The car thread

Ok, that’s a different part number than I show for those, I wonder what the flow rate is?
I have 192cc for the 3.0L, and 250cc for the 3.4L...
Have you seen the iridium plugs lately? They are a lot more reasonable nowadays.
I agree that a rebuild would pretty over the top.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Ok, that’s a different part number than I show for those, I wonder what the flow rate is?
I have 192cc for the 3.0L, and 250cc for the 3.4L...

According to specs online they are approx 240cc.

First pic on this page: Injector flow rates and part numbers (3VZ, 1MZ)

Have you seen the iridium plugs lately? They are a lot more reasonable nowadays.
I agree that a rebuild would pretty over the top.
Yep, I will probably put some Denso TT plugs in it in maybe once I've done 5,000km-10,000km on it. I would like to see how it drives a bit more first.

Though they were recently replaced with NGK's, so I have tons of life left on those still.

I'll probably start focusing on repairing the air conditioning next though once its back on the road, that is after I've completed the audio installation.

#1, Get it running again
#2, Finish the audio installation
#3, Fix the aircon
#4, Install an inverter and a laptop or dvd player.
#5, Fix the springs and suspension.

Hopefully I can get it all done by the end of the year.

Last edited:
Must be a special tune for Australian fuel, North America probably gets a watered down tune...

Don’t neglect the seals underneath them, to the intake manifold, usually helps to fix intermittent vacuum leaks I have noticed. Those are leaks I never knew I had until I had replaced the little rubber seals. I tried to get Toyota ones, thinking they are a bit better than found in neighborhood car parts stores, but they were the same part, and cost more at Toyota.

Should be running pretty good there soon it sounds like!

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
But but I thought the USA was the best country in the world? :confused:

Yeah, we did get the 3VZ-FE in a 200HP trim, mostly as a result of timing and AFM cog adjustment I believe, Toyota used to have it far too rich and the timing off for some reason in the early 3VZ-FE camry's from '93-95, though the 200HP output that was at the end of the VCV10 widebody camry's life, so models 95-97, and I would rarely ever use that power as its all up in the top part of the band and we have plenty of street lights here where I am.

I'm just going off stuff that I've read online anyway, I would have to look back through the australian library archive to see if any of it was actually true or not. I had a look at some old newspaper articles that I had found as references in the Wikipedia article on this car the other night, kind of interesting reading.

Apparently by pulling the heads off and getting the heads port and polished I can get 240HP out of this engine, I might do that someday but I would be tempted to also do a rebuild at the same time.

So it is always 1-2-3rd gear for a while then into 4th and then I drive past a cop pointing a speedo gun at me so you never get to use that power around here anyway unless you use a big V8 or I6.

And I'm not one to be dumping an automatic into Drive off at the lights, its too stressful on the transmission, even with manual transmissions.

Anyway rant over. I received the aftermarket ho-mai-yum-cha fuel injectors and they are marked on the side as 23209-62030 which was the exact same part number that Toyota suggested to me when I gave them my VIN number, despite my car having 23250-62030, they are probably, 100% likely the exact same part.

However, the "refurbished" fuel injectors that I received have most of the metal pintle caps misaligned, which was disappointing and it means that I cannot use them, one of the fuel injectors also had one of the O rings missing.

So I'm going to keep them in the spare parts bin and keep ahold of them and never use them until such time as I'm desperate enough to want to be using these things in my car and I'm going to get the original pulled fuel injectors properly cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner that I'm going to buy off ebay for $30 and I'll put my own new o-rings onto them.

I'll mock up some kind of system where I can fire the fuel injectors when they are in the ultrasonic cleaner bath, 2 at once or depending on how many I can fit in a small 455mL ultrasonic cleaner.

Call me snobbish if you want but I believe my pintle caps should be aligned properly and fire the fuel into the cylinder and past the valves instead of on the side of the intake wall. If they can't align a pintle cap with the body of the injector then what else have they mucked up.

On one injector they also appear to have drilled the holes a bit bigger? not sure what is going on there.

Attachments

• 004-diyaudio.jpg
    004-diyaudio.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
I don't have very high regards for "rebuilt" components myself, learned when I was just 18 years old to avoid them, and instead to search out functioning, used oem components instead.
My last experience with rebuilt parts were some Toyota Supra 4 piston brake calipers, upon inspection, it was found that the pistons had dents that would have caused leaks...

When researching car modifications, often the search ends with an Aussie mechanic/tinkerer and what they have come up with. Seems like over here that people just copy each other more.

Polishing is a very effective way to increase power and efficiency across the board, had done that to a Soarer 4.0 V8, had to increase the fuel pressure to get the system to go back to normal operation again. The power increase was around 40 on that engine, based on the cars I would regularily run with on the hiway.

Yes it is.
Extrude hone isn't the state of the art however.

The only thing I did to my stock fe Toyota heads was to reduce the bullnose from the intake divider to reduce turbulence. The Porsche 911s, and M3s were dissapointed on a few occasions.
The bullnose is an artifact of the limitations of production casting process'.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Put one of the Rockville RVL69W's into the rear parcel shelf.

It was very easy, once I figured out what I was going to do all I had to do was get a pair of large blunt nose pliers and bend the sheet metal of the rear parcel shelf out of the way of the basket of the speakers, I was thinking that I had to cut the metal up but that isn't the case at all. All you have to do is bend it out of the way.

I then used silicone to seal the speaker basket up against the metal frame. I then used some 10Gx19mm sheet metal screws to securely mount the speaker to the chassis of the car. They ain't going anywhere.

Attachments

• 008-diyaudio.jpg
    008-diyaudio.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 199
  • 009-diyaudio.jpg
    009-diyaudio.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 194
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Hi,

Generally, I like to boost HP/TRQ on engines with either turbo, supercharger or Nitrous. 6 or V8's.

Anyone doing something like that, also? I have a lot of experience in that area.

Right now I have a Caddy CTS-V with 640HP stock. Thinking of doing a pulley change for s few more psi boost and get to 700HP.

THx-RNMarsh

My civic has a totally stock motor. 200hp It surprises many people on the road course. You don't have to speed up if you don't slow down. I have had the opportunity to drive a near 500hp subaru as well as a new 1LE camaro 650 hp at the track and yes more power does add to the fun.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I've bought a few things to get my car buttoned back up and on the road:
1x Floureon ultrasonic cleaner 400mL for cleaning my fuel injectors
1x fuel injector service kit for my injectors: FUEL INJECTOR SERVICE KIT FITS TOYOTA CAMRY VCV10 3VZFE 3.0L 6 91-96 INJECTORS | eBay
1x EAGLE IGNITION LEADS - for Toyota Vienta 3.0L V6 (3VZ-FE engine) VCV10R | eBay

I've been cleaning the engine bay with engine and bilge degreaser which has unfortunately left some corrosion but its not difficult at all to remove it with a wire brush which I'll be getting onto tomorrow.

I've also been working on the dash and replacing the bulbs (again) with newer different designed (Cob style this time) T5 and T10 LED globes. I'm still waiting on the T5's to arrive.

I've also been covering the rear parcel shelf with strips of Dynamat xtreme, for what its worth I want to be able to reduce the sound coming out of the boot and encroaching into the cabin as much as possible so that I can enjoy my music more. Also the strut towers are both on the left and right sides which means they could potentially add a lot of road noise into the cabin if I don't cover them.

I have already covered the C pillars near the rear doors with dynamat aswell just in case road noise decides to echo up through that chamber and into the cabin.

Pictures say a thousand words so I've attached a couple, while I wait for the ultrasonic cleaner and fuel injector service kit to arrive I've got the car in a thousand parts strewn all over the place.

Next payday I'll go over to Toyota and buy a genuine distributor cap and rotor to go onto the distributor.

Attachments

• 018-diyaudio.jpg
    018-diyaudio.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 017-diyaudio.jpg
    017-diyaudio.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 016-diyaudio.jpg
    016-diyaudio.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 53
  • 015-diyaudio.jpg
    015-diyaudio.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 014-diyaudio.jpg
    014-diyaudio.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 83
  • 013-diyaudio.jpg
    013-diyaudio.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 012-diyaudio.jpg
    012-diyaudio.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 011-diyaudio.jpg
    011-diyaudio.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 019-diyaudio.jpg
    019-diyaudio.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 90
That’s quite a project, fun in the sun too. I recall doing some work on a truck that shared the same 3.0 v6, and it responded well to exhaust, as well as an improved air of/intake.

I haven’t spent much time on a track, but it’s fun for sure. Have always been a fan of the smaller cars, are so much better in the corners, and if done right, don’t have to give up much on the straightaway. A perfect car to me would be a lotus 23 with a pumped up Alfa 2.0, or something lighter, air-cooled maybe.
It is always cool see a more pedestrian auto cleaning up a bunch of the cars that are marketed towards “performance”. A buddy had a Ford Contour and went to the track days where he always came out ahead of the Mustangs...

I’ve never played around with pressurized motors, have gone towards higher revving engines.
Right now, my Uncle has assembled a smallblock that will turn 9,000, sounds incredible.

Don’t forget to sound deaden the doors as well, are closer to your ears...

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
That’s quite a project, fun in the sun too. I recall doing some work on a truck that shared the same 3.0 v6, and it responded well to exhaust, as well as an improved air of/intake.

Yeah apparently a better flowing y-pipe improves these engines a little bit aside from the aforementioned port and polish.

Have always been a fan of the smaller cars, are so much better in the corners, and if done right, don’t have to give up much on the straightaway.
I agree, the car that I have now is a very nice small car that is a nice change from the very large falcons that I'm used to driving. The falcons since the mid-90s (EA was the first wide car) have gone on an eating binge.

Its nice driving small cars around the streets locally, you don't have to slow down when a car goes past you just pull over a bit more and let them pass. The turning circle is also a lot better and its nice having a nimble feeling car that doesn't take much throttle to get it moving. Increased torque at a low enough RPM as possible is what does that, the old XF Falcon I used to have had 350nM of torque straight off at idle, a far cry from the 250nm that my current 3VZ-FE has but its a lot better than what a 4 banger (3S-GE & 5S-FE) will put out.

It is always cool see a more pedestrian auto cleaning up a bunch of the cars that are marketed towards “performance”. A buddy had a Ford Contour and went to the track days where he always came out ahead of the Mustangs...
There is a modern mustang that likes to floor it when he gets onto the highway 30 minutes south from here, I would like to someday catch up to that but I know I won't. Those are 600 hp.
I’ve never played around with pressurized motors, have gone towards higher revving engines.
Right now, my Uncle has assembled a smallblock that will turn 9,000, sounds incredible.

Don’t forget to sound deaden the doors as well, are closer to your ears...
I will be sound deadening the doors and also the boot.

I'm not convinced that turbocharging will do any good with the 3VZ-FE. Unlike larger inline 6 engines such as the Ford Falcon E series and Barra engines simply adding boost doesn't add much if at all power to a 3VZ-FE engine, you will get at most 270hp with 380-400nM of torque with a whole lot of work (including an ECM change) and either a lowering of the compression ratio to 8.5:1 or an increase to using 98 RON fuel to reduce the chances of knock. Stock CR for the 3VZ-FE is 9.6:1, very high for a turbocharged engine.

So I would have to drop the CR to 8.5:1 or thereabouts and then I'm not really improving things, just merely throwing money away.

There is also the other fact that a 400 HP turbocharged engine with 400nM of torque available will only reduce the 0-100km/h time from 7.0 seconds down to 6.0 seconds. Not particularly useful in this day and age of tesla roadsters which will do a 0-60 all night long in under 1.9 seconds.

YouTube

If you want to actually improve a car nowdays instead of simply throw money away you would be best off building your own hybrid using forklift truck motors and either a supercap bank or batteries.

That is what I would do, I would put an open diff in the rear and hide the electric forklift motor (& batteries) up underneath the rear parcel shelf in the boot of most modern FWD cars.

Last edited:
I like the electric powered idea, saw a couple years ago that would burn rubber like crazy. One was a ‘32 Ford, the other was a sleeper Taurus. Nice that you can use the batteries to establish the cg of the car too!

The boosted engines are great if they were offered that way, otherwise it’s just a huge engineering project. A street driven, Supra turbo that did the quarter mile here in a tick under 9 seconds was cool to watch...