cheese brand called d'Alpage, bit of a stinker. In France, Beaufort/Comté types and Emmentaler are dirt cheap, btw. But the Swiss still have the lead, at a cost)

Seems to be quite a bit of confusion across the web. Formaggio carries a farmhouse Swiss one (only three wheels this year) noting slight funkiness. They even say you can use it in your fondu, but at $35/lb that seems a bit much.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
That's about what we paid for it. Like I said, ouch. I wish it hadn't been so good...

This is when food is like crack! (not that I would know...:D)

This weekend for my daughter's graduation party, I threw some tomatoes and peppers on the oak fire and the wife whipped up some salsa for our guests (about 50) using the roasted veggies. We must have gone through a few gallons of the stuff. They put it on just about everything they could, excluding the cake. wow

Ouch, for that kind of money, one would expect a Gruyère with a letter of recommendation.

(Huron ave, nice shop, watched the video)

The clientele can be quite amusing, yankees (the New England type) can be very frugal, (plenty of sensible shoes, ill fitting home made sweaters, and frumpy floor length dresses) but buy white truffles in season at $275/oz.

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I think I'm going to buy a smoker. I've been using a weber charcoal grill, and I'd think I'd get better results with a vertical smoker.

Anyone smoke ribs here?

In Texas, you just have to buy a dedicated smoker. I also have a Weber that I've used to smoke some meats, including ribs, but that could get me in trouble with the local BBQ authorities here, so I'm looking at adding a true smoker soon. ;)

What wood do you use? In these parts, we use post oak.