The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
AR2 said:
October 31 = Halloween = The Day of the Dead

October 21 = Burning Amp Festival = The Day of the Dead Pumpkin

:) :) :) :) :) :)

as we spoke few days ago........... next year will be certainly The Day of Dead Brunhildr

:devilr: :devilr: :devilr:

Attachments

• 240px-brunhild_(postkarte),_g._bussière,_1897.jpg
    240px-brunhild_(postkarte),_g._bussière,_1897.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 318
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
wrenchone said:
Nobody should really be embarassed if their stuff has that rough-hewn or unfinished look. The projects I bring will be really homely and utilitarian. I'm primarily interested in the sounds, and checking out my amps on some other speakers besides my own.

naah.........
Mods .......

delete that post.......

he is too serious .........

:clown:

wrenchone said:
Nobody should really be embarassed if their stuff has that rough-hewn or unfinished look. The projects I bring will be really homely and utilitarian. I'm primarily interested in the sounds, and checking out my amps on some other speakers besides my own.

I like this attitude. I heard several times that people are scared to bring their stuff because they do not look much...

Burning Amp is meant for all of us to have a good time, to inspire, to meet each other and get to know faces behind the keyboard, to listen some good sounds and to go home after with feeling that you had a great time! It is unique chance to meet people you speak with on DIY audio board, some of them we learned so much from, some of them from another side of the globe....

Who cares if your project is on the plank of wood, as long as we had a good chat, glass of wine carefully selected by the real vine connoisseur and expert - SY, and listened some of the best sounds available in the Bay area.

I do not know about you, but I am counting days:
D day minus 21

:) :) :)

Variac said:
40 lbs would be the finished weight per each balanced (stereo) amp with everything..

The heatsinks are actually not too heavy , but big and I hope efficient.....

I listened to you Magura- no fans!!

Wow, that's super light :bigeyes: Got pics of the progress?

I think the lightest amp of thet type I've ever had anything to do with, ended up at roughly 40 kg.

Magura :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey Everyone!
It's almost 18 days to this event.

Please register at http://www.burningamp.com/ so everyone can see what's going on. Honestly, it's the only international DIY audio event I have ever heard of in North America.

We are starved for good two channel in North America. You should see what's available in Europe! The only way to wake people up is to attend and enjoy yourselves.

Why did I post this message? I looked at the number of confirmed attendees and expected more. We have people coming from Europe, we have people coming from the frozen north (that would be Canada). Ever wonder what Canadians look like? I'll be there, have a look - eh. :D Only some of us wear touques. :clown:

I don't think I can make it every year, but I truly want to see this as an annual event. We all deserve it.

-Chris

Thank you Anatech,

we really appreciate this support. I am positive that this will be the annual event.
We really do need to have strong two channel event in North America, or on the West Coast. What better place than San Francisco for that? Just look who are our special guests this year:

Nelson Pass, I do not need to give any introduction for Mr. Pass;

John Curl - I would say 90% positive he will be there.
I just had very pleasant and long conversation with him over the weekend. What a pleasure, what a knowledge, what a one of a kind experience to talk to someone with his experience and resume. Talking about audio history...

Aleksandar Radisavljevic owner and designer - RAAL ribbons - currently pronounced as the best tweeter someone could have. He will be making, destroying and reappearing his ribbon speaker in front of us (birth, life, death and reappearances of the ribbon) he will be offering special discount for the show buyers.

Jack Hidley VP Engineering, from NHT - he will be talking and demoing NHT speakers and plate amps. If you decide to purchase he will do measurement of your speaker right at the show.

Don Naples - partner with Mr. Linkwitz - he will be showing their Orions and Plutos speakers and talking about them.

Our own DIY gurus SY, Janneman and Anatech will be presenting to our gests.

I've just contacted Dan Norman of the Bay Area Tube Audio Entusiasts. He will send out an email to members.

Years ago BATAEG was a vibrant group with meetings @ the Randall Museum in SF. Slowed down a bit in recent years but there are core members that I am sure would love to attend.

I will hopefully get a few mates to come...Sadly we will be spectators. I have a few funky things I built years ago I could find.

What I can bring is my Sofia curve tracer. Have some tubes you need to check? I'll curve 'em for you. I also have some rare tubes we can carefully play with!:)

Most of my amps are commercial vintage tube.

-Kent

Attachments

• picture-1.jpg
    picture-1.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 348
anatech said:
Hey Everyone!
It's almost 18 days to this event.

Why did I post this message? I looked at the number of confirmed attendees and expected more.

-Chris

I too expected a whole lot more people would attend this event.

At risk of insulting the people whom have organized this, I will try to explain why I think people are not showing up.

The reaction I have gotten from people has been along the line of this quote:

I fear the event is gonna be difficult as well. Rushed, short,
expensive, etc etc... I really hope it works better than I forsee

End of quote.

To take this quote as an example, and to try to figure the how come's:

Rushed: With from 10 to 30 minutes for each event, it's not going to be much use we get out of it. Besides that 15 minutes for setting up and getting the former gear away is also VERY optimistic.

It will sure leave us with an absolute minimum of time for the social aspects, which I feel are very important (based on experiance from previous audio events).

Short: Well, it has become looking short, as two rooms is very little for such an event.

Expensive: Well, that's a personal opinion that I can't agree with 100%, but it's not going to attract people that they have to not only cover the expense of travelling to the event, but also pay to attend. I have never seen such need before.

So now we need solutions :)

Rushed: to get around this, I see a few options.

1) Find a school or the like whom are willing to let us use a few rooms for the day. This is a quite common solution around here. Companies has been known to allow such events on their premises.

2) Cut down the number of tasks during the event, in order to let people actually get something out of the individual events, and simply choose the events that appeals to most.

3) Make sure there is some sort of lunch on the site of the event, it saves loads of time. Something quick, easy and with plenty of energy. The same goes for drinks (but that was already in the plan, right?).

4) A combo of the above.

Short: Well, if we could find someplace else, we could also extend the event. At least we could set up the gear proper the night before and cut down the time spent on that on the day of the event.

Expensive: I find it hard to believe that there is no one whom can spare a few dollars to make up the 1000 USD spent so far , many of us has spent close that amount alone, just to attend.

Consider this a few suggestions....not a rant :)

Magura :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.