The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
baf37.jpg

Great pics guys!
I notice zero complaints from around the world this year due to lack of documentation.

Post 1265 - there's a magic moment! I bet a few gems were exchanged right then.

Can only say it was twice as good as last year! I really liked the format with a mixture of listening to music and hearing the presentations from Jan & Sigfried. I think we should definitely plan a few slots next year for anyone who'd like to share wisdom. So much of my knowledge is as a direct result of teachings from many of yesterdays esteemed guests. I think we should all try to mentor as they have.

So how to make it better next year...
Mark, you mentioned showdowns. I think a little rivalry could enhance the event. Maybe a thread based thing where people with similar amplifiers could compare using the same sources and speakers (for instance) And then of course, the beauty pageant. There were some beautiful pieces on show yesterday.
!!

WOW! Another great BAF has come and gone. I echo the thanks and kudos that have already been posted in much more eloquent terms than I am capable.

I thought it was fantastic having the chance to hear DIY equipment through the Xenia speakers! And once again, dtut's 6550 SE proved itself to be a fantastic amp and was very impressive! emergencydpt brought what I thought were the beautifully detailed DIY speakers of the event, his FrugalHorn spawns.

Thanks again to all who contributed their time and/or donations! See you next year!

Attachments

• emergencydpt.jpg
    emergencydpt.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,104
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Wavebourn,
Your photos are a delight and I am so pleased that people enjoyed the show. There are a couple of things we would like to do better-mostly moving along the demos so that everything gets a good exposure.

I agree that post 1265 is astonishing. Two giants, that disagree on many things, together and appearing to at least consider their commonalities over their differences.

The Eye Lady is a professional photographer I believe, and it shows.
For that reason we must accept her judgement here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1637148#post1637148

Variac said:
Wavebourn,
Your photos are a delight and I am so pleased that people enjoyed the show. There are a couple of things we would like to do better-mostly moving along the demos so that everything gets a good exposure.

I would say, we can go further: from sharing of impressions through gathering of photos to organizing of the album. I can give you a link on raw full format pictures if you can use them.

Anatoliy

I am still partying with my friends from Serbia, so that why I am so late in my responses. Just so you could understand I have two awesome tube amp and preamp designers and two exceptional speaker designers - one of them being RAAL. You could imagine what is going in my house. We were shaking the house the whole day yesterday with big omni speakrers from RAAL.
I will post a few shots from the event, but really I will be able to do some more over the weekend and to update the site. If you have images, please email me so I could send you instructions how to post to my FTP.

Since everyone posted GG bridge shots, here is one at the end of the day.

Attachments

• p1020710 2.jpg
    p1020710 2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,020
Oh Boy! What fun it was. I am back home, tired and at work, but it sure was every bit worth it. I had a blast. It was a pleasure meeting you all in person.

First of all I must thank Variac, AR2 and SY. As Mods, they put in so much effort DIYAudio perhaps would survive with out them.

Jason, thanks for your continued support and expenditure, err, investment of DIYAudio. It was a pleasure talking to you and we can continue that conversation off-line.

Variac - Thanks a lot for inviting me on Saturday, further, you sure made it worth it for me. AR2 thanks a lot for generously hosting the event. SY, Eyelady, thanks for sharing your dinner.

Santa Nelson, made christmas come in October. Jack, thanks for those drivers.

Meeting Jan was sure nice, hearing his RMAF experience was interesting.

SL's presentation was an eye opener. It made it very clear to me that there are some fundamental issues which may never be solved and Diana Krall may never appear realistically....

I finally listened to AMB's Beta 22. I know now, what my next Headphone amp project will be...

Twisted Pair DAC sure sounded very nice, compared to the Sony, I felt it had more details and air. Unfortunately in the show there was too much ambient noise to form any clear opinions. Atleast, I know investing on it is money well spent...

Damn, between, Beta22, Sabre DAC, RAAL Ribbons, and all the great must have stuff, my wallet will sure be hurting... I should never have gone to BAF :D

More later, so many other great experiences...

Regards,
Dinesh

I would like to thank the organizers Mark, Stuart and Vladimir, the presenters, and all the people who worked so hard to make BAF happen for their generosity and hospitality. And to all of those people such as Nelson, Alexander, Jack and others who made special contributions whether financial or to the raffle or to anyone that even walked in the door!

The best part of BAF for me was meeting new people, especially those such as Christian and Dinesh who came so far to be there, and spending the day with friends made last year.

I who never win anything came home with a pair of Moths from the raffle and 6 huge transformers. I originally picked up four of these but Variac was so persuasive about the transformers needing to GO that I took pity on him and took six instead.

Vladimir, I will make a CD of my photos and mail it to you. I will PM you for your address.

Graeme

" ... Is there an article somewhere about those little No2 pine single driver towers? ..."

This one, right? http://wavebourn.com/BAF/baf10.gif ... Yes! they did sound stupendous, totally shocking how good they sounded from simple pine boxes and a single driver. I didn't get his name, but he told me that the plans for the boxes are online somewhere and I'm sure he will ID the speakers at some point. :smash: ... these would make fantastic Christmas presents = a quick knock together from inexpensive parts = ship 'em out bare so the recipient can paint 'em to suit ... :D

Joined 2002
Paid Member
FastEddy said:
" ... Is there an article somewhere about those little No2 pine single driver towers? ..."

This one, right? http://wavebourn.com/BAF/baf10.gif ... Yes! they did sound stupendous, totally shocking how good they sounded from simple pine boxes and a single driver. I didn't get his name . . .

I believe these speakers were the creation of Bill / Lousymusician. He mentions them briefly in this post:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1622093#post1622093
where he describes them as BIB (bigger is better) boxes with CSS FR125 drivers.

I'm sure that Bill will eventually check in and give more details on the speakers.

---Gary

Wavebourn said:
I went upstairs and found this woofer in the corner. The only thought come, "Do you know gentlemen if this building is insured against an earthquake?"
I heard almost no harmonics, just a clean loud extremely low tone.

That one's mine. A friend of a friend had a scheduled showing of his pictures of whales, including life-sized projections of blue whales onto a wall, and he wanted to play blue whale songs to accompany the visuals. Now, blue whale songs aren't the usual eeeeooOOOOOooeeee you hear from humpbacks, but much lower - the fundamentals range between 10 Hz and 40 Hz.

I happened to have a couple of spare TC Sounds woofers on hand, and a session with WinISD (wonderful tool, highly recommended) showed 10 Hz was not possible with any sanity, but 16 Hz was definitely doable. Since that's the limit of human hearing, losing the bottom 2/3 octave wasn't a big deal. We just applied a 14 Hz high pass function to the stored whale songs so the really low frequencies wouldn't launch the cones across the room.

Ray (the original friend - he's the quiet guy with the really long hair you may have seen) and I planned the whole thing around 2' x 4' (61 cm x 122 cm) MDF panels from Orchard Supply, but we got a nasty surprise when we found they were as much as 1/8" (3 mm) off square. Just a heads-up, folks.

The cabinet was built with double-thick walls on all sides, laminated with Titebond glue. The laminations were held together by 3/8" (9 mm) nuts & bolts, with ductape-covered washers to distribute the compression and keep the bolt heads and nuts from sticking to the panels. At the same time the box was being held together with 21 furniture clamps, with extra screws holding the center partition and front-to-back and side-to-side bracing in place. We went through about a gallon of glue.

The ducts are 4" (10 cm) ABS sewer pipe, glued to the MDF with the same glue used to glue the 90 degree bend to the pipe. It works rather well, which is no surprise since MDF is half glue anyway. The ductwork and the inside front panel were preassembled with the rest of the cut panels before gluing up the whole box, to ensure that final construction would be well aligned. The ducts are about 32" (80 cm) long, tuned to around 18 Hz in a 5.5 ft^3 (155 liter) box.

F3 is between 16 and 17 Hz. 120 watts per driver moves the drivers well short of Xmax above Fb, but at 16 Hz the cones are working hard. It turns out the whale guy wanted to play other whale songs through this thing, including humpbacks which can range up to 1 or 2 kHz. Le (voice coil inductance) was our friend in this case, rolling off the highs so we didn't deafen the museum patrons.

If there's any interest, perhaps Ye Moderators might want to shift this thing to its own thread.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.