The Burning Amp Festival- an Audio Happening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I started a thread here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/176520-powerphysics-amps-burning-amp.html#post2352231

Paul, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the show. More than anything it makes me very happy the great donations from PowerPhysics went into the right hands, to someone who is going to puts it to use. I will be getting some more info from them regarding the amps wiring and specifications, and I will be happy to share that with you. I will start a thread at ClassD forum, where I will post all the info, for anyone. It will be great if you would document your work and findings there.

Best
AR2

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jason reminds me of Richard from LOST in a way. The ageless ''others'' leader.:)

Attachments

• 449px-Lost-Richard_06.jpg
    449px-Lost-Richard_06.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 431
And I wanted to see Papa on video...something like distant learning, you know...

p.s. Jan, it seems that wives at BAF didn't mind the size of those speakers. I wonder how...:scratch:;)

Linear Systems guys, I believe it was Mr. Kirkwood's son, (I apologize if I am wrong) recorded all the speeches. Once they have it available we will post to the site. As far as I am aware they recorded pretty much every lecture, and I will be happy to post them on BAF site, once I receive it.

While we are talking about Linear Systems, I have to thank them for all they did for us. They printed our event staff shirts, they recorded the event, they built their new diy jFet amp and presented it during the show and Mr. Kirkwood hosted an outstanding lecture! On the top of that, they had a full team including their President at the show. I do not think that diy community could ever complain again that it doesn't have enough attention. With that they will be selling N and their new P small jFets to individuals. My sincere thank you goes to the whole Linear Systems team!

Video is different beast from photography, and editing takes and needs some time, in order to look decent. So give it some time and you will have it. In the meantime, I would encourage everyone to post their photos on BAF site.

I agree with several of the other commentators that the lectures from Nelson Pass and Siegfried Linkwitz were high points of the day. Nelson in particular shared a few interesting tidbits. ]

+1 ... But I also enjoyed Kirkwood's presentation.
The event was definitely worth the drive up from So Cal.
Many thanks to the organizers as well as the presenters.
And I got the t-shirt -- woohoo!

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well said Vladimir, I agree. Linear Systems came through for us in a big way.

As far as video, it is indeed being cleaned up for posting.

Apparently Siegfried Linkwitz's talk was a bit truncated, but I saw his wife recording the audio, so we can eventually add the audio track to the end of the video so that nothing will be missed.

Linear Systems guys, I believe it was Mr. Kirkwood's son, (I apologize if I am wrong) recorded all the speeches. Once they have it available we will post to the site. As far as I am aware they recorded pretty much every lecture, and I will be happy to post them on BAF site, once I receive it.

While we are talking about Linear Systems, I have to thank them for all they did for us. They printed our event staff shirts, they recorded the event, they built their new diy jFet amp and presented it during the show and Mr. Kirkwood hosted an outstanding lecture! On the top of that, they had a full team including their President at the show. I do not think that diy community could ever complain again that it doesn't have enough attention. With that they will be selling N and their new P small jFets to individuals. My sincere thank you goes to the whole Linear Systems team!

Video is different beast from photography, and editing takes and needs some time, in order to look decent. So give it some time and you will have it. In the meantime, I would encourage everyone to post their photos on BAF site.

2010 BAF Tee Shirts - Update- Shirts are still available for after-show sales

In the event you were not able to attend the show or were not able to purchase a tee shirt, you have a limited opportunity to do so now.

We still have small number of the 2010 BAF Linear Systems, Watt Sucking Fireball #5 tee shirts available for sale. The Tee Shirts are available in Black in sizes S, M, L, XL, 2XL, 3XL for a price of $15.00. Domestic Customers add $5.00 for shipping via US Priority Flat Rate Envelope, Intenational Customers add $14.00 for shipping US Priority Flat Rate International Envelope, per shirt.

Your order can be placed thru the LIS website using a credit card. Please provide the size and number of shirts you want along with a phone number. LIS will contact you to confirm your order and recieve your credit card information (A/M, M/C, Visa).

Tee Shirt Design: SlicART Sportswear

Tee Shirt Ordering: Linear Integrated Systems - Contact Us/Support

800-359-4023

Paul Norton
Linear Integrated Systems

Twisted Pear DAC with Cisco Casework?

Hi Everybody,

It was nice to see everyone and their handiwork. I wish I had more time these days to try to keep up.

Did anyone catch the name of the gentlemen who was showing the Twisted Pear DAC mounted in the old Cisco router? I'd love to know more about his project.

Cheers!

Hi Everybody,

It was nice to see everyone and their handiwork. I wish I had more time these days to try to keep up.

Did anyone catch the name of the gentlemen who was showing the Twisted Pear DAC mounted in the old Cisco router? I'd love to know more about his project.

Cheers!

I am the one who brought in the buffalo dac. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Now that things have settled down a little, some stats? How many people attended this time around? Were we in the black money-wise?

Observations:

The red -shirt helpers were a plus in keeping things happening and organized. Multiple rooms also helped.

Maybe next time it would be better to schedule the next do not so close to Halloween. I had a lot more trouble finding parking than the first time around at Fort Mason. The party in building D was probably a contributing factor.

Projects seem to ebb and flow each year. This time there seemed to be a shortage of preamps - read line amps w/ volume controls, mostly, though a few more RIAA preamps would have helped, as dtut brought 3 DIY turntables to audition, and seemed to have some trouble locating folks with RIAA preamps. There was also a shortage of speakers to play things through (I still miss the Metronomes from the first BA - they sounded nice no matter what got played through them).

It would be interesting if folks who brought stuff to this year's BA chimed in as to what they brought so that it could be sorted out by category. That way we can try to figure out what we could bring next time so that everyone could have a better chance to audition their equipment, with the realization that the distribution of stuff might change yet again next year...

I tried to do my bit for speakers and preamps this year, but the flying fickle finger of fate poked me in the eye the night before the show, and is still finding ways to gouge me as I write this. Persistence will win out, though. By next year, I'll have any issues with my preamps, crossovers, and biamped speakers sorted out (though the speakers are sounding much nicer with the Half-Nelson replacing a chip amp driving my mid-woofs). I plan to also have boxes with passive crossovers, so that I can play my speakers as passive or bi-amped (top or bottom?).

In a way, I'm kinda glad things worked out the way they did, as I would have had a whole carload of stuff to haul to BA rather than just 3 boxes. Hauling it all back and sorting out the carnage on the home front after the show seems to be more arduous than hauling it there...

thought I'd broken this addiction

While I am not much of a subjectivist, my personality does give preference to feeling (I'm an INFP). I also have an extensive education in the social sciences and nursing. I helped my father built a Dynaco 70 and pre-amp. I LOVE music. Many kinds. I also like movies. I primarily build active speakers, something I thought I'd gotten over during the last seven years or so. It was a time of transition yet my love of building something that sounds beautiful (and measures well) re-asserted itself. It seems like such a male thing to be involved with and most male characteristics I find abhorrent yet I am glad to have this hobby in my life.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I always have impression that creativity is above gender thing .....

in any case - few girls in this hobby - is more way of organization of things in our society , than way of functionality of male/female

I'm male just by mistake :rofl: at least judging by ratio of male/female in "me" ......

and - I'm not considering sex in that at all ; just ways of my perception of things , taking usual presumptions what's male/female ........ so - messing with creative things ....there is nothing more romantic to me

anyway - An Inquiry into Values - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - diyaudio.rs

;)

Jaco, since you asked -

Planned to bring -

One pair of Parts Express "Tri-Trix" speakers, bi-amped. I was considering throwing the passive crossover parts included with the kit in a pair of boxes with banana plugs and jacks so that I could also run the speakers passive, but there was just no time. These are sounding nicer and nicer in my living room as they break in and I shift other, better sounding amps into duty for driving the mid-woofs. My "Shrine" single-ended amp is currently driving the tweeters until I come up with a couple of other designs for low power SE amps. These speakers will probably benefit from an audio testing setup I'm trying to gin up with a netbook and an outboard interface (probably the E-Mu). The speakers didn't make it to BA because the preamp/lineamp/crossover didn't make it.

New integrated RIAA amp and line amp with jfet innards - this also powers an outboard jfet active crossover, with the eventual option being an inboard crossover. I was wrestling with this one at 1 AM the night before the show, and just decided to accept fate and bring what I had working. This box is still giving me various difficulties, but I'll sort things out in the next couple of weeks. Ideally, at the next BA, I could have several options for RIAA and lineamp modules that could easily be swapped in and out. I had similar preamp options at the last couple of BAs, but I think nobody took them very seriously (the Bud box syndrome). This next box is much prettier and better organized.

"No Light District" push-pull 6CW5 amp with active cathode bias and Blumlein "Garter" bias compensation to improve matching between tubes. This one was giving me fits for various reasons (conceptual and implementation - check the thread), so I wisely decided a week beforehand to shelve it for lower-hanging fruit. The improved version is now ready to go, and I may power it up tomorrow with some bench supplies, and after that with a custom SMPS. It in turn will be supplanted by a simpler design with 6BQ5 outputs, mosfet buffers and a much more straightforward setup for the Blumlein Garter bias circuit. I wouldn't have thought of it without going to the trouble of the first "NLD" circuit.

"Lil Devil" hybrid jfet/tube P-P amp in a 6" cube with jfet differential inputs and 6JB5/JC5 outputs, along with an internal SMPS. This one has been temporarily shelved because the tight internal construction has made it a real PITA to bring up and debug. An 8" cube would have been much nicer. This one will eventually get finished when I reconcile myself to wrestling with it.

A demo breadboard for a switching cathode bias circuit for nasty low-mu triodes like the 6080, the 6S41S, and 6C33 that all require lots of negative bias and lots of plate current, simultaneously. I actually have a low(er) frequency version of this working that just needs a couple of resistor tweaks, but it's sitting on my desk at work waiting for some after-hours attention. This circuit would have needed a couple of bench supplies, a scope, and a meter or two to display it to best advantage.

What actually made it -

A revamped version of the "Half Nelson" amp that I brought to the first BA. At the time, it had low gain and was difficult to drive. It was also running from an external bench supply due to supply rejection issues (big hum!!). It got an improved current source (depletion mode mosfet vs. LM317), revamped bias/gain network, and an improved power supply with a capacitance multiplier that killed the power supply hum, and as a side benefit, also eliminated turn-on thump. It acquitted itself very well at BA with a pair of efficient speakers. I will be building a prettier version for the next BA, probably incorporating some Semisouth SiC depletion mode jfets. The amp is currently occupying an honored position in my living room, the first time since I built it. Before, it was sitting in my basement until I finally got around to installing the improvements. I wanted it to butt heads against a "Delite" amp, but nobody brought one....

"Kingfisher" P-P amp using jfet differential inputs cascoded with the small triodes from a pair of 6CS7s. The larger triodes from the 6CS7s were used as current-source loaded cathode followers to drive 7591A (EH) outputs (fixed bias, pentode mode). The power and output iron came from a Fisher 500B receiver, hence the name. This one also sounded very nice with the same set of speakers at BA. It's also the nicest-looking tube amp I've built so far.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.