The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Quan-Tech was used extensively to match the gain, IDss/Vgs and noise characteristics of Linear Sys parts used in the BAF demo amp. Some years ago I worked with Mr. Stansbury to refine a vacuum tube adaptor for the 5173 to also measure equivalent input noise of small signal triodes. The WattSuckingFireball4 can be operated without feedback and have only the gain shift over temperature. Distortion and IM are about the same over the audio passband of 20-20K. Linearity was a combination of carefully matched parts, including resistors and caps, but primarily established by the balanced signal path Gm and successive reverse impedance isolation from stage to stage by strict differential device matching, optimized bias centering, and massive differences in source to load impedance.
The Tek 570 is my best tool for matching up transfer functions of various triodes used in tube preamps designed here. Another tool that has provided a great amount of data is the General Radio 561-D Vacuum Tube bridge designed by Tuttle which produces remarkably accurate Gm, Rp, and mu numbers for all the operating bias points of a thermionic triode or J-Fet at various audio frequencies.

K-wood

Hello Roadbagger,
and welcome to the forum. It is great to have such a knowledgeable guys like yourself with us. I was so happy to see you guys at the show. Particularly - thank you for the custom made t shirts - Linear Systems - Burning Amp Festival.

Vladimir

Roadbagger, thanks for the explanation. I must be nice to have all those nice equipment at your finger tips.

Yeah the other goodies from Linear were quite nice. My wife actually wanted one when I showed her the T-shirt -- and she has nothing to do with audio!

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Can you tell us a bit more about the way your amp operates?

Hey guys, I want this amp to be well documented in one place. I'm thinkin' that the thread created especially for the amp might be a good place!:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/154070-watt-sucking-fireball-series.html

I have moved the posts specifically about the amp there. I have also made the thread "sticky" so it remains at the top of the Solid State forum. Of course continued posting would do the same thing into the future- see you there..

Mark

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Which brings me to another point - the kind of cross-pollination that happens during BA could happen in small local get-togethers all year long. What about it, Bay Area peoples?

I will work setting up a separate thread for this, but for now wanted to get the word out to those who could not make it to BA in CA, but are in the Southwest. Arizona DIY 2009 is December 5th in Tucson.

Attachments

• azdiy2009.pdf
    98.4 KB · Views: 55
Some "fix it" items for Nelson

Some of us left some items for Nelson and his son to take back with them when BAF2009 was done. Understood that there were several items to look at. Was there any progress with fixing them thus far?? All return information was taped onto my box.

many thanks,

Ray Corte
diy ident: brutepuppy

Some one had a set of wave guide speakers and on short audition I quite enjoyed them. Amongst my other projects I would like to add a waveguide speaker project . Does any one know who the anonymous wave guide maker was?

Thanks
Bill

I'm terrible with names, but I'm pretty sure it was the guy in the photo holding the beer.

Also seen talking to Jack Hidley here.

The photos were taken by Vladimir at BAF '08, the year his waveguides were first auditioned. They sound very nice!

Last edited:
Burning Amp '09, the DVD?

BTW, and forgive me if the answer is somewhere down the thread where I hadn't read...

There were the people shooting some video in the back corner during the talks at Burning Amp. Not sure what the plans were but I was wondering if there was going to be a DVD available of that? I have a few pictures I shot, and was recording with my tiny mp3 player... but it would be nice to have full video and audio of the talks.

Some one had a set of wave guide speakers and on short audition I quite enjoyed them. Amongst my other projects I would like to add a waveguide speaker project . Does any one know who the anonymous wave guide maker was?

Thanks
Bill

It looks like I might be the one. At 2009 Burning Amp my speakers were demo'ed at the beginning of the upstairs events. (It is still possible that you are looking for someone else.)

You can see my speaker and a short description at:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/b...ts-Express.com - Entries for January 17, 2009

I have not documented my design and the waveguide is partially made of clay, tuned with frequency response measurements.

There are two waveguide projects that are particularly interesting:

MarkK has a very interesting 2-way with the Seas DXT tweeter and ER18 woofer. I have the DXT and it is pretty good; and it is surely the easiest and most consistent way to implement a waveguide:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?t=212276

As described in my blog, my speaker started as a hybrid of Zaph's ZD5 and the Waveguide TMM (link below):

http://www.zaphaudio.com/Waveguidetmm.html

When I first listened to used Ebay Seas 27TDFC tweeters; I was not impressed. Since these are well regarded tweeters, it may have been my set-up or these particular tweeters.

The closest one could get to my speakers would be to use the Zaph modified MCM waveguide with the Scanspeak AirCirc tweeter; and the ZD5 cabinet and woofer. It will require some crossover tweeks. (Alternately, the "stock" ZD5 will be very close in sound quality, albeit without a waveguide) But Mark K's design is the easy to implement, very repeatable, and affordable way to go for a waveguide speaker.

(Come to think of it, maybe I should wrangle an audition, he's "somewhere in California". I missed the DXT-ER18s when they were demo'ed at the NorCal DIY event. I was away on business; admittedly a relief after a summer of unemployment.)

BTW: my next two projects are to go to active crossovers and to lose the beer-belly (is that really me in those photos?).

Last edited:
BTW: my next two projects are to go to active crossovers and to lose the beer-belly (is that really me in those photos?).

I thought your speakers performed exceptionally well in that large room upstairs and they looked great too!

I'm very interested in your active Xover project. I've spent hours trying to figure out which design to use for my L1590 series 2s. Are you located in the Bay Area?

The first step to loosing the beer belly is to put down the beer... Ask me how I know. Just about all of us have them at this stage. :D

I thought your speakers performed exceptionally well in that large room upstairs and they looked great too!

I'm very interested in your active Xover project. I've spent hours trying to figure out which design to use for my L1590 series 2s. Are you located in the Bay Area?

Thanks for the compliment. Admittedly lots of the credit goes to audioman54 and his DAC and amps; and Zaph's ZD5 project, from which my speakers are derived.

My intention is to make up some simple op-amp boards for the cross-overs. But Mark Brasfield (audioman) and I are also curious about the Beringer DCX2496digital crossover.

I am in Oakland, where are you (PM may be appropriate)?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.