The diyAudio.com preamp project!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
this thread is now officially dead

I guess you can flog a dead horse or a dead camel........:confused:

Attachments

• sod.gif
    sod.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 1,105
Account Disabled
Joined 2002
Good idea, but...

Well, I made it to page 3, and I already have a headache! I have found that unless you have a group of people who agree on the goal, you will always end up with a compromised product. Too many cooks in this kitchen for me, but good luck! It's a good idea.
Dorkus, you had better have wisdom with regard to whose ideas you consider. This board is full of BS, and a-holes- HH, Ren, Jocko, they all make me tired of being here, so I often stay away these days.

My interpretation- 6 channels, Massive power supply with seperate (active) regulators per channel, minimalist gain circuitry, balanced/unbalanced input/output (I think it would be cool to run xlr cables to self-powered home theater speakers), tone controls with bypass (they are needed sometimes), µcontrolled relay attenuators, < 600 ohms output impedance, easy to use microprocessor-based controls, elegant and simple faceplate, possibly a remote control.

In fact, this is what I was working on before this all started. Should be interesting to see all the variations that come out of this discussion. Good luck.
Steve

dorkus said:

how do you make your PCBs??? i've tried toner transfer with mixed results, it is a pain. do you use standard positive photo-resist? i guess you have a pretty nice setup...

I make a laser print onto a transparent foil for use with uv-light and a posetive photoresist. The time has to be perfect not to get over or underexposed.

The laserprint has to be as dense (black) as possible! If not you result is going to be bad. Also the print side has to be at side which are near to the Photoresist.. If not the light will make the traces thinner!!

Use preheated etch tank with movement in the tank ... By moving the PCB or use an airpump to get boobles flowing across the surface of the PCB.

It is really nothing special!

Sonny

it's going well i think. discussion sort of stopped pending my prototyping some circuits, and i ordered a bunch of JFETs to play around with, but i got extremely busy at work and haven't had a chance to do anything yet. i've got more time now so i'm going to order off the last of my prototyping parts and start building some circuits, starting with the borbely SE design. should be fun...

maximum dynamic range of DACs increased

Hi
My first post, in case anyone is interested:

"Audio D/A Converter from TI Offers Industry's Highest Dynamic Range for High-End Audio Equipment

Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN) announced today a new Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC) that offers the industry's highest dynamic range for high-end audio equipment.

The PCM1792 utilizes TI's proprietary Advanced
Segment technology to achieve a maximum dynamic range of 132 decibels (dB) (mono mode), surpassing the standard 120-123dB performance provided by conventional Delta-Sigma
DACs. This level of dynamic range enables audio
manufacturers to reproduce sound much closer to the original recording source.
http://www.ti.com/sc/docs/newsletter/news/sc02287.htm"

The dynamic range of standard 5V or 3.3V parts is very well cooled. The 132 dB number comes at
9.0 Vrms.

But feed a 9Vrms output into most preamps and they don't like it.

Will this project preamp be able to accomodate this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.