The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
very pleasant

Sitting next to Mrs Jill Pass all evening was like a California super lotto jackpot, for an all-time Threshold fanatic.

(when your face starts to resemble Mickey Rourke's, you realise there are smarter ways to pay for university tuition, even without ever having lost a rumble. main issue is how a 4-eyes 'professor' prevents the geek rough-up routine, starting at elementary school, without having to resolve to an annual display of physical power)

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I put a passive crossover together so that people could hook up their own
amps to drive them easily, which many did.

The inductor was 12 mH, the cap was 100 uF driving an 8 ohm L pad, and
there was a .25mH coil in parallel with 2 ohm, these in series with the
Lowther PMA6 in order to trim the top a bit. The woofers were wired out-
of-phase to get the crossover to work.

It doesn't sound quite as good as the active system, but the acoustics in the
room were the biggest problem.

Then again, at shows they always are.

Many thanks to all who attended, and most to those who were always
so helpful - you guys really make the effort worthwhile.

Also, it was a pleasure to share the room with TerryG and his speakers
and electronics, which I thought sounded very good, BTW

p.s. The photo of me under the table is me retrieving lost bag of very
expensive parts....

:cool:

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
And ZM is Jack's new best friend.

Attachments

• choky 2.jpg
    choky 2.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 343
it had some play time ;

comments ?

it doesn't need them .

:devily:

It sounded extremely smooth, creamy, lush. I'm used to a bit more "bite" in the top end, but could easily fall in love with this power jfet. I'm not up to speed on the amp's topology, but like to hear more from the upper frequencies. As a reference, I think of the "beast with a thousand jfets", which did everything a man could ask from a sweet little amp. It would be interesting to see the spec sheet on the new Pass Power Jfet.

Also, it was a pleasure to share the room with TerryG and his speakers
and electronics, which I thought sounded very good, BTW

p.s. The photo of me under the table is me retrieving lost bag of very
expensive parts....

:cool:

Well although it was pleasure for Nelson (his words) to share the room it was an honor for me. Nelson was always concerned whether or not I got enough play time with my stuff. I just loved everything and was often to busy out looking at others stuff to worry about whether or not I got to show off any of the things I brought.

Oh and the highlight of the show was the 1000 jfet Beast amps for me. Nelson wouldn't let me take them home.

Terry

Last edited:
You are actually pretty close... What you are seeing is Nelson answering my noob questions as I get my head around building an Aleph J with power Jfets. Which he just gave me, and are actually in my hand in that photo!

I only wish Nelson would sell me a bag of JFETs and the PCBs for building the Beast. When he does I will be first in line I can tell you that much.

I was a bit sceptical thinking that having just a bunch of bass drivers without the slot would be just as good, but now I'm wondering, the bass was so nice..

The slot has more WAF/SAF than 8 bass drivers visible, so a winner in that regard too IMHO

Mark

I was talking to Seigfried about this slot thing, and the cool thing as he explained it is that the slot lowers the effective fs of all the drivers. So say the fs is 20hz by using them in the slot in this fashion you can lower the fs to 14hz. So it is little wonder that Nelson picked this design. Having more drivers also increases the efficiency to come closer to the Lowther of course.

Cool huh?

T

Over the last two years, i was really looking forward to the final outcome of the Beasty boyz.
The moment i entered the Pass room on saturday morning, i saw the 4x588 drive, thinking, Yeey, i scored a few pleasure points more for embarking on my first ever airplane ride.

Sorta dissapointed when it was the SiCk amp's turn.
The SIT sounded so much more fluid and spacious than the JFET critter, bummer.

(still, OB's really do not tickle my saliva, me curious how much adrenaline an LSJ74/LSK170 version would add to my ESL addiction. Gimme the 74, Lebowski !)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.