The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Yet another noob question

Is it possible to find detailed instructions anywhere? Things like wiring diagrams, technical drawings of cabinet components (following ISO standard) and useful tips and hints. The site canopysound.dk mentions a guide, but the site seems off-line and more or less dead. Their kit is also permanently discontinued.

I have the SketchUp model, but I probably am to noob to understand how to use it. I can disassemble the components but I cannot arrange them as a proper standard drawing with measurements.
I have also looked at the instructable mentioned above The Boominator: 360° of 115dB music and that of cause is a big help - but what about detailed wiring?

I am sorry if this is recurring question. I have tried to browse this forum but +600 pages is a lot and I probably missed out
:confused:

First of all, I apologize for the prolonged absence from my thread. I hope everyone got the help they needed from other users. I'm sure you all did :D

In the past 8 months I've been developing a commercial outdoor speaker that are in many ways similar to the boominator. And in many other ways completely unique.

It's a kickstarter project but unlike other such projects we already have a finished product, set up production and worldwide logistics to make sure we can deliver the pledged speakers before the Summer starts.

You can find the project here: https://www.soundboks.com/kickstarter

I apologize for the sales pitch but I'm just very excited to show you all what I've been working on.

Last edited:
First of all, I apologize for the prolonged absence from my thread. I hope everyone got the help they needed from other users. I'm sure you all did :D

In the past 8 months I've been developing a commercial outdoor speaker that are in many ways similar to the boominator. And in many other ways completely unique.

It's a kickstarter project but unlike other such projects we already have a finished product, set up production and worldwide logistics to make sure we can deliver the pledged speakers before the Summer starts.

You can find the project here: https://www.soundboks.com/kickstarter

I apologize for the sales pitch but I'm just very excited to show you all what I've been working on.
That is awesome! Congratulations on the successful Kickstarter campaign.

Good job on the amp! I see a SigmaDSP doing psychoacoustics work, a Bluetooth receiver, a step-up DC/DC converter and a pair of TPA3118s. Basically everything I wanted to design into the "ultimate" cAMP card but never had the time to work on.

That is awesome! Congratulations on the successful Kickstarter campaign.

Good job on the amp! I see a SigmaDSP doing psychoacoustics work, a Bluetooth receiver, a step-up DC/DC converter and a pair of TPA3118s. Basically everything I wanted to design into the "ultimate" cAMP card but never had the time to work on.

Thanks. Actually those aren't TPA3118s, they're from the TAS576x family. The amp has fully digital signal path from input to output. And yes, it's also a poly/multi-phase step up. The SigmaDSP is a brand new digital input/output only variant with 32bit processing (not that it matters much for SQ if it's 28bit or 32bit but damn it's difficult to program when you have to convert all application note notations from 23.5 or 28.0 format to 25.7 or 32.0 format).

Thanks. Actually those aren't TPA3118s, they're from the TAS576x family. The amp has fully digital signal path from input to output. And yes, it's also a poly/multi-phase step up. The SigmaDSP is a brand new digital input/output only variant with 32bit processing (not that it matters much for SQ if it's 28bit or 32bit but damn it's difficult to program when you have to convert all application note notations from 23.5 or 28.0 format to 25.7 or 32.0 format).
Awesome. Are you licensing MaxBASS or some other commercial algorithm for the psychoacoustic enhancement, or running your own? (If you don't mind me asking..)

are these the right filter parts?

I'm planning to build a boominator with the HP10W woofers and the PHT407N tweeters. As amplifier i would like to use the C-Amp. But now am i lost in the big maze of resistors and inductors for my hihg/lowpass filters.

I've been looking for this parts that Saturnus advised in this sketch.
HP10W%20PHT407N%20filter_zpspw9scub5.jpg

The parts i found are these, is there someone who can judge if these are decent enough?

- 0.3mH coil

- 4Ohm 5W Wirewound resistor axially wired

- 1.5 uF capacitor radially wired

And if i forgot anything, really like to hear it!

@horst303, we don't use p.audio driver but custom made drivers from a well-known international supplier. The Woofer are even delivered in matched pairs.

@hormilo, they are 96dB average. And they are slightly under 4ohm each, each speaker, woofers and tweeters have a dedicated amplifier which has dual rail voltage dc-dc converter. And the cabinet is not made tuned for absolute flatness. I think you'll find the math holds up... and then some.

Oi Saturnus
Welcome back. Your thread was quite a read.. :)

Ive bought HP10W and PHT407N drivers for a boominator
making my own 24V amp & solarpanel battery MPPT charger

I'm not gonna bi-amp it so I'm thinking a 2nd order passive filter will do :)
Quoting you from a few years back, you wrote (#4545)
On pht407n: 2300Hz 2nd order L-R high pass, no low pass, damped -7dB, tweeter inverted

On hp10w: 2100Hz 2nd order B-W low pass, 46hz 4th order L-R high pass, no attenuation
That was advice for a DSP/active filter.

I've designed a simple passive version with a 2.1kHz lowpass with ~Q=0.71 and and 2.3kHz highpass with ~Q=0.5 (and either 3.3/3.9 ohm in series)
Should give the same results, right?

Oh, and do you have any recommendations for a fitting solar panel? I've been looking at something like
Amorf solcellemodul 6 W/12 V- DK
but its gonna be awfully close to 300mm width without the frame

Why not? It has a lot of benefits, especially with a high(er) power amplifier and in a portable setup.

All true - mostly worries of idle consumption and minor worries about component cost. If bi-amping i'd build an amp with lower freq. for the HP-10W to save idle power but im not sure i'd have time to test and optimize (self-oscillating design) so much new hardware in the limited free time I've got :p

It'll be a project for another time :)