The Drek builder's thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Naah Magura.. your'e all wrong ... I cannot put much time in diyaudio at moment, due to other thing's to doo, you're right about that, but main reason i diden't put the DREK :D together and take a listning, is due heat-problems with my PSU ... actually i am at moment about to build a new dual one :D ... So please bare with me, and have a nice wecation all in here btw...

Jesper.

Well it's now time for finalally testing the DREK:D ... I finally got the time to do assambly of my new PSU for this heatmonster ;)

I set it up today, along with some cheat whoofer's just to make sure, that everything was okay... letting the drek cook for 3~4hour's, too see how stable it is, regarding the adjustments!

It's all look very promishing, but i had a hard time, finding the right adjustment's for it through. I set the current through R24 to ~3.25vdc and the adjustment's over the inductor's for 1.1vdc ... After a couble of hour's its completly stable at theese voltage's. I had some problems in past with some oscillation... but it's looks like it gone now, with theese adjustment.

If you look at the picture's, you might think, that heatsinking is ''overkill'' -- but not at all ... this pre .. is a heatmonster .. allmost like a poweramp, but if the sound is interessting... i guess it dosen't matter. I will hear tomorrow. --- I am looking forward to it :)

I had done some swapping of in/out (feedback i think) resistor, and found that 200/10K ohm, was the best combination for me, giving me 20x gain (No comment here please Zenmod :D :D) ... hehe, actually my Drek is easier to adjust with the higher gainsetting. !!!

I put in 1v sine and get 20v out !!! pretty cool right! ???

Jesper.

Attachments

• drek1.jpg
    drek1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 288
Yep ... I finally got time to settle down and have a hear !

First off, i would like to tell, that i have a small problem with one channel, with some hum... otherwise it seem's that everything is fine regarding heat etc... now. I do through think, that i will use, slightly bigger heatsink's on the psu, when i will make the chassis.

The Drek is a somhow different pre, and it seem's that i still have a long way before it can be all finished up. I spent a lot of time adjusting, and as i wrote earlier, it might be the right adjustments for me, where it is now... I still would like to hear, how it sound's with two completly working channel's, so i guess my next goal is to figure out, where that humming appears in one channel.

The sound is ... also what i think special in this pre... and if i start from the bottom, the Bass is very controlled, in a way i really noticed right away, when Drek was fired up... It look's like it does a very good job here.
Rest of the stuff, i usually listen to, sound more or like, the same as my BoSoZ i think...
But again, it's not really comparable before i get rid, of the last problem.

I think, that this pre, is worth the efford to use a lot of hours tweaking, adjusting etc...

Jesper.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.