The Central Sound DIY Audio Meet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dynaco amps and big FE167E transmission lines.

Attachments

• bottlehead2sm.jpg
    bottlehead2sm.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 269
These were interesting. Doc Bottlehead wanted to put together an inexpensive "full-range" speaker system that could be driven with a 5 watt/ch amplifier. He came up with Selenium slot tweeters, Eminence woofers, and some cheap powered subs crossed in at 120Hz. The woofers have two "dots" of felt and the tweeters were supposed to have felt around the slots but his dog ate them (how old is that excuse?). The cabinets are from Parts Express. He said the speaker system could be built for about $500-$600 dollars. The plans will be published on the Bottlehead website in the near future.

Attachments

• docbottleheadsm.jpg
    docbottleheadsm.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 268
Thanks Tim for the pictures!

You always come through on these meets and I'd like to thank you for your efforts. I'll try to put some names with the various speaker projects shown, although I'm just about the worst person for remembering names.

1. Joe's Balls?... I think I'll let that one go without comment other than they're unique and are imaging champs. What a great concept :D

2. The big FE 167E transmission Lines were by Seven-Tenth's (Doug). They were in the small room and needed more space in my estimation. They sounded pretty nice, but they really should have been in the big room. Doug is new to all this, but he's really off to a great start. I expect that we'll be seeing more of Doug (and his son) in the future. Nice job.

3. The Extremis/Seas TMM speakers were by DIY Veteran Chad Kirby and sounded very good. Chad's been busy the last couple of years attending school, so it was nice to see him again.
FWIW, I can't remember a single bad design that Chad's ever built, an obvious character flaw in a DIYer;)

4. The Fe 108E Sigma's in the Frugal Horns were by Doug Nash. Doug does beautiful woodworking and these were no exception. Sounding great and looking great, somehow it doesn't seem right. Maybe I'll have to get together with Doug and initiate him into the Bondo Mystery Cult:D

5. The Purple Mini-Watt Puppies are by... who else, but John Nail. John wasn't quite done polishing the paint on these, but I'm always astounded by the finishes he applys to his speakers. John mentioned that he used the last of his purple paint on these, so I expect that we'll see some other wild shade in the future. Did I mention that the "Purple Puppies" also sounded very good?

6. The pictures of Lew's amps really don't do justice to them. The Maple bases were flawless and matched his Lowther speaker's. Anyone that tells you that Lowther's can't do bass or shout or... Well, they just haven't heard Lew's speakers. These are the "Best" Lowther speakers I've ever heard, and I've heard a fair number of them over the years. These actually fulfill the promise that Lowther has dangled in front of us all these years, but seldom has been realized, The nicest woodwork of the whole meet, they could be praised as sumptuous eye-candy, exceeded only by their sound. Go to www.vivaldiaudio.com to see some pictures of these.

7. The Voigt pipes were also nice, with excellent woodworking and finish. Along with Doug's BIB speakers they needed the space of the big room to sound their best. I'm sorry, but I can't remember who brought these, perhaps someone could help out.

Hopefully there will be more pictures, I'm going to have to buy a camera one of these days (and learn how to use it:^).
I've got to go for now, but I'll be back later.

Best Regards,
TerryO

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Timn8ter said:
FE108E Sigma Frugelhorns with their own "corner" behind them to improve bass response and negate the need to set them in the corners of a room. Beautiful work.

Who's FHs? (Edit: thanx for pre-coging this question Terry :))

The deflector is one of the optional features (this is a level 3 build -- looks fantastic)... Here is a picture of ones with add-on corners (still not as effective as real corners). The deflector does increase the mouth size... somewhere in the docs there is a fairly accurate estimate

10.jpg

dave

planet10 said:

Who's FHs? (Edit: thanx for pre-coging this question Terry :))

The deflector is one of the optional features (this is a level 3 build -- looks fantastic)... Here is a picture of ones with add-on corners (still not as effective as real corners). The deflector does increase the mouth size... somewhere in the docs there is a fairly accurate estimate

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

dave

Dave,

Is that a "Shun Mook" Acoustic Conditioning Beer Bottle on the table in your picture?

One other thing, on the far right side of the picture, is that Eric's ear?

Best Regards,
TerryO

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
TerryO said:
Is that a "Shun Mook" Acoustic Conditioning Beer Bottle on the table in your picture?

I'm sure that was not the intention.

One other thing, on the far right side of the picture, is that Eric's ear?

Yes. This pic is from the 2006 event, as anyone who attended the 2007 event will know, these fake corners are now much more colourful.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.