The death of the home stereo system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
About FM.... forgotten pretty much.... However, I use it as background during the day and still some nice programming going on... because music is still an interest.. even for FM listeners. I use XM and other new wireless also. So I can listen all day .. then when I want to hear something in particular, like a favotite song, I go to the other sources.... internet HD downloads etc.

I recently picked up a few FM tuners to put around the place here... such as the garage where I do several things - including playing pool. The era of super FM tuners are in the past but you can get them for excellent prices on e-bay, for example.

-Richard Marsh

I did the same. Picked up two Kenwood 880D's and a Techniques. I found a gentleman in NC ( The Analog Store of all names) who still knows how to do a proper alignment. They all beat my ST-7 Nak. I wake up to FM. FM in the car. Fios for background when i get home. All the WEB stuff is too much of as pain. I want to just turn it on. not wake it up, log in, find a station, set a genre......

HDFM seems to be gone. Can't buy a tuner any more. I suspect XM forced the issue in car radios so it died. SACD is all but gone. Priced themselves out of the market. I do hear rumors of a real effort for BD music. No special $1000 players. That might make it.

Perhaps one day sound quality of such systems would be acceptable, but it has a long way to go. No matter how good technology gets, a shorter signal path and a dedicated power supply would always be superior as components are the same and the mass market stuff is always of lower quality. I doubt this would be forgone, people still use turntables today and there is a reason why.

Agreed . Personally ,I have no problem with people eating junk food and listening to junk music on junk systems. It's always their problem not mine. Too bad that vinyl got in vogue recently . Now, I have to compete with vampire movie watchers who suddenly got the urge to try another drug... to appear cool.

Actually it's best quality source available today. Supremely musical, but you have to have decent tuner and antenna. Far better than SACD

Please explain when 99.9% of the FM broadcast comes off a CD-stored on music servers and served out of a computer mixed with the local adds and the "local" DJ sitting in an office pretending to be local for 10 or more stations. Much of it is far worse as the recordings are old. We still get a lot of old records played here. Unfortunately, musicality and recording quality are often inversely proportional.

Is that high quality you speak of just the DJ at the mic?

(WETA on in the background)

Please explain when 99.9% of the FM broadcast comes off a CD-stored on music servers and served out of a computer mixed with the local adds and the "local" DJ sitting in an office pretending to be local for 10 or more stations....

(WETA on in the background)

Coming back to this, I moved to the hillbilly Southern US (Durham, NC) and the classical station here, bless their hearts, plays Top 40 Classical and the tracks all sound like medium-res mp3s.

And don't even start about non-classical FM with all that high-frequency garbage in their audio. Including the talk stations, which should never be on FM anyway.

Dammit.

I listen only to one 98.7 WFMT classical & Jazz/folk radio with life broadcasts here in Chicagoland. Quality is really OK . Surely , they play stored music from servers but FM conversion changes something in the way the music sounds to me. Also they don't nearly process the signal like commercial station with their loudness wars.Its enough to compare the speakers (dJ's) styles and voice's tonality, microphone setups , it's just a world of difference . Surely once you enter Missouri and further south your're stuck with hillbillies and Jesus lovers ...

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    632.3 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Bama - if you mean WCPE, then yes, I think it's all MP3. OK in the car, not so great at home. But WUNC dropped music long ago for just more blah, blah, blah. They do classical on the digital side, but it's compressed, of course.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
You know,

I'm just sitting here listening to the stereo system..

And a thought just crossed my mind, I haven't got the room but..

I would love to make a Juke box..:D

A real fancy cabinet with a flat screen in the middle linked to a key pad.
A huge hard drive and a 400 watt tube amp with internal speaker each side and extensions flashing lights and everything..
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Maybe with an auto changer just for fun..:D

Regards
M. Gregg

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Not a bad article, on the whole. I think convenience has always won out over quality as that is simply the priority of most people.

The same "victory of convenience" has reduced quality in nearly every aspect of our lives. Just look at what the masses call "food" these days.

Quality takes time, care, effort...

Lack of quality results in dis-satisfaction, dis-ease...

Lack of quality is back-filled with quantity, via convenience. Quantity leads to repeated and inevitable dis-satisfaction, dis-ease.

This applies universally; appliances, electronics, media/information, clothing, food, politics, conversation, friendship, sex ....

You know,

I'm just sitting here listening to the stereo system..

And a thought just crossed my mind, I haven't got the room but..

I would love to make a Juke box..:D

A real fancy cabinet with a flat screen in the middle linked to a key pad.
A huge hard drive and a 400 watt tube amp with internal speaker each side and extensions flashing lights and everything..
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Maybe with an auto changer just for fun..:D

Regards
M. Gregg

Good Jukbox is not to be underestimated . Warm, friendly atmosphere among selection of fine bottles and preferably professional women and low seductive tunes ...I grabbed 1959 Wurlitzer from an old technician but left it behind when I had to move.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.