The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
SY said:

When is Burning Amp?
October 20-21, 2007. Start getting ready

Who is Burning Amp?
It's you, it's us, it's the community.

As a recent transplant from New York to Silicon Valley, this seems too good to pass up. I know there must be a lot of tube geeks here but I hadn't run into any yet, so definitely count me in. I'd be glad to help out if you need assistance, with either some equipment or some hands on effort.

---Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to say what a fantastic idea. Dunno what I can bring, but would love to attend. I have a sofia so I can curve for kicks.
The SF tube audio enthusiat's group seems to be withering...this would be a great for bay area audio (and beyond) to re-connect.
Anyone taking tubes to the playa?....:)

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Will there be some test equipment ? A scope , oscillator , dummy load and DMM ? Some amps might emit ' blue smoke' and we might want to fix them !
Well, if Chris Anatech comes we'll have a Tech par excellance!!!! We just need the equipment...

As far as the swap goes, I would like to see lots of parts being traded in addition to just finished components..

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Mark,
Well, now I'm self conscious!

I could bring an HP 339A THD meter / oscillator. The problem is getting it through customs and in one piece. I'd rather some local gear.
An AP 1 or 2 would be faster I'm sure. I don't know how to operate one of these. Another piece for the wish list (and who wouldn't love one of these!).

An analog scope would be useful to use to check for oscillations, and connected to a THD meter, to show crossover distortion and other artifacts. A spectrum analyzer on the output of a THD meter would be very informative. Some fast testing and bias adjustment might be possible, but I wouldn't want to emphasize this.

A pair of dummy loads would be useful, again they would be difficult to get across the border. I do have some that could travel.

-Chris

bummed space...

My space is bummed. burningampman ---> :hot:
Wrong coast! Can't get there. Not enough ca$h, not enough free time...
Guess the left coast deserves an answer to JC's NY Noise and those guys up in Oregon?
And what's this about a "revolutionary" new ribbon speaker?
The last "revolutionary" ribbon speaker via a designer from Sweden (?) is patented, and reading the patent it seems not so very revolutionary at all... but what do I know?
And btw, it's supposed to be in a big desert!!

_-_-bear

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Bear,
Sorry you can't make it. You seem to have the right attitude!
Would love to hear one of your amps.

The ribbons might be more evolutionary rather than revolutionary, but they are exceptional... I'll let AR2 fill us in on that..

It's in a BIG BUILDING. maybe a good thing as a BIG DESERT Isn't so great for listening..

kstifido
I think that SYcamp will be called the "Large Listening Room"

Yes, we'll see what those BIG 15 WATTS will do!

Hey, is your F4 built yet? If not, can you change the input resistors from 47k to 100k and have the 100k resistors matched? It's a FET input, so that ought to be pretty arbitrary. I've got an interesting high voltage preamp idea on the workbench and may have finally found an appropriate use for the odd CV1988 sitting in my tube rack...

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You talkin' to me, bud?
I can accomodate you , but we need a way to also try Zen Mod's Pumpkin pre if he gets it here.. Probably there will be various F4's though.. (like maybe some REAL ones from Nelson) so mine can be "special" I'm afraid it will sound so good I'll have to buy the pre from you!:rolleyes: There have been lots of tube/SS hybrids with greater or lesser success, but I get the feeling that we're looking at greater success here. Appears that the sound of the pre really gets through from what I've read.. Plus if you have balanced outputs and I have a pair of F4's we will have 100watts/ch. That should fill the room!

Variac said:
Bear,
Sorry you can't make it. You seem to have the right attitude!
Would love to hear one of your amps.

The ribbons might be more evolutionary rather than revolutionary, but they are exceptional... I'll let AR2 fill us in on that..

It's in a BIG BUILDING. maybe a good thing as a BIG DESERT Isn't so great for listening..

kstifido
I think that SYcamp will be called the "Large Listening Room"

Ummm...

Come visit here, you can hear, or actually not hear, one of my amps!
:cool:

I do have a really new design amp that is still sitting in proto mode that would be perfectly neat for this adventure... of course I would have to cloak it in black darkness in order to maintain the integrity of its secretness!! <grabs can of flat black spray paint> I'm open to offers to "defray" the costs associated with "air travel" to get to this "desert in the City By The Bay extravaganza"! Any "white knight" types out there?? Pretty sure I can find a place to sleep with somepeople I know out there... probably. Believe me when I say my "discretionary funds" are exceptionally low. :bawling: :bawling:

Not sure who "AR2" is??
And yes, please tease us/me with some enticing specs/concepts??

Variac, there needs to be SAND and something to BURN there! Are you going to put down SAND or not!!! Gotta have sand if this is a proper burningamp event!

Sy, balanced? Not sure. Think somewhat unbalanced...Not terribly balanced?

_-_-bear

This is getting interesting! What makes me happy is that "The Burning Amp" is shaping as the event with international flavor. Here is the "missing" info regarding mysterious ribbons that SY has mentioned in his first post:

We are confirmed that Mr. Aleksandar Radisavljevic of RAAL fame will be our guest and presenter. RAAL ribbons are the ones that were discussed in several treads - most notably here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100392&highlight=

as well as here
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93218&highlight=

RAAL ribbons are valued by several independent and well respected DIYers as "the best tweeters ever". I will be very excited to hear them. I was informed that Mr. Radisavljevic is preparing to offer a limited amount of ribbons with "Burning Amp" discount as well.

As for myself I am planning to bring these guys that I haven't published yet here . These are my machining experiments with DIY Pass powerful 600W inside.
:) :) :)

Attachments

• topview.jpg
    topview.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 533
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.