The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

If one built a boominator but never installed the 47ohm resistors to the piezo tweeters, only two hp10w and two crappy piezoz (all in paralell) on each channel of the maxamp20, what is the probable/possible consequences?.

Substituting parts is not a good way to start. :) Do you have any specs on the tweeters you used? They may be too low in resistance and putting too much load on the amp. Hopefully you have not damaged the amp too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.ljudia.se/produkter/hogtalare/hogtalarelement/diskant/dap-piezo-qlm-1005

These are the ones i used, cant find any spec shets for them so thats all the info i've got :confused:

yeah those are bog standard 1005 piezos, they are essentially just capacitors, and present a pure capacitative load to the amp in its pass band, and the amp may run away with high frequency oscillations and shut itself off either by overload switch if you're lucky or smoke signal, that's the reason the resistor is put in series with the tweeter.

i want to make a small portable speaker to replace one iv had for a few years and has now broken, the old one used an Amp6 Basic and as i can't get a direct replacement iv been recommended a Maxamp20. unfortunately my grasp of the intricacies of electronics is limited at best (the Amp6 Basic was put together by an acquaintance who iv since lost contact with) i just connected all the big parts together and im worried that there will be lots of fiddly bits on the amp to mess with before everything works. apart from connecting the battery, two speakers and mp3 player is it plug and play or do i need to do something scary like soldering stuff? on the store page for the Maxamp20 it recommends also purchasing a potentiometer for volume control, is this essential or could i do that from the mp3 player? i intend to use four speakers in total on two maxamps and attaching the mp3 player to both with a splitter cable, would there be any problems with that setup?

Just checking in with an action shot of my boominator (featuring an aterren chassis).

Been going strong for a year now!

z0Jf8Ce.jpg

Folks
If there are at least 4 people interested, I will do another run of the CNC cases in early 2017.

I'll plan to use the phenolic coated plywood again because it is tough as nails though expensive at $200/sheet. You can assume the cost will be $325 for the basic flat pack and $425 with the edges rounded over, grills, assembled crossovers and glue up of everything but the front and back baffles. Shipping last time was around $60 in the USA (from memory) and pickup from my house would be free. I live ~40 minutes north of New York City in Connecticut.

Drop me a PM if you are interested so we don't create a lot of noise in the thread.

Greetings everyone,

I'm compiling information to build a Boominator along with 2 Cubo 15 but despite have read most of this long-*** thread I'm getting into what looks like the limitation of my techincal understanding.

The setup would be as follow for the Boominator:

• Drivers: Eminence Basslite S2010 (x4) and PHT-407N (x4)
  • Amplifier: Maxamp20 (x2)
  • Crossover: MiniDSP 2x4
  • Battery: LiFePo4 12V battery 10ah

Setup for the Cubos 15:
  • Drivers: Kappalite-3015lf (x2)
  • Amplifier: Bassface 1.2db 2014 (x1).
  • Battery: See below, related questions.

I have few questions regarding the setup.

1. Is one Bassface 1.2db 2014 amplifier enough for both Cubos?

2. I'm planning to use a dedicated reggae pre-amp which has crossover (active filter) X – 90Hz – 200Hz – 3k5 – X when using the boominator along with the two Cubo 15. Considering the Boominator would already have its own active filter (miniDSP with the bi-amp), is there a way to disable the crossover when the pre-amp is in use?

3. What would be an alternative setup to crossover 3-way with the pre-amp when using the boominator and the cubos and have the Boominator 2-way when the Boominator is used alone without the pre-amp and Cubos? (considering the drivers used).

4. Not directly related but thought some of you could advise. The rig will mainly be used to play vinyls (as well as phone, MP3 etc, from time to time). What would be a good option to power the turntable (12v portable Numark PT01) as well as the pre-amp?​

4a: Get a bigger (more efficient?) battery able to power the Cubos and the pre-amp/turntable?

4b: Have dedicated batteries for the pre-amp/turntable and dedicated battery for the Cubos?

5. I was thinking of having an electronics box with the Cubos amplifier (bassface 1.2d 2014), batteries, and pre-amp (something along the line of the box created here: Sonnyvogn - Album on Imgur Thoughts?​

The specs of the pre-amp can be found here: https://www.rdhelectronics.fr/order/kits/pdfv2/53NANOPRE_V3_1_EN.pdf

Probably also important, I plan to have the full setup on battery for probably 24 hours maximum (very likely and realisticaly less).

Many Thanks for your help.

Peace

Last edited:
Greetings everyone,

I'm compiling information to build a Boominator along with 2 Cubo 15 but despite have read most of this long-*** thread I'm getting into what looks like the limitation of my techincal understanding.

The setup would be as follow for the Boominator:

• Drivers: Eminence Basslite S2010 (x4) and PHT-407N (x4)
  • Amplifier: Maxamp20 (x2)
  • Crossover: MiniDSP 2x4
  • Battery: LiFePo4 12V battery 10ah

Setup for the Cubos 15:
  • Drivers: Kappalite-3015lf (x2)
  • Amplifier: Bassface 1.2db 2014 (x1).
  • Battery: See below, related questions.

I have few questions regarding the setup.

1. Is one Bassface 1.2db 2014 amplifier enough for both Cubos?

2. I'm planning to use a dedicated reggae pre-amp which has crossover (active filter) X – 90Hz – 200Hz – 3k5 – X when using the boominator along with the two Cubo 15. Considering the Boominator would already have its own active filter (miniDSP with the bi-amp), is there a way to disable the crossover when the pre-amp is in use?

3. What would be an alternative setup to crossover 3-way with the pre-amp when using the boominator and the cubos and have the Boominator 2-way when the Boominator is used alone without the pre-amp and Cubos? (considering the drivers used).

4. Not directly related but thought some of you could advise. The rig will mainly be used to play vinyls (as well as phone, MP3 etc, from time to time). What would be a good option to power the turntable (12v portable Numark PT01) as well as the pre-amp?​

4a: Get a bigger (more efficient?) battery able to power the Cubos and the pre-amp/turntable?

4b: Have dedicated batteries for the pre-amp/turntable and dedicated battery for the Cubos?

5. I was thinking of having an electronics box with the Cubos amplifier (bassface 1.2d 2014), batteries, and pre-amp (something along the line of the box created here: Sonnyvogn - Album on Imgur Thoughts?​

The specs of the pre-amp can be found here: https://www.rdhelectronics.fr/order/kits/pdfv2/53NANOPRE_V3_1_EN.pdf

Probably also important, I plan to have the full setup on battery for probably 24 hours maximum (very likely and realisticaly less).

Many Thanks for your help.

Peace

For a mobile battery powered PA the cubos are a good choice.
But the boominator is not that good.
On top of two 15" subs, a double 10" or 12" mid top and a big tweeter horn should be enough.
Maybe even a single 12" is enough.
You need lots of energy to produce bass outdoors.
Using two subs is a good approach to get more overall sensitivity.
Mids and highs are much easier, at least battery- and amping-wise.
100W into a mid woofer is a lot and 100W into a tweeter horn...you'll not need that.
It is much harder to amp the subs, not only because of the amps, but also because of the batteries you'll need.

I'd built a top made out of single high quality woofer and a tweeter horn.
If you build it as a br cab, it might become quite compact and serve you as a (still potent) boombox when you do not have the subs with you.
It can be powered be a single supply class d amp so you do not need all those heavy batteries all the time.
A single 36V lipo or something similar should work.

Build the cubos and look for bigger amps.
IRS2092 based stuff like hypex ucd2k or something like that.
4x 36V polymer batteries or 10x sla batteries is what you need in that case.

Hey guys I've nearly finished my halfinator but really questioning myself about my wiring. I feel like I may have stuffed something up with the whole 180° phase switch.
Here's how I did it.
Sorry about my diagram did it on my phone

Attachments

• afc3edc5-69bc-4a60-a978-70a09b2d9e00.png
    afc3edc5-69bc-4a60-a978-70a09b2d9e00.png
    197.8 KB · Views: 371
For a mobile battery powered PA the cubos are a good choice.
But the boominator is not that good.
On top of two 15" subs, a double 10" or 12" mid top and a big tweeter horn should be enough.
Maybe even a single 12" is enough.

I'm a bit confused as I thought the Boominator for a mobile battery powered system was the boombox of choice and optimised for portability, low power usage and sound quality.

You need lots of energy to produce bass outdoors.
Using two subs is a good approach to get more overall sensitivity.

That's my understanding as well and the reasoning behind having two Cubos.

Mids and highs are much easier, at least battery- and amping-wise.
100W into a mid woofer is a lot and 100W into a tweeter horn...you'll not need that.
It is much harder to amp the subs, not only because of the amps, but also because of the batteries you'll need.

Which is again the reason for using the Boominator and having a separate kit when using the subs. I would like to have the PA to be as modular as possible, and what I posted above seem to be a good compromise for someone just starting getting into building its own boxes and what not. Ideally the aim would be to have a complete sound but it's just not realistic at the moment from a storage and money point of view.

The main problem I'm facing at the moment is understand the energy requirements for the non boomnator-related piece of kit:

• Cubos
  • amp
  • pre-amp
  • turntable

Thanks for your help

Independent power supplies (batteries) worked best for me.
I truly recommend going for a 12" woofer plus horntweeter instead of a boominator, especially if storage and money are limiting factors.
I have one single 10" above two cubo 12.
I already have woofers for two cubo 15 and i'm pretty sure, the 10" mid woofer will be enough .... nonetheless my companion has the same 10" speaker, so they can get linked up if more spl is needed.

Build a 12"-1" top and feed it with something like TDA7498 powered by two/three sla or on 36v lifepo4.
You'll get decent results.
Connecting the same amping to the cubos will not sound right.
At least in my case i only got heavily distorted sound...no it wasn't sound it was just farting.
I thought something was wrong with the build of the cabinets or the woofers or something else.
I lent pro pa amps and the results where super nice.
The best working system i have now is 8 sla batteries powering an IRS2092 based china amp.
As soon as i have more time i will test the TAS5630 i already have and the TDA8954 board i am still waiting for.

There are turntables that works with a 12v sla battery.

Preamp can be powered by two 9v batteries if it is selfmade (and most others can be tweaked).
minidsp a nice option for a crossover.
I'd rather invest into a minidsp than into 3 additional mid woofers.