The CHR Array

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Combing is real, you will need to boost the high end.

Which is why you will see in the pdf:

Page 1:
'7/ some EQ is likely necessary'

Page 6:
Variety of power-tapering suggestions for a 3 driver module. The same principles can be taken & applied as a basis for power tapering OA modules in a stacked array

Page 7:
Entire page dedicated to (and entitled) 'Equalization'. Key passage:
'With the steady rise of computer audio and cheaply available DSP, nearfield line array projects based upon small wideband drive units have recently become a much more practical proposition than was the case only a few years ago. With modern developments in electronics and software, it is possible to tailor system response to previously unimaginable degree, and this modular array system has been created primarily with such use in mind.' The page contains 13 references to array papers & articles, including several links.

Page 8:
'Equalization 2'
Page with example of a passive high-pass shelving filter + LF impedance flattening network assuming an 18 driver array

The CHR array was created at the request of Mark Fenlon when the 3rd generation CHR70 was released. Since it is a modular design rather than a fixed single system, it was not possible for Dave and I to create an active EQ / DSP setup for every option, even if we had the time and funds to do so. It was assumed from the outset that this was where the 'Y' part in 'DIY' would come into play and that people would use whatever their preferred EQ approach might be, and tailor it to suit whatever version they built & whatever their individual requirements were from that.

Is there a “try’d and tru design” i can follow to get my feet wet. I have vaulted ceilings, my theater is treated nicely with absorbers diffusers and super chunk corner traps, i love movies, and movies were the reason for the room in the first place, but music is probably 60% of room use now

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.