• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The Critical Ear

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My wife doesn't understand my need for another amplifier when I have 7 already and can only listen to 1 (or 2) at a time. I do not understand her need for 15 pairs of shoes when she can only wear one at a time, or why she puts 5 pillows on the bed for show, and removes them for sleeping.

A successful marriage is when you both just agree to call it a draw, and not try to understand these things. It is also the reason to get amp number 8 finished while she is still out of town!

I wouldn't call myself a "critical listener", but I do listen "intently" and I need a minimum level of realism to get lost in the music.
My wife, on the other hand is usually quite happy to have music in the background... a soundtrack to life as it were. I'd say that most of the people I know fall into this category.

7/10

Re: Re: The Critical Ear

SY said:

Have you entertained the possibility that she's right and you're wrong?

She likes gothic rock at 'rock concert' style volumes... I like classical and acoustic guitar are normal listening room volumes...

The possibility of her being right is there, albeit very low...

When I changed the tubes, I could hear the skin of fingers flicking off the guitar strings and a few background instruments I have never heard in buena vista social club and rodrigo y gabriella...

Now I have an audio system that rivals my Sennheiser HD-590s... Yippie! :nod:

I'm talking about Gabriela the guitarist. On the DVD as she helps explain the different ways they play, and the rhythms they use, she says eff'n several times. Do you have the original production set of CD and DVD? I like their music, and I'm no prude. This is just something I noticed and found it odd they would put that on the DVD.

BTW, Gabie's hot!!!

Off Topic

Fauxpas, thanks so much for that link, they are excellent.

As for the effing and blinding, I couldn't give a damn*; in fact I have often reflected on the double standards practised on forums.

I once even saw this in a post: s*x!!

Now that is pathetic!

7N7

*Edit: should that be d**n?!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
tubelab.com said:
My wife doesn't understand my need for another amplifier when I have 7 already and can only listen to 1 (or 2) at a time. I do not understand her need for 15 pairs of shoes when she can only wear one at a time, or why she puts 5 pillows on the bed for show, and removes them for sleeping.

A successful marriage is when you both just agree to call it a draw, and not try to understand these things. It is also the reason to get amp number 8 finished while she is still out of town!

I see some parallels to my situation, particularly in the context of successful marriage. :D My wife is amused by the whole thing, and actually in many instances can hear the difference, but it is not important to her. She loves music, but in the sense that it provides auditory wall paper for some other activity. Cooking and cleaning mainly when she's home, and skating, dancing or karaoke when we're out for the evening.

I am a critical listener when in design/evaluation mode, but once done just try to focus more on the music than the shortcomings of my system. (And at this point probably my ears as well.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.