The Current Maximum Bang For Your Buck Driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
May I add the Madison drivers as a possible candidate. The Executioner X21 21" drivers cost (last time I checked) $175 each. For moving air (a 21" driver with 1.5" peak-to-peak will move quite a bit of air) these are surely up there with the best. Add some cast baskets etc, and they are a good value proposition. :D

Enjoy,
Deon

This isnt a good comparison.

18" RE SX $320 shipped

122dB anecho acording to WinISD with 3000w....SX can easily handle 3000w for burps... but who burps w/ a sealed enclsoure
:whazzat:

and SQ isnt all that bad...

if we go ported IA DP 15...3000w for a burp...i know a guy doing 149.7 with 3000w after impeadance rise in an extended cab truck...

I second the concern that this thread is limited to sealed boxes only. The only sealed subwoofers I have heard, which I would use, are servo-based to keep distortion down low, and that is at medium cost.

The subwoofers I would use that make the quality cut are servo-based sealed subs, open baffle, infinite baffle and horns. The servo based subwoofers are expensive by virtue of the electronics needed for the servo (although I think Rythmic makes a reasonably priced one), and the open and infinite baffle subs needs lots of cone area (and really should have both moderate Qts and low Fs to get down low) which means lots of drivers or quality drivers with big x-max.

This leaves horns. Bill Fitzmaurice makes a very cheap horn called the autotuba which can get down flat to 40 hz and you can build it yourself using this driver:

http://mcm.newark.com/NewarkWebCommerce/mcm/en_US/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=55-2421&N=4

I believe that this driver sell for around $50 bucks or so and recently it is on sale for much less, then you would have to just build a horn cabinet. This will give you the most bang for the buck. The bigger drivers being considered for a sealed cabinet would maybe be as cheap, but nowhere near the quality of this horn.

Retsel

You can also put a Ascendant Audio Avalanche 18 in a horn and get a nice performance/price ratio.

Since we are in the subwoofer forum, we can also say that this horn is not a real subwoofer, so there's limits as what you can do with a cheap horn and a cheap driver.

Simon, I agree that I want bass below 40 hz (below 20 hz for me, actually). But I was merely responding to the poster who said the criteria was to have bass at 40 hz.

The Ascendent audio 18 inch drivers are not cheap (even if you picked one or two up during the recent sale), although they have a very good reputation. I bought a pair and I will first try them in an open baffle (dipole) arrangement. I am building a W baffle (Phoenix style) for them now. When I get my audio room built, I may try them in an infinite baffle enclosure as I have a crawlspace under my house.

Retsel

Hi Exipnos,

funny you should ask today, since I had largely forgotten this thread. It just so happens that I was fiddling with the Pyles earlier tonight! Strange coincidence. Unfortunately I still can't comment about the overall SQ, since my "listening" has largely been test tones and measurements, etc. The nearfield measurements show a very smooth and extended response. Not bad at all for $37! When checking for vent noise I drove the unbaffled driver (holding it in my hand, 20hz tone) with my Audiosource Amp One test amp (80/ch rms into 8ohm) and it absorbed the full output without distress. I was actually suprised that there was no noticeable noise with the (rear) vent being relatively small. Keep in mind it is also vented around the spider and below the cap. I'm still quite skeptical about the xmax rating, but so far so good. Also keep in mind that 2 of these are still less than 1 Dayton! Thats a driver (the Quatro 15) I have also looked at to use in an upcoming project. The Dayton is well suited for what I am going to need. Not a true sub project . More woofer than sub. I'm doing more work with the Pyle this weekend. I'll try to post an update with pics. It might not be what you expect however.

Cheers,

AJ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.