The diyAudio Firstwatt F6

Question about R1 and R2 temperature

I started my F6 over the weekend and both channels seem to be working fine. I set the bias measuring 0.5V across R2 and the offset at the speakers terminals below 10 mV. It played music for a couple of hours until I decided to turn it off to install the face plate and cover. While disconnecting the probes from R2 I noticed it was really hot. I turned it on again and measured the temperature after 30 minutes. It was 134˚ F. Am I overlooking something?

I always use a wooden coffee stirrer as spacer when soldering power resistors. That way their bodies don't touch the PCB and the air can circulate around it.
Reviewing the ERX series datasheet, it seems as if my concern is unfounded. The graphs show expected temperature range for the 3S up to about 180˚ C!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, it's encouraging, after reading posts about counterfeits. I ordered matched (4) nn mosfets, and 2 pairs of matched jfets for an f6, but I did not specify ldss or curved (ignorance). I am hoping they will restock the transformers for the f6 kit, but I won't wait too long, as I feel I am late to the party, and wouldn't want to miss out on the boards. The jensen site shows the transformers with no (not that I saw) minimum.

Thanks for the reply, it's encouraging, after reading posts about counterfeits. I ordered matched (4) nn mosfets, and 2 pairs of matched jfets for an f6, but I did not specify ldss or curved (ignorance). I am hoping they will restock the transformers for the f6 kit, but I won't wait too long, as I feel I am late to the party, and wouldn't want to miss out on the boards. The jensen site shows the transformers with no (not that I saw) minimum.

I would suggest you get back to Calvin ASAP and specify IDSS..... they are not the same as curve matching.....

Starting PCB redesign.

first schematics, waiting for comments...

Replacement for Jensen, Edcor?

JP

Output mosfets need to be symmetrically placed about the midline of ums pcb to account for split heatsinks.
Second add option for trimpots across source resistors to tweak distortion.
Option of cascode on input to allow turboing amp or using Idss parts greater than 8mA.