The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Tragically his pre does some weird stuff and he hasn't had time to investigate.. Every now and then the woofer on my speakers gets sucked one way - I guess some DC . The whole thing is scary. When it works it sounds very sweet. Vladimir has a lot of switches on the thing so maybe I'm "Doing It Wrong" "Why Don't You Tell Me About the Mystery Dance?" as Elvis Costello said..

We will get together and he will probably explain the setting and hit me upside the head ;) but I want a backup

My Pumpky in an envelope still...

Mark

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Variac said:
Tragically his pre does some weird stuff and he hasn't had time to investigate.. Every now and then the woofer on my speakers gets sucked one way - I guess some DC . The whole thing is scary. When it works it sounds very sweet. Vladimir has a lot of switches on the thing so maybe I'm "Doing It Wrong" "Why Don't You Tell Me About the Mystery Dance?" as Elvis Costello said..

We will get together and he will probably explain the setting and hit me upside the head ;) but I want a backup

My Pumpky in an envelope still...

Mark

naah ..... just chill :clown: ........and don't forget to waste few (sixpacks) with other spoiled kids ........ during , or after party ;)

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So here is how it will work:

You show up and register and take your components into the lower room for display on the tables therein. In the lower room we hope to have a continuous auditioning rotation all day of various of the components on display. There will be two areas for setting up systems and while one is demoing the other should be swapping in new components. You guys will have to organize this but I know that you can do it!! Try to give everyone a chance..

THEN , If you are scheduled for a demo upstairs, you should carry your component up at least two demos before your turn. You will physically place your component in the staging area. Right before your demo you should be ready to carry it into position and connect it . When your time comes up, you will have 15 min to demo it with whatever is around that will work best. We will have a track of music that is standard, but you should have a second track that shows your component well.

Big speakers that can't be carried up the stairs from the lower room are an exception. When you register, we can show you how to drive up to the upper level and we will help you load them into the staging area for a future demo.

Everyone should get at least one demo of one component. If you have demoed one component, please be willing to offer your second demo if you have another, to someone without a slot.

Nelson has been generous again ,and as you have read, others including Scott Wurcer and Elektor magazine and Audio Express Magazine, as well as diyAudio members, have donated all kinds of goodies, so bring some cash and checks to bid. Don't worry though, we will have lots of stuff to raffle off too.. So much in fact that it is a problem....

See you there!!!!!

Mark

Just wanted to put out some details of the Millet Hybrid Headphone amp you guys can get. The package includes:

http://www.diyforums.org/millett.html

TREAD Regulated Power Supply

Canare Starquad Interconnect

This is a great headphone amp, rarely used, with the goodness of a tube based input and a descrete diamond buffer output stage. It makes a great work/office rig. The power supply is housed in a separate case. I do not remember all the details now, but as usual I went overboard on maxing out everything - Vishay Dale resistors, Elna Silmic Caps, Alps Blue velvet pot, on and on. I do not have the tools now, it will opened up later this evening for some testing and I will be able to fill in additional details. Only on the cases, I did not spend much.

Here it is folks, bring in some more cash, BAF can use it, get yourself a sweet sounding headphone amp for your office.

Regards,
Dinesh

The "Shrine" amp has displayed a tendancy to peep/squeal/hoot/howl at a few MHz or so. making the sound gritty - it gets detention at home, while I figure out what's going on ( I have a few ideas, easier to sort out with the guts spread out over the bench rather than cooped up in a 6" cube). "Miz Piggy" and the "Mighty Mite" are behaving well, so they'll make the trip with me. See you all there....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.